HKPRO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MARK 23 still worth the cost?

23K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  straightgrain 
#1 ·
I've always been a fan of weapons use by SOCOM but have debated whether it's worth spending the money for a MARK 23? Does SOCOM still use them?

Thank you

#2 ·
I don’t believe they have used them in some time—-I’m not sure how much they were used in the real-world back in the day. I don’t really spending money to collect “what socom uses” myself.

Honestly, they are almost a useless pistol in my eyes.

They are big, heavy, not concealable, not a good competition gun, and not really that shootable compared to other guns on the market today.

Unless you get hard for a range toy, it’s a hard pass. Better ways to spend the money exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
They prefer the USP 45 Tactical , the SOCOM community prefers more practical service sized pistols for actual use

I wouldnt bother with the MK23 unless your a collector and have to have it, I heard the new ones dont even have a chrome lined bore or Marine anti corrosives finish like the US Gov models, just the standard Hostile Environment finish used on USP's

#5 ·
Mine is my favorite pistol. I have the KAC can to go with it, an iconic firearm that is still my favorite suppressed handgun to shoot. Supremely accurate, easy shooting, and very quiet with no blowback in my face. Sure it's big but who cares unless you plan on lugging it across the Hindu Kush..

SOCOM never used them much, it's a gun designed by a committee to do extraordinary things. It does all of them, but is too large and heavy for most of those guys to hike around with. Not sure if they are even in the armories anymore, but the MK24 CAP basically superseded it and is a smaller package. I just sold my MK24, never liked it. But I'll never sell my "Mark 23."

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, currently I have the Hk45C and that's been able to scratch my SOCOM itch. Since, the SP5 was the financial curve ball, I didn't expect, I need to cool my spending.

#8 ·
If you want an accurate 45 at a reasonable cost then a USP Expert or USP Elite are plentiful now. Both could be had around $1000 versus the $1800 for a MK23.

There are a lot of MK23 fans here and I am sure some will chime in.

Just a suggestion for you to consider.

#9 ·
I have a Mk23. Gave the purchase a lot of thought. Looked at many guns. Found that by the time I bought any other acceptable-to-me pistol platform and then modified it to be what I was after, it would cost within a couple hundred bucks of what a 23 costs but would still be less of what I wanted it to be.
So, I bought the 23 and then accessorized it to suit.
I could sell it today for what I paid, or more, because it's not now a Frankenpistol, it never was one, and no buyer has to worry about me having fouled it up with modifications poorly done. It's factory stock and trustworthy.

#12 ·
I've always been a fan of weapons use by SOCOM but have debated whether it's worth spending the money for a MARK 23? Does SOCOM still use them?
I think it is. It's not very practical, but an icon worth having. It's a great range gun or for outdoor target practice and plinking. It's superb as a suppressor host. Some shooters even use the 23 for hunting with the Super-45 round.

I believe SOCOM no longer uses them due to it's large size, but it's still an inventory item (very, very low numbers) in the Navy and Army.

#20 ·
I remember seeing these photos (or ones very similar) years ago! Thanks for posting them again. I love the wooden fence in the background.

The MK23 is my favorite pistol. The photo of a Navy Seal coming out of the water in his wet suit with a MK23 was what got me interested in sport shooting.

At one point I had 3 MARK 23s, all used. I paid between $800 and $1800 for each of them, including $1500 for one that came with 5 magazines and a B&T suppressor (I bought it to get the suppressor and extra magazines). I later sold the pistol with two magazines for $1200. But then, the market is a little different here in Europe. But there is no need to buy a MARK 23 new. I would encourage you to look for an older one with the maritime finish, preferably with a KG date code.

Reactions: azimuth
#15 ·
Counterpoint, I spent years debating on one. After years pursuing my dream job I decided to say **** it and get one, after I got the offer. It’s hands down my favorite pistol! My wife and I camp a lot and it comes on every trip with us because I know it’ll work no matter what. It’s a brilliant shooter and even better suppressed. It’s not a small pistol but it’s always demonized by many who’ve never seen one as being “crew served”. At the end of the day it’ll hold its value if you decide to sell it. I say buy with confidence.

#16 ·
Worth it is a very subjective question when talking about firearms. When talking about Hk anything then almost all traditional metrics of value are unusable. Is a P7 worth it? HK21 bipod? USP match? MP5 briefcase? It would seem the answer is yes.

I dont own one. There are several USPs on my collector list with a higher priority but if one popped up alot cheaper than usual I would buy it. I personally think they are awesome. Awesome to hold, awesome to shoot, awesome suppressed, awesome to look at. From a collector standpoint I think down the road one couldn't go wrong.

