USP rail adapters question

Thread: USP rail adapters question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP rail adapters question

How many of you have had issues with lights coming loose? Specifically referring to the gg&g rail. I've had my TLR-1 basically hanging off after a range session and it drives me nuts (to be fair, I was using my support hand thumb to actuate the light while firing a couple rds. Still wish it would have kept in place). I used a tiny bit of blue loctite on the screw but I can gently press down on the bezzle of the light and it bows down.

Anyone do anything special that I'm not aware of to keep your lights more secured when using these adapters on the USP? I'm not %100 confident in the light staying put under hard use, but I shoot it so well, I keep it as a nightstand gun anyway.
    Last edited by jordan90; 12-14-2019 at 07:54 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

i've had a couple of the ggg adapters (compact, fullsize) and have never had the rail piece droop even with the tlr1-hl -- check if your screws or mounts are worn or cross-threaded, and shoot ggg an email, they're responsive to questions and probably will replace a faulty part. if they won't replace it, i think i've got an older-style adapter sitting in my parts bin, cover the cost of shipping and i'll send it your way, send me a pm

i have had the rails jump out of place, but that was on my 10mm conversion and i think the combination of the recoil and weight of the tlr was too much. ggg replaced the adapter at no cost to me, and i switched to a smaller light and it hasn't happened again.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are we talking about the original GG&G HK USP adapter which only worked with the Streamlights, or the newer GG&G adapter which was redesigned with a true MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail system to work with all lights, including the Surefire X300 Ultra?

For the current GG&G HK USP adapter with the true MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail system, and using a Surefire X300A Ultra, I have thus far had no issues in a USP40 and USP45, and will comment further that the lockup with the Surefire X300A Ultra on the GG&G MIL-STD-1913 is dramatically tighter than the discontinued Surefire MR-09 HK USP mount. I did have the screws on the GG&G mount coated in Robar NP3 Plus chrome, and the mounting brackets coated in Robar Matte Black Roguard, but these enhancements were mostly cosmetic. In retrospect, I do not know if they perhaps impart any additional degree of adhesion in terms of changing the dimensional tolerances of the mount. Getting the screws of the GG&G mount plated in some form of hard chrome may be a good idea if you are really serious, because Surefire nickel-plated the screws on the MR-09 HK USP mount, and I'm inclined to believe there was a material reason behind this aside from just the looks.

And even with the Surefire MR-09 on a H&K USP40 full size, using Winchester .40 S&W 165-grain Full Metal Jacket, I still had to re-tighten the screws every 1,000 rounds or so. Nothing ever came flying off at the range or noticeably drooping, but the screws did need to be re-tightened just slightly.

The H&K USP with a grip retexturing (to remove the horrendous cheese-grater checkering on the front and back panels) and a Surefire X300A Ultra using either a GG&G MIL-STD-1913 rail adapter or a Surefire MR-09 rail adapter, remains the single best handgun I have ever used in my (as of this writing) 29-year shooting career. I do not ever take the Surefire lights off, nor do I intend to until the batteries fail, and have never had a catastrophic failure at the range with either rail system.

I did flirt briefly with the Surefire X300B Ultra with the mounting screw, but feel the lockup of the X300A Ultra on the HK USP is dramatically tighter, and this gives me great piece of mind. In fact, the lockup is so tight I have to disassemble the GG&G mount in order to remove the Surefire X300A Ultra from the GG&G mount. I actually consider this to be an advantage rather than an inconvenience, because it signals a greater degree of potential durability. Furthermore, because the HK USP has dramatically better accuracy and dramatically less recoil with the Surefire X300A Ultra lights installed, I never remove the lights.
    Last edited by Lossiter; 12-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lossiter View Post
    Are we talking about the original GG&G HK USP adapter which only worked with the Streamlights, or the newer GG&G adapter which was redesigned with a true MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail system to work with all lights, including the Surefire X300 Ultra?

For the current GG&G HK USP adapter with the true MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail system, and using a Surefire X300A Ultra, I have thus far had no issues in a USP40 and USP45, and will comment further that the lockup with the Surefire X300A Ultra on the GG&G MIL-STD-1913 is dramatically tighter than the discontinued Surefire MR-09 HK USP mount. I did have the screws on the GG&G mount coated in Robar NP3 Plus chrome, and the mounting brackets coated in Robar Matte Black Roguard, but these enhancements were mostly cosmetic. In retrospect, I do not know if they perhaps impart any additional degree of adhesion in terms of changing the dimensional tolerances of the mount. Getting the screws of the GG&G mount plated in some form of hard chrome may be a good idea if you are really serious, because Surefire nickel-plated the screws on the MR-09 HK USP mount, and I'm inclined to believe there was a material reason behind this aside from just the looks.

And even with the Surefire MR-09 on a H&K USP40 full size, using Winchester .40 S&W 165-grain Full Metal Jacket, I still had to re-tighten the screws every 1,000 rounds or so. Nothing ever came flying off at the range or noticeably drooping, but the screws did need to be re-tightened just slightly.

The H&K USP with a grip retexturing (to remove the horrendous cheese-grater checkering on the front and back panels) and a Surefire X300A Ultra using either a GG&G MIL-STD-1913 rail adapter or a Surefire MR-09 rail adapter, remains the single best handgun I have ever used in my (as of this writing) 29-year shooting career. I do not ever take the Surefire lights off, nor do I intend to until the batteries fail, and have never had a catastrophic failure at the range with either rail system.

I did flirt briefly with the Surefire X300B Ultra with the mounting screw, but feel the lockup of the X300A Ultra on the HK USP is dramatically tighter, and this gives me great piece of mind. In fact, the lockup is so tight I have to disassemble the GG&G mount in order to remove the Surefire X300A Ultra from the GG&G mount. I actually consider this to be an advantage rather than an inconvenience, because it signals a greater degree of potential durability. Furthermore, because the HK USP has dramatically better accuracy and dramatically less recoil with the Surefire X300A Ultra lights installed, I never remove the lights.
    Mine is the newer 1913 style. I do like the idea of having the screws coated but unsure where to look for that service. I practice drawing from a custom gunfighters inc owb holster quite a bit and the holster fitment may need loosened just a tad as I feel like the light is dragging during the draw and leading to it wiggling a little loose. Does anyone have a picture they could share of their x300/Tlr-1 on their gg&g mount? Seems like no matter how well I mount it, there's always a go between the dust cover and the mount.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jordan90 View Post
    Mine is the newer 1913 style. I do like the idea of having the screws coated but unsure where to look for that service.
    Check out Wright Armory for NP3 Plus chrome: https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/ I doubt they would charge a lot of money to do this.

Sponsored Links