Why do i suck at shooting HK pistols? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Why do i suck at shooting HK pistols?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Consider Light LEM.
    Plus Practice, Practice, Practice

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triggerprincess View Post
    My palm is normal sized for a 6' male. large gloves. but I have little kid fingers. I shoot sigs and the makarov great. Good with the FN 5.7. ok with CZ75 and CZ pcr. ok with beretta px4 compact. bad with berretta 92fs. bad with sphinx sdp. bad with HK p30L, UPSc, and p2000.

edit: keep in mind i'm terrible with those HKs even when i only shoot in single action (which is pathetic).
    What is your criteria for good, ok, and terrible? What score? What distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CCT125US likes this.

DKC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I struggled with my P2000. Groups tightened up with practice but not like I had hoped. For some reason I’m just better with both VPs.
    Sometimes pistol shooting is similar to a golf swing, a dozen nuances need to be right, over and over and over.
    Most of my issues were due to inconsistent trigger pull. More specifically anticipating the muzzle flip. There is some good advice above. May I suggest practicing specific actions with one pistol per outing. Dry firing everyday (or even three times/week) ought to help.
    Hope you achieve the accuracy you desire.
    triggerprincess likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I shoot sigs and the makarov great. Good with the FN 5.7. ok with CZ75 and CZ pcr. ok with beretta px4 compact. bad with berretta 92fs. bad with sphinx sdp. bad with HK p30L, UPSc, and p2000.
    In my experience, people who have learned shoot some pistol at a "great" level usually can shoot any pistol at a passable level. While it is beyond obvious that some pistols are easier to shoot well than others, the spread from great to bad is too wide to buy into. In addition, since learning to shoot great usually requires a pretty good insight in what it takes to shoot at that level, those folks generally are capable of self diagnosing their issues. I would start with objective quantification of your skill using your best pistol.
    CCT125US and triggerhammer like this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In my experience, people who have learned shoot some pistol at a "great" level usually can shoot any pistol at a passable level. While it is beyond obvious that some pistols are easier to shoot well than others, the spread from great to bad is too wide to buy into. In addition, since learning to shoot great usually requires a pretty good insight in what it takes to shoot at that level, those folks generally are capable of self diagnosing their issues. I would start with objective quantification of your skill using your best pistol.
    True. But if Beretta and CZ are difficult, you’ve got to wonder. They are two of the most forgiving pistols there are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I had a p30L and i sucked with it. I have a USP compact and a I suck with it. And I just tried my new p2000 and I sucked with it. My last 3 targets i only fired in single action so it was a very easy trigger anyone could shoot... except me. I shot every bullet left. not low, just left...
    Focus on one gun at a time for an extended period (say a month or more). Shoot one and only one HK in that time. Something tells me your mind is getting too overwhelmed and excited with shooting all three of your HKs in one session. If that's what you are doing, cease and desist.

Get real with your shooting mechanics. It's just not there with your HKs from what you explained.

1) For each gun, focus on grip and pressure per the shooting and supporting hand. Make sure that both hands provide a near 360-deg surface contact with the grip. Note the contact points between grip and your shooting hand and supporting hand. In particular, make sure the lower thumb area of your supporting hand presses against the upper portion of the grip. For your shooting hand, feel the pressure of your fingers against the front strap, and the pressure of your lower thumb against the backstrap. Feel the side panels press against both your hands.

Start out with equal grip pressure for both hands, and grip both hands very, very firmly. The idea here is to reduce the sympathetic movement of the fingers in your shooting hand as your trigger finger moves independently, pressing the trigger to break. Here's an exercise. When you drive your car, firmly grip your steering wheel with your hands, leaving your index finger free. Curl your index finger and feel how independently it moves relative to your hand. This feeling can only happen if your other four fingers are firmly gripping the steering wheel. Apply this concept to your HKs.

2) When you press the trigger rearward, make sure the pad of your trigger finger has center contact with the trigger face. Make sure your trigger is stiff and not loose as you press rearward. Trigger press should be slow and steady and not staged. As you press, feel every nuance of the trigger prior to break (grit, hitch, and wall).

