H&K P30 and VP9 in California
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dmcutter

Thread: H&K P30 and VP9 in California

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up H&K P30 and VP9 in California

Quick question. I'll be moving to California soon due to my job. I'm from a free state and was confused about whether it's legal to bring my P30 and VP9 with me to California and keep it there. I've seen a VP9 selling for $1200 there, but supposedly it's off roster. Confused. Can someone from California explain what I can bring into California and why they're selling VP9s for $1200.

Thanks.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Paging @chuckster62

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I used to live in Komifornia and I never did understand the stupid gun laws. And better yet, the laws have gotten worse and more confusing than they used to be. Your best bet by far, is to call a gun shop in the county you are moving to and ask them the process to bring in guns from out of state. Then call another shop just to confirm what the first said (you may get 2 different answers). In southern Cali, Turners Outdoors was always very helpful. Best of luck!!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can still count my hk's with one hand....I just gotta start over once or twice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd find another job.
    TLOU_Joel and WolfieRules like this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn, I really don't want to move to Commiefornia, but the job is making me move. If I don't have to sell all my guns here, I'd like to take them with me. Never thought that I'd be moving from the South to the most liberal state in the USA.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comrade solmelevaane,

You can bring your non-roster VP9 and P30 into California, but can not legally bring the higher capacity magazines into California.

Look here

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

In summary, in sixty days, you must either (1) register the pistols with the CA DOJ, or (2) Sell or transfer the pistols to either a CA FFL or eligible CA individual (private party transfer) through a CA FFL, or (3) transfer the pistols to LEO.

All guns purchased in California, must be on the roster shown below.

You can bring most non-roster guns into California with some exceptions. No assault weapons or magazines larger than ten rounds can legally be brought into California. Many people buy non-roster guns before moving to California.

Look on calguns.net. The BitterOldMan has not posted on calguns since 2013.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, thanks for the great information. I guess I won't sell them down here. I'll take them with me and register them. Appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by BitterOldMan View Post
    Comrade solmelevaane,

You can bring your non-roster VP9 and P30 into California, but can not legally bring the higher capacity magazines into California.

Look here

In summary, in sixty days, you must either (1) register the pistols with the CA DOJ, or (2) Sell or transfer the pistols to either a CA FFL or eligible CA individual (private party transfer) through a CA FFL, or (3) transfer the pistols to LEO.

All guns purchased in California, must be on the roster shown below.

You can bring most non-roster guns into California with some exceptions. No assault weapons or magazines larger than ten rounds can legally be brought into California. Many people buy non-roster guns before moving to California.

Look on calguns.net. The BitterOldMan has not posted on calguns since 2013.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, left out roster link.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

If there are any non-roster guns you may want, buy them before arriving. You can always sell non-roster guns easily on calguns to eligible individuals via private party transaction at a CA FFL.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

It is only $19 to register them once you move here. It is a simple form download you off the net and mail in. Bring them and continue to enjoy them. You might need to get a firearms safety card, it is a 21 question common sense test on gun safety available at any gun store, you can get 6 or 7 wrong and still pass. Isn't that comforting. It is like $20 but lasts for 5-7 years. It is required to purchase any firearm new or used.

See you behind the lines soon.

Here is the Link to the Form

Last edited by chuckster62; 12-12-2019 at 03:08 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

You can bring your “off roster pistols” with you to CA. Just make sure to fill out the voluntary registration of each firearm you bring and pay $19 per firearm to register.

To make the move somewhat painless, I suggest buying whatever you can now and putting some off roster pistols in circulation around CA. Depending on what you bring, you’ll make good money if you don’t like it. Off roster pistols are normally for roster exempt folks like Law enforcement and a few other government agencies, but you can transfer it at any FFL as a private party transfer.

Desert Eagle L6, Stoeger 8045 FT, or a USP45 Tactical in OD GREEN with case are pistols I wish I could have. If you have those and find out you don’t like them, you know who is interested :)

Sponsored Links