Current Options for a USP 40S&W to 9mm Conversion - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Current Options for a USP 40S&W to 9mm Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it wouldn't be worth it. A 9mm USP is typically going to be worth about $200 more than a .40 from what I've seen. You could way above that tracking down parts.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I have both the USPC in 40 and have an HK USP 357 sig conversion barrel. I think I paid HK $170 ish for the 357 barrel about two plus years ago.

I also picked up the USP 9mm Tactical barrel last year. In a crunch, I would consider it a 9mm barrel I can put in my USP 40. BUT I don't see the point as I LIKE the 40 cal. Always have.

I stock way more 40 than 9... just sayin

I concur, just buy the USP 9 - I have an Expert 9 so I do have 9mm ammo. But not nearly as much 9mm as I have 40. I LIKE the 40. Right now because it's being sold at a discount, mainly because right now there are 20 year old USP 40's that are LEO trade-in's flooding the used market and the prices are way down right now.

The same thing happened when the gun manufacturers starting pushing their 9mm back when the military switched from 45 to 9mm (at the time Beretta won the military contract) and then every other gun manufacturer started pushing the 9mm to LE departments.

It's just cycles of sales and 'popularity' as sold to shooters by gun manufacturers by raising and lower the prices. If 9mm is what you seek, a little patience and constant searching here in the Classifieds and GunBroker should net you a USP 9 with in a month or less.

Good luck
    Last edited by wallew; 11-07-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Here are some of my lunch-time ramblings on the topic;

Don't buy a conversion barrel for an HK.
    That's like buying an M5 and motor-swapping in a 350.

Depending on how cheap it is, you may consider scooping it to keep around... I like to have one chambering at least of common calibers (9, 40, 45)--that's not advice, it's probably a waste of money, but I'm weird.
    As my friend pointed out this morning, at least with shooting sports, you're not spending it on a drug or alcohol addiction.

The USP was designed around the .40S&W, initially, and the pistol/cartridge combo really work well with this one. That's because the Germans correctly engineered the pistol around the 40, instead of taking a 9mm and trying to cut corners. The dual recoil spring, as well as the entire construction of the pistol, really helps to tame 40's fault: the hell-ish snappiness of the high pressure cartridge's recoil. The dual recoil spring, which allows the slide to recoil at two different speeds, dampening as it returns, was designed to meet this challenge. As an HK nerd, the USP 40 represents a milestone for the marque, and a first step in the direction where we currently find them.

Certainly far from being in vogue right now, 40 is a proven round. It's also hard to find a loading in that cartridge that isn't effective for defense in a pinch--unlike 9mm, where the only chance you have to match the output of the larger bores is with $2/ea cartridges fired through a polygonal barrel (that's longer than the one on your carry 'gun). As mentioned above, the abrupt abandonment of critical thinking in favor of populism--driven by equal parts insecurity and cyber bullying--has led 40 caliber pistols and ammo to be stupid cheap, especially places like Gunbroker. I have scooped one P2K that was way too cheap to pass up, and it, too, handles the round very well.

In my "old age" now, I really just like 45 SWCs the most at the range for recoil characteristics.
    I sold a 2011 in 40 that I used in Production, back in the day when people did that. I hammered down a 180gr subsonic load that made Major PF and was a pleasure to shoot--out of that gun. Still a bit snappy in polymer platforms for my tastes.
    As much as I hate to admit it because they keep downgrading their product, those newer Glucks with the dual springs in 40 are a nice package.....
    Last edited by Disregarded9-side; 11-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    wallew likes this.
    Never forget;
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to obedience to God.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side View Post
    That's like buying an M5 and motor-swapping in a 350.

Who doesn't want a reliable M5?

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the pistol is cheap enough then get it.

You can shop gun broker and wait for a 9mm slide and parts kit to pop. I have bought two including a SS one.

Probably my only complaint with the USP is it is not a barrel swap to go from 40 to 9mm. The measurements are tiny, but just enough to not do it.
    PorterM likes this.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6Rstar View Post
    What do you consider a reasonable price?

9mm USPs are a great value on the used market.

40sw USPs (or any other 40) are so cheap its tempting to buy and try to snag the parts low enough to make it rational. Then there is the hoping it will run 100 percent with all ammo, like a factory USP will.

The owner at a supplier we buy from saw me wearing an HK hat and mentioned he cannot seem to sell his USPc 40. I suggested he hang on to it for a decade or two maybe 40 will come back in vogue.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Agree the .40 will be back in LEO's holsters as soon they realized the BG doesn't go down fast enough with the 9mm, most of my guns are in .40 or .45ACP, the few 9mm I own is because its not made in .40 my EDC is an USPc in .40 BTW.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side View Post
    ...The dual recoil spring, as well as the entire construction of the pistol, really helps to tame 40's fault: the hell-ish snappiness of the high pressure cartridge's recoil. The dual recoil spring, which allows the slide to recoil at two different speeds, dampening as it returns, was designed to meet this challenge. As an HK nerd, the USP 40 represents a milestone for the marque, and a first step in the direction where we currently find them.

Certainly far from being in vogue right now, 40 is a proven round. ....As mentioned above, the abrupt abandonment of critical thinking in favor of populism--driven by equal parts insecurity and cyber bullying--has led 40 caliber pistols and ammo to be stupid cheap, especially places like Gunbroker....
    Good points you raised. Although the USP40 was designed from the ground up for the 40S&W, you can really feel the recoil sting of the lighter grain tactical cartridges (155 and 165) and far less so with the heavier grain (180). I think cost and closure in tech/capability gaps between the 9 and 40 is what led the FBI and other LEOs to switch back to the 9. But hey, that means cheaper 40S&W guns and ammo abound, and that's fine by me as I still like shooting the 40!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Eco101 rules... 40 guns and supply will go down, 40 ammo has been going up (within -.02¢/rd if that) vs. 45. Ammo cost dictates gun sales, and 9mm is still going down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links