3) Focus on the front sight.

When you live-fire at the range, don't worry about where your shots are going at this time. Instead, concentrate on your grip, trigger management, and front sight focus. I suggest you devote a week or two working on one of the three areas above, and build from there. The idea is to mentally and physically get comfortable with your gun, which you clearly lack. You need to build muscle memory. With patience and practice, your groupings will tighten up.

Keep us all posted on your progress!
    robertp and triggerprincess like this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Assuming a pistol fits your hand/fingers reasonably well it maybe a grip issue and maybe also trigger finger placement issue assuming flinching/anticipation has been ruled out. There are some pistols I can seemingly not help but shooting to the left especially if the trigger reach is too short. As an example I tried the new SA Hellcat and I could not get that on/close to target center target even at seven yards while I shoot my P30L, VP9, and HK45 center of target. Personally I find it helps if I put grip pressure front to back with strong hand on pistol grip though trigger finger movement for trigger press must be isolated from the rest of the hand. Try different trigger finger placements on trigger than what you currently have been using from pad near tip to first finger joint. Also dry fire at home on a target (pistol unloaded of course) and use a laser training cartridge for instant visual feedback via a brief red laser dot which also makes dry firing more fun. I also agree with finding a qualified instructor for a one on one session where he or she can observe you and then help correct less that ideal form. I have read many remarks where someone was able to greatly improve there shooting with a single session with a professional instructor. While shooting your pistols at the range that you are disappointed with results for now slow down and be deliberate making each shot count keeping mental notes of any changes in technique.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Sight-Luger...4&sr=8-2-fkmr2 -- 9MM laser training cartridge

This video on grip may be helpful.

A few months ago I was shooting my VP9 at 50 feet and I was shooting to the left as the target shows with the 7 shots to the left. I then knew I was not doing something quite right so I increased strong hand grip pressure on my VP9 and immediately shots started hitting on center of target and all but a few shots continued hitting there. Sometimes it is the simple things that make a difference.

Last edited by grumpy1; 12-14-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

What sight picture are you shooting to and how are you lining it up?

HK sight picture is not a lollipop but sight should be centered on middle of target (half circle above, half circle below your sight plane). I have a slide about it that @Marine0303 gave me.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

As a Former Marine and Current NRA LEO pistol shotgun and patrol carbine I would have to see your shooting to evaluate your shooting everyone can chime in but really we need to see what you are doing wrong get an instructor have him watch you.
    _JD_, FredBart and Vincent04 like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I also shoot those particular H&K pistols poorly. Truthfully, the only ones I shoot well (and I mean very well) are my V1 USP .45 full size, P7, and P9S pistols. It has everything to do with how these guns fit my hand and the way the triggers break. I have owned a handful of P2000 and USPc variants, and the main problem I have with these guns is the skinny circumference towards the top of the grip and resulting short distance to the trigger. My hand and trigger finger feel cramped, and it leads to bad shooting. Same with the P30, which is why I never bought one when the time came. My USP 9mm isn't too bad, but when I shoot my USP .45 and the USP 9mm back to back, it's obvious the .45 is more controllable under recoil and easier for me to get accurate follow-up shots on target. The P7s and P9S pistols are just on another level. No need to even have that discussion. Game over.

Another thing that made a huge difference for me in the polymer guns was finding the right trigger variant. I have tried every LEM variant and could never get my brain to stop pulling shots low and left. Give me a stiff DA revolver pull all day and I'm on target, but that damn LEM was tough. Great concept on paper, but horribly difficult for me to be accurate with. Tried the full match trigger kit as well, but didn't like the light and creepy, vague break. I discovered the best shooting trigger for the USP comes from using ONLY the match hammer, match hammer spring (or even stock V1 spring), and match nickel-plated sear spring. Just leave the trigger and TRS alone as stock V1 parts, and you end up with a perfectly crisp-breaking trigger with just enough over-travel and feel to be extremely accurate and quick with follow-up shots. Go ahead - try it and thank me later!

Practice will only take you so far. For me, finding the right equipment was half the battle as well. Just my 2 cents.
    - CPshooter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links