HKPRO Forums banner

HK 17 Round Magazines

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  mrhk 
#1 · (Edited)
What is different between this and the previous 15 round mags?

Spring design? Follower design? Baseplate design? 9mm specific body?

Can the changes be applied to the 13 and 10 round mags as well?

#2 ·
Follower and base plate is my best guess. Looking at the ETS pro clear mags you can see where they get the two extra rounds. I modified one my spare p30sk 10rd mags to easily accept 11rds. "Easily", because it's very close to a 12th rd. I can see where to get more room, but it's more modification in harder to reach places.

The real question is: Will HK make the followers and base plates available to us?

#5 · (Edited)
The real question is: Will HK make the followers and base plates available to us?
They make them available for the 15 rounders, so I would be very surprised if they didn't make them available for the 17s. I would also guess that there will be new springs available, otherwise the 15 round springs may be compressed beyond their design limits, and thus wear out faster.

Should the retrofit prove possible, I'm gonna be needing quite a few followers.

#7 ·
[Standard Magazine Alteration Disclaimer Follows] HK followers have a very long anti-tilt tab on the back. I dremel'd that tab up to the point where the scalloping starts with a cut off wheel. Used a drum sander and extended the scallop so the spring rides up smoothly. On the base plate, I cut down the volcano and left enough for the spring to snap on. I've loaded/unloaded a dozen times and have never felt any binding. I also haven't shot it yet or modified any of my other magazines. I'll wait a bit and see if HK releases the new internals as parts.

Disclaimer: No turtles were hurt during the posting of this answer and know your state laws.

#9 ·
The magazine body is identical (save for the extra holes). The spring, follower and locking plate have been modified (the base plate too, but juuuust barely). An old spring will not fit on a new follower, but I suspect it would fit with some dremel work. The follower ant-tilt tab at the back is shorter, as is the overall follower. The very top of the spring is also narrower where it seats into the follower.

I don't see why they wouldn't do this with the entire line of magazines, which means it is likely that we will have factory 22 round magazines sometime soon!

#17 ·
For those wondering, we shot thousands of rounds through a few 2020 VP9s between two media/range days, with no malfunctions of any kind--not like we were expecting any. HK has done way more testing than that prior to releasing the mags.

Robin Taylor stopped by the booth, but didn't have one his HK spring kits with him to see if they would fit, but I'll go ahead and get a kit, and see if they will work.

#21 ·
I would try the conversions, I have enough 15 rounders to hold me over. Assuming it is about $40 a mag, not worth only getting 2 rounds extra at this time. If the 15 rounders ever fail I would look at the 17 rounders to replace. OR a really good deal, I could be converted to go 17 rounders. I also JUST got an ETS 17 round magazine that I need to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.