Think of a Swiss P210. On paper it's a big heavy single action 9mm pistol with crappy capacity. If you dont want one then it's stupid waste of money, and you could buy 3 whatevers and a whatever. If I got a nice one for under $2500 id be thrilled.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I own one as well. I enjoy shooting it, and it’s a fantastic pistol to handle. I relegate it more now to introducing new shooters to a 45, and it definitely helps as a piece of historical conversation. I bought mine solely for the Navy connection, as I have a lot of relatives who served (none of them in SOCOM). My dad was extremely pleased when we reconnected after years of being estranged and it helped us both iron out the ruts in our relationship.

That being said, a USP is absolutely more practical if you just want a reliable shooter. If you want the SOCOM connection, then yeah HK45C or even a USP 45 Compact will fulfill that requirement. The mark 23 does all of that if you just wanted one gun to represent the genesis of the USP line along with the historical context of OHWS.

If you want to chase hot 45 super, 450Smc, or 460 Rowland, then the MK23 SHOULD be your choice.

#19 ·
I love all things HK I am a big fan of the MK 23 but HK has buy now paid for all tooling and molds they could drop the price by 400-500$ the pistol is not a $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 gun most are not getting a suppressor with the gun not saying you are not either but yes they could come off the price as well with the USP legacy line they COULD drop it by $150.00 - $200.00 per gun but they wont sorry if I may piss someone off this is my belief on the prices .

#22 ·
Its completely worth it to me. I have two of them, ones in the case just for collecting and the other is has taken over a my primary fighting pistol. At first youll be surprised how big they are but once you compare it to other 45’s from hk its not that crazy. Plus shooting it is a breeze and once you start shooting it on and off with a suppressor, its dynamics feel different where youll get back on target alot quicker then before. Ive had multiple hk pistols that ive tried to make my primary do all and it always came back to the Mark 23.

Attachments

#23 ·
I don't know how to ask someone else if anything is worth something. For some, 2k isn't much to spend, for others, its everything. People are paying near 4k for the new SP5 so the world is a little crazy to begin with. I know people who have spent way more than I would ever pay on a classic car, and even guys who have paid north of 40k for a frickin pickup truck but won't ever carry anything in the bed.

And no I don't believe SOCOM uses them.

However, I wanted one, I searched for a few months and found one under 2k. I got the KAC suppressor. I shoot the devil out of it. I won't ever carry it concealed, but nor would I carry a 1911, a PPK, or a bunch of other guns I have either.

#32 ·
OK, I'll take the bait. I bought my first Mark 23 around 2001 (AB date code), because the cool factor is undeniable, and everyone knows that having the same equipment as SEAL Team Six and CAG makes you just as good as they are. Aside from intermittent fondling it stayed in the case for the longest time, with the addition of other "orphan" Mark 23s over time. I finally found one on GB (BG date code) for an obscenely low price and started to shoot it.

The Mark 23 is one of the easiest pistols to shoot well. Its size belies its weight; soft recoiling; comfortable to shoot (I have medium to large hands); good sights; decent trigger, and is very accurate. If the shot goes wild it's me, not the gun.

I can't speak for others but if you get one be prepared to buy more. KG, KH date codes, "Mark" vs "MARK" rollmarks, SOCOM slides and barrels, CCF "wood case" Mark 23s, Mid East aluminum cases - the collecting world will suck your wallet dry.

#34 · (Edited)
Pretty much what I’ve read as well. I can’t blame them, you’re not giving up much accuracy wise with a .45c,(or ct) 10rnd mags are available and, overall it’s a much smaller package. One thing everyone forgets, the mission drives the gear train..The primary weapon for these guys is going to be a SBR, the pistol being a secondary, and with all the other gear they’ll likely be carrying, size does matter here, at shorter ranges, (25yds or less) the .45c will work just as well as the MK23, so, there’s no real reason to carry something bigger, heavier, and doesn’t hold any more ammo.. This is why(from what I’ve read, someone correct me if I’m wrong)most of the MK 23’s the military bought, are in storage..Another one of those ideas that looked great on paper...

#37 ·
I love when people say the Mk23 wasn't used, or isn't being used. As if those people are read in on covert operations and have a worthwhile opinion. The Mk23 was made for scenarios that the general public will never hear about. There was a requirement for it, otherwise it would never have been made. We do not know the goings on of singleton operations, yet they exist. We will never know about the spooks running around Pakistan in the middle of the night putting surveillance devices in Terrorist safe houses etc.. We have never heard of anyone being assassinated with a B&T Welrod, yet, someone had the requirement, these things aren't designed and created on a whim.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Brugger-Thomet-VP9-Suppressed-9mm-Welrod-Pistol-p/bt-410000.htm

#39 ·
The only reason not to own one if you're on a dedicated HK forum is financial stress. Let's just call it what it is. I don't know anyone who is a serious HK collector that doesn't have one. Hell, the longer you collect the worse it gets. I had to hunt a taupe one down for no other reason than than the fact that there are only 500 of them and I wanted one. Not because they do anything that the black ones won't. It's cool, I wanted it, I can afford it. Those are the three key principles in firearm collecting, LoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.