P30L slide release length with safety question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: P30L slide release length with safety question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default P30L slide release length with safety question

So I have a love hate relationship with the p30. I have fired several over the years and two things have kept me from buying. Every one I have shot auto forwarded when inserting a mag with a minimal amount of force and secondly my high thumbs forward grip hits the slide release and keeps the slide from locking back when empty. If it wasn’t for those issues I would probably own 3 or 4 by now.

My view on auto forwarding is evolving and I don’t view it as quite the death knell to a pistol I use to. So I’ve been rethinking the p30, specifically the long slide and possibly the sk. My question is if I get one with a safety does that shorten the length of the slide release and help me keep my thumb out of the way like it would a 1911? The shops by me don’t have any models with a safety for me to handle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daleadstosa View Post
    So I have a love hate relationship with the p30. I have fired several over the years and two things have kept me from buying. Every one I have shot auto forwarded when inserting a mag with a minimal amount of force and secondly my high thumbs forward grip hits the slide release and keeps the slide from locking back when empty. If it wasn’t for those issues I would probably own 3 or 4 by now.

My view on auto forwarding is evolving and I don’t view it as quite the death knell to a pistol I use to. So I’ve been rethinking the p30, specifically the long slide and possibly the sk. My question is if I get one with a safety does that shorten the length of the slide release and help me keep my thumb out of the way like it would a 1911? The shops by me don’t have any models with a safety for me to handle.
    If my thumb was activating the slide lock/release, I would correct my grip. I’m on the fence myself with the auto-forwarding

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)

If you do not like the "auto-forwarding" feature, don't slam the mag home. Just lightly insert it and you'll be good to go

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All of mine require a decent amount of force to do that. Sometimes I do appreciate the feature. If its doing it with a light insertion maybe there is something wrong. If you purchase the SK the slide release will be the same (short) safety or no safety.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I’d say my slide auto forwards 90% of the time but I train to hit the slide release anyway so it absolutely never bothers me.

What about that feature is undesirable though? Seems like it would be a benefit not a problem. Genuinely curious.
    Vincent04 and Constantine like this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Other brands of pistols will do this as well. Like mentioned above don't slam the mag in the frame hard, if that is what you are doing.
    HK - No Compromise

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

What is the down side to a pistol auto forwarding? Most of my guns will do it. I don't see any reason not to like it?
    WolfieRules likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I think it is a little hard on the frame or whatever else stops the mag from being over inserted. I try to avoid it, but I was shooting other brands other than just HK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Maybe a p30L and sk with a short or slim slide release is in my immediate future.

As for my grip, I’ve tried to alter it slightly whenever I use a gun that has a large poorly ( for me anyways) placed slide release but shot timers and targets don’t lie and I just simply shoot better with it then any other way, so I would rather buy guns that work with it then the other way around. I use the over hand rack methods for reloads anyways so large or extended slide releases do nothing for me.

As for auto forwarding, some p30 models I’ve shot have done it even with a fairly easy insertion, others required a little effort. I’ve seen some pistols
    (Not p30 s )that would do it but not always pick up a round depending when the slide forward. I’ve also seen guns that do it sometimes jam if it was only a partial full mag that was inserted, again these were no p30s. I use to think of it as a malfunction but if It chambered a round reliably every time and ran reliably I could get use to that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I dont think it is supposed to slam forward. People seem to think it is a feature but I think it is an end user error.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links