How hard is it to get a threaded barrel on a P7M8?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How hard is it to get a threaded barrel on a P7M8?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default How hard is it to get a threaded barrel on a P7M8?

I never would have considered this before, but I find myself wanting the Dead Air Odessa 9. And this is their promo material:

How hard is it to get a threaded barrel on a P7M8?-odessa-9-spy.jpg That is beautiful and I want to be able to do it if I do in fact end up buying this suppressor. Is it possible/practical to get a threaded barrel put on a P7M8? I seem to remember some talk about extending the stock barrel by cutting threads and screwing on an adapter, but that sounds janky to me.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

You need a factory extended barrel. Not common at all.

Mark McWillis of TROS does the backthreading you are talking about. People used to pay stupid money for a factory extended length P9S barrel until he developed that technique, but if you wanted a .45 P9S set up for a can, a factory barrel (or at least a new over length threaded barrel installed on a factory trunnion) is your only option, there is not enough "meat" to do the work safely.

I found a factory P7 barrel that had been previously cut/threaded 1/2x28". Sent it to H&K USA for installation. Got it back, took it to the range, shot it, listed it for sale. Bluntly put, P7 series (unless we are talking K3 in .22LR or .32, 9mmk the can is too big) suck for suppressing. Looks cool as all get out, but loud. LOUD. That pop when the gas system vents is atrocious.

Save your money.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont View Post
    You need a factory extended barrel. Not common at all.

Mark McWillis of TROS does the backthreading you are talking about. People used to pay stupid money for a factory extended length P9S barrel until he developed that technique, but if you wanted a .45 P9S set up for a can, a factory barrel (or at least a new over length threaded barrel installed on a factory trunnion) is your only option, there is not enough "meat" to do the work safely.

I found a factory P7 barrel that had been previously cut/threaded 1/2x28". Sent it to H&K USA for installation. Got it back, took it to the range, shot it, listed it for sale. Bluntly put, P7 series (unless we are talking K3 in .22LR or .32, 9mmk the can is too big) suck for suppressing. Looks cool as all get out, but loud. LOUD. That pop when the gas system vents is atrocious.

Save your money.
    Sadly TROS might be in hot water so Tornado might be the only people that could do it.
    Lamont likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That right there is pure sex!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Sadly TROS might be in hot water so Tornado might be the only people that could do it.
    I hadn't heard......

Agreed, Tornado Tech can and will handle anything Mark does or did. I have used both, no problems either way.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Can you expound upon this before I place an order?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I hadn't heard......

Agreed, Tornado Tech can and will handle anything Mark does or did. I have used both, no problems either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    Can you expound upon this before I place an order?
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/scam-tag.../topics/481444

It’s sucks because I’ve worked with him in the past. I have two AR15 3-Lug barrels that have worked well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post
    I never would have considered this before, but I find myself wanting the Dead Air Odessa 9. And this is their promo material:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odessa-9-spy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	244906 That is beautiful and I want to be able to do it if I do in fact end up buying this suppressor. Is it possible/practical to get a threaded barrel put on a P7M8? I seem to remember some talk about extending the stock barrel by cutting threads and screwing on an adapter, but that sounds janky to me.
    HK had long barrels at one time. I had one put on my P7. When I received it from them I removed the pin and drifted out the barrel, cut it to the length I wanted, threaded it, and then reinstalled it. I’ve never fired it suppressed, but it works fine functionally.
    That’s been many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Bluntly put, P7 series (unless we are talking K3 in .22LR or .32, 9mmk the can is too big) suck for suppressing. Looks cool as all get out, but loud. LOUD. That pop when the gas system vents is atrocious.

I think that is true generally, but I have both a P7 and a P7M13 with HK factory threaded barrels (still looking for a P7M8) and the Vaime suppressor that was engineered specifically for the P7 series. It is looooooooong. In fact, the P7 + Vaime suppressor is longer than my MK23 + B&T suppressor. But there is a reason for the length. To get the proper level of suppression, they had to have a certain total volumn, and since HK required the suppressor to work with the standard P7 sights, they were limited in how "fat" it could be, so the only way to get the needed space was to make it longer. It looks odd, but it works great. I don't get any gas blowback in the face.

Here's a link to a discussion of the P7 series as a suppressor host. Please note my comment (#21) and the response from G3Kurz (#29)

That said, I don't know how the Dead Air Odessa 9 would work with a P7 series pistol.
    Steve Shannon likes this.
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odessa-9-spy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	244906 That is beautiful and I want to be able to do it if I do in fact end up buying this suppressor. Is it possible/practical to get a threaded barrel put on a P7M8? I seem to remember some talk about extending the stock barrel by cutting threads and screwing on an adapter, but that sounds janky to me.
    And allow me to introduce to you, your wet dream

And....not mine/no affiliation. Always happy to feed the addicted

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/843478743
    Wharf Rat likes this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links