Why do i suck at shooting HK pistols? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Why do i suck at shooting HK pistols?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Maybe HK just isnt for you yet, took me a long while to appreciate the LEM trigger, or anything hammer fired for that matter. Coarse i got into pistol shooting after i purchased a Glock 23c. Once i became proficient with it I stumbled across a P30 and fell in love. Ive since sold many glocks ive owned and really work to stay proficient with the LEM trigger. I try to fire 1000 rds a week, reload my own to be able to afford that rate, but im still learning, and encourage you to do the same. Plenty of people buy ferraris that cant drive for ****, maybe you need to work your way up to it. Not trying to be derogative, just my .02...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Trigger mechanism, trigger face, grip, grip texture. A lot of factors come into play. As others have said, buy 1,000 rounds and go at it. Come back and report.
    Vincent04 likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Measured several of my HKs. German 15xx serial number avg 10.4 DA, 3.9 SA. First pull isn't that bad, and the SA is sweet. Worst DA is on new (less than 500 rounds) P30LS, but it's a tack driver so far, she'll smooth out.

P30SK v3 for carry.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pistols with their short siight radius magnify grip, trigger and site problems. I agree with the advice to find some professional instruction, if you haven’t had any. The USP’s I’ve shot are capable of 2-3 inch groups at 21’ out of the box. My first USP did have the sight a bit left when new.

In the mean time use dry fire for practice. Your site picture should hold steady at sear release. Site deviations will point to you grip and trigger technique. It’s a trigger press not a squeeze. Do you have a laser sight? Watching the laser point move as you dry fire can give some insight, too. Try firing off a sandbag to see if that changes things for you.

To re-enforce what was said earlier, pick a pistol and stick with it to rule out the differences. Unfortunately you will have to unlearn some bad habits you’ve picked up.

USPfanboy

I know the feeling!

I’m not great with my usp compact. It’s my worst shooting (for me) pistol.

And yet it’s my favorite and my daily carry.

No matter where I move the sights, it shoots about 1-2 inches to the left. (I did get it to consistently hit POA when I moved the rear sight was far right as it could go, but that’s ridiculous.) I’ve moved the rear sight to the right, front to the left, and even reversed it just to see. About the same.

It groups very well. I shoot 5, 7 and sometimes 10 yards. I normally get 2-3 inch groups if I try at 5 and 7 yards. Out at 15-20 yards I can still hit it, but it’s not that great. I focus on more common defensive distances.

It’s 100% me, I’m positive.

I find the HK pistols to just be different than all my others and they take more effort. When I focus on just shooting Hk’s for a while I start to improve with them, but, as most things, it’s a perishable skill for me, where I don’t have that issue with other pistols.

In general i shoot my Usp’s a tad low, but this compact just shoots left. I’d rather have it low than left.

My main problem is I switch guns constantly, sometimes several times a day. Definitely a hindrance in some respects.

More practice for me 🙂
    Last edited by USPfanboy; 02-14-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USPfanboy View Post
    , as most things, it’s a perishable skill for me, where I don’t have that issue with other pistols.

In general i shoot my Usp’s a tad low, but this compact just shoots left. I’d rather have it low than left.

My main problem is I switch guns constantly, sometimes several times a day. Definitely a hindrance in some respects.
    ALL skill is perishable and pistol (even if you're good or not) is arguably that fastest to atrophy of the shooting disciplines.

Given what you describe with the group sizes, sights, POI, it's not a sight/gun problem it's whatever you're doing to the pistol (consciously or subconsciously) between when you elect to fire and the bullet leaves the muzzle. I'm willing to bet good money the USP trigger amplifies your pre-ignition flinch.

Also, why are you switching guns so much? It's a hindrance in a LOT of respects unless you have to due to permissiveness of environments even then one should seriously cut that number down and keep it in the same family.

Just funnin' but this comes to mind:

USPfanboy

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USPfanboy View Post
    , as most things, it’s a perishable skill for me, where I don’t have that issue with other pistols.

ALL skill is perishable and pistol (even if you're good or not) is arguably that fastest to atrophy of the shooting disciplines.

Given what you describe with the group sizes, sights, POI, it's not a sight/gun problem it's whatever you're doing to the pistol (consciously or subconsciously) between when you elect to fire and the bullet leaves the muzzle. I'm willing to bet good money the USP trigger amplifies your pre-ignition flinch.

Also, why are you switching guns so much? It's a hindrance in a LOT of respects unless you have to due to permissiveness of environments even then one should seriously cut that number down and keep it in the same family.

Just funnin' but this comes to mind:

Agreed it’s a hinderance, but, it’s what I do, and what I like to do. I change guns like a woman changes shoes.

I like my pistols, and all my pistols are carry guns, some more frequent than others. I’m proficient with them, but would be more proficient if I stuck with one pistol, but I like attributes of all of them and haven’t found a perfect one.

I prefer full size guns most of the time and compacts when I have to conceal it better.

It tends to go something like: off to work: USP compact, off work? Usp full size or beretta 92, time for bed? Beretta 92 or usp full size with respective lights. Feeling nostalgic? Carry the ww2 1911. Feel like carrying with a light? Which light? Well this light fits better on this gun, this holster works better for this situation, and this one just looks better.

Overthink it much?

Yes.

But I enjoy it 100%.

Lately I’ve been going several weeks actually without changing guns. It’s been shocking. Very strange feeling!

I’m starting to finally narrow down my carry guns to just a few pistols! LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had the same issue at first, couldn't hit with the HK guns. My groups were solid and tight, but the shots were not on target. Then I realized my sight picture was off because I was used to holding sights at 6, then tried bisecting the target, when they should be directly behind the dot on the front sight. Like others have said, there are many factors. It could be sight alignment, it could be that you are used to lighter triggers, different ergonomics that effect your trigger manipulation. Dry fire practice and actual range time will remedy them as you go on. I've found that my handgun accuracy improved the most once I've established a solid grip (wrists locked forward, as high as I can get on the frame) and decent trigger control (and reducing anticipation, i'm still guilty of that when I am firing long cadences). Best of luck OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weird question (and I saw only a handful of replies about it) - has the OP ever drifted the rear sight? Or replace with adjustable sights?

Just asking because a couple of my H&Ks (and several other brands) are/were a little off at 25 yds. Nothing really new here... It happens. Just curious if that was looked at.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynamejeffk View Post
    I had the same issue at first, couldn't hit with the HK guns. My groups were solid and tight, but the shots were not on target. Then I realized my sight picture was off because I was used to holding sights at 6, then tried bisecting the target, when they should be directly behind the dot on the front sight. Like others have said, there are many factors. It could be sight alignment, it could be that you are used to lighter triggers, different ergonomics that effect your trigger manipulation. Dry fire practice and actual range time will remedy them as you go on. I've found that my handgun accuracy improved the most once I've established a solid grip (wrists locked forward, as high as I can get on the frame) and decent trigger control (and reducing anticipation, i'm still guilty of that when I am firing long cadences). Best of luck OP.
    This is probably the biggest problem I have noticed with HK pistols (granted my experience with them is pretty brief at this point. It was the biggest issue I had with all of my guns, shooting consistently way low, completely missing the steel plates I was shooting and hitting the bar, until I figured out that the sights effectively are set up differently than just about every other handgun I own. Target goes behind front site, not above. With that fixed, the plates started falling with no issue.

Maybe problem is the wrong word. It's just a different design and something to get used to.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links