Jacketed ammo in HK
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 6Rstar

Thread: Jacketed ammo in HK

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Jacketed ammo in HK

do you have to use jacketed ammo in HK's like in glocks. also are they picky about what you run through them?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperhunter View Post
    do you have to use jacketed ammo in HK's like in glocks. also are they picky about what you run through them?
    H&K uses polygonal rifling, cast bullets aren’t recommended.

If you are looking for a less expensive alternative for hand loads, I’ve shot boxcar loads of Berry plated bullets through mine.

I load to approximately 950-1050 FPS as plated bullets are recommended to be loaded to magnum speeds.

If I need or want more velocity I go to my 357, 41 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

As far as the picky part, no. High quality recommended but the newest manual I have (VP9) state use properly loaded, that meets CIP or SAAMI spec and no +P+. Though not specifically stated, I'm sure they are not thinking that many people would be using unjacketed rounds. You will have a rough time with the polygonal bore and lead fouling as stated by @41magnut . I guess you could buy a aftermarket barrel if you were dead set on it.

None of my HKs have a problem with any brand or grain in my experience.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I’ve shot 1000’s of cast bullets through my HK’s with zero problems...I’ve been loading for over 30years, the key to using cast lead bullets is to use one made from a hard alloy , and not to try to drive the bullet at FMJ velocities. Do that, and you won’t have any problems. That said, I switched to plated bullets a few years back, simply because the bullets themselves are alot less messy to handle, and, if you shop around you can buy them for pretty close to what cast lead is going for..I buy my bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, and can get their 124gr FMJ’s (not plated, but fmj) $82/1000 delivered to your door.. But to dispel the old wives tale about cast lead and HK’s, yes you can run them, and if you’re careful,you shouldn’t have any problems.
    Last edited by ralphhh; 01-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6Rstar View Post
    As far as the picky part, no. High quality recommended but the newest manual I have (VP9) state use properly loaded, that meets CIP or SAAMI spec and no +P+. Though not specifically stated, I'm sure they are not thinking that many people would be using unjacketed rounds. You will have a rough time with the polygonal bore and lead fouling as stated by @41magnut . I guess you could buy a aftermarket barrel if you were dead set on it.

None of my HKs have a problem with any brand or grain in my experience.

You brought up an interesting item.

Are there any after market barrels available for a H&K, land & groove or otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Jarvis sells about anything you could want. I don't own any. Friends have had good luck. Traditional rifling.

Sniperhunter likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've used both plated and coated---in addition to FMJs----without any problems.
    I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Sponsored Links