USPc slide wrecked by shooting 357 Sig?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USPc slide wrecked by shooting 357 Sig?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USPc slide wrecked by shooting 357 Sig?

Neighbor dropped by asking my opinion on his USPc.
    Seems he purchased it (40 S&W) ~ 20 years ago.
    Shot it some then purchased a HK 357 Sig barrel for it.
    Handloads 125 grain with Power Pistol about 1250 fps.
    Nothing like Underwood or similar.
    The slide at the locking point has peened peened back about .015".
    I measured both barrels and they are dimensionally identical as far as I can tell.
    Both exhibit no damage, but only show similar rub marks.
    Hard to image but this shows the damage:
    USPc slide wrecked by shooting 357 Sig?-uspc.jpg
    Only thing I can imagine is that the heat treatment or alloy on 40 slides differs from the 357 ones.
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced this type damage or has any theory as to the cause.
    At minimum looks as if he will be in the market for a replacement slide.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I can't really tell what I'm looking at from the picture, but is it damaged or just worn? It doesn't look that bad to me but it may be the picture.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard to see anything in the picture but I can kind of see what you are talking about. A USP slide isn't generally going to be damaged by shooting .357 sig. You said your friend was shooting reloads so my guess is that the ammo is the culprit. I don't know who loaded said ammo or their experience in reloading so I do not wish to make assumptions but the ammo is the culprit in the vast majority of cases where a pistol is damaged when shooting reloads. You can try contacting HK but as soon as they hear caliber conversion and handload/reload they are more than likely going to tell you to buy a new gun or at least a new slide.

I wouldn't say the slide is wrecked based on that picture alone but I definitely would be cautious about shooting more .357 sig in it until some folks with more experience chime in as I cannot speak to what "normal" wear looks like in an HK .357 sig pistol. (All of my .357 sig pistols are SIGs) Maybe someone else here can compare their USPc .357 to yours.
    Last edited by PorterM; 11-18-2019 at 02:07 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

The slide wouldnt be damaged by 357 sig. As mentioned above, 99% chance its the ammo, especially if your friend is doing the reloading. I've heard of all kinds of crazy stuff with reloads.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would suspect the handloads are the culprit. If it was a lesser gun it probably would have "kaboom'd". What you see are marks from the excessive blast impulse unlocking the breach with more force than it's supposed to.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I agree with the hand loads and/or weak recoil spring. HK slides and barrels are made of very hard steel.
    Bill

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I can’t speak to H&K specifically, but it is always a good idea to swap out the recoil assembly for one for .357 Sig when swapping the barrel.
    PorterM likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCop View Post
    I can’t speak to H&K specifically, but it is always a good idea to swap out the recoil assembly for one for .357 Sig when swapping the barrel.
    Says who? I was told by HK that the RSA is rated to handle the .357sig and 40S&W cartridges.

I use a .357sig conversion barrel on my USP40c. The only hardware I swapped out was the barrel. After 3500+ rounds, everything has been tip-top (used SD, target, and FM reman rounds). My slide interior shows normal wear, but certainly nothing like the OP's pic.

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    Says who? I was told by HK that the RSA is rated to handle the .357sig and 40S&W cartridges.

I use a .357sig conversion barrel on my USP40c. The only hardware I swapped out was the barrel. After 3500+ rounds, everything has been tip-top (used SD, target, and FM reman rounds). My slide interior shows normal wear, but certainly nothing like the OP's pic.
    Hence why I said couldn’t speak to H&K specifically. I know both Sig and Glock say to use the corresponding recoil assembly. I don't know the weights of the H&K assemblies, but I bet one of the forum armorers does.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCop View Post
    Hence why I said couldn’t speak to H&K specifically. I know both Sig and Glock say to use the corresponding recoil assembly. I don't know the weights of the H&K assemblies, but I bet one of the forum armorers does.
    Nothing beats experience. The RSA is fine for both. Years ago, USP40c's and P2000's were being sold with free HK .357sig conversion barrels. That there tells you the gun is good-to-go for both rounds, assuming you don't use unqualified hand loads which the OP did on his.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links