VP9 temperamental with certain ammo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: VP9 temperamental with certain ammo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have run everything from 115gr steel and aluminum case range ammo up to 165gr subsonic reloads. The only issues i have ever run into were when the gun was brand new, first 400 rounds i was running a mixed bag of ammo from le 127gr +P to old 80s surplus. Once the spring was broken in i have yet to have a single issue with any ammo minus the induced malfunctions from ball and dummy drills. Break in a new gun, also bw sure to check function with hollow point ammo, some brands have a larger hollowpoint that i have seen some pistols not like and get stuck in the feed ramp, not the VP9 in my experience, Each gun is different and has its own quirks and tolerances. i personally swith between le 127gr +p and hornady critical duty 135 gr +p for carry purposes. Shoot a box or two of whatever carry ammo you are interested in and go from there.

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My carry vp9sk ammo is 147 grain speer hollow points. But right out of the box, both the sk and my vp9t eat everything even my light 115 grain range loads. I did lock the slide back for the 1st 24 hours on each gun.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

My 5 VP 9s (including my SK) eat whatever I feed them, so 'fake news', they love HSTs, GDs, Ranger SD loads, any of which should serve the purpose well.

If you haven't broken the gun in, maybe that's your issue, or you could be using some reloads or cheap 'crap' steel cased junk.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've never really heard of ammo problems with a VP9. I've never experience any, but like Knight3124, I've only run Federal (American Eagle)124g FMJ and HST through mine. I'm happy with the performance of both and don't plan to use anything different. I stick with what works...always.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight3124 View Post
    I've used 124 grain Federal (FMJ for the range and HST for carry) since day 1 with no issues.
    Mark
    HK VP9SK
    HK VP9
    Taurus Judge
    Charter Arms .38 Off Duty Special
    Beretta Model 1935

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TKJR View Post
    My carry vp9sk ammo is 147 grain speer hollow points. But right out of the box, both the sk and my vp9t eat everything even my light 115 grain range loads. I did lock the slide back for the 1st 24 hours on each gun.
    What’s he purpose of locking the slide for 24 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
    What’s he purpose of locking the slide for 24 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The return spring, when new, can sometimes be a little stiff, especially for light loads. Locking the slide back can help "relax" the spring, making it friendlier to the lower powered ammo. There are much more knowledgeable folks on here than me about this issue that can probably add more detail, but I think that's the main point of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem here. Straight from store to home and shot it. All I could find in my truck was WWB 115 gr fmj, vp9 ate all 100 no issues. Eats everything I have thrown at it, 100% reliable!

Winchester 124 gr NATO should serve you well for a few hundred to loosen it up.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

False. No issues whatsoever.

speed test vidmate
    Last edited by emariokeller; 12-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight3124 View Post
    The return spring, when new, can sometimes be a little stiff, especially for light loads. Locking the slide back can help "relax" the spring, making it friendlier to the lower powered ammo. There are much more knowledgeable folks on here than me about this issue that can probably add more detail, but I think that's the main point of it.
    Well said and to the point. No reason to give a Back to the Future flux capacitor explanation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It. Never. Ends. This horse has been beat to death. Follow the manual.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    WolfieRules likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links