Ammo Weight Question (VP9/VP9SK) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ammo Weight Question (VP9/VP9SK)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ar2088 View Post
    ...My advice is not to think lower mass would give you less penetration. Just use reputable defense ammo such as HST, Gold Dot, Critical Duty and find the proper weight you can shoot accurately to your liking.
    Absolutely!

Cartridge size, grains, velocities, impact, penetration...blah, blah, blah. No matter the tech speak, accuracy trumps everything. Because if you can't hit your target where it matters most and when it matters most, nothing else will really matter after that.

To the OP: If those lower grain cartridges are not SAAMI spec'd and not brass, be advised not to use them. Stick to industry-standard SD 9mm cartridges, and you'll be fine. And above all, practice, practice, practice
    Last edited by Vincent04; 01-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    roadking2007 likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roadking2007 View Post
    That’s true. When I said “everything else being equal” I knew I was sort of taking some liberties there.

And you’re getting to a key point. The FBI spec for penetration. As i understand it, that’s 12-18” of penetration. However, 18” would easily penetrate a human target. Yep, I know, that’s why there’s a spread. But from tests I’ve seen, 15-18” penetration also goes through numerous layers of drywall. So back to my concern about penetration and a lighter mass. I guess I should say that I’m questioning whether the FBI specs are really suitable for personal defense in an urban environment. Meaning, shared walls of residences, lots of public walking areas, etc. The FBI spec may be too powerful for my needs. I don’t need to shoot through car doors and the like. This is why I’m considering these personal defense rounds. They all seem to have a slightly lesser penetration and, either as a result or because of this, they have lighter mass.

I realize I may be searching for a unicorn: Ammo that will only stop the threat, without collateral damage. The only real solution for that is making sure my shots are on target (so I am continuing to practice). But I want to make sure that whatever ammo I get flows thru the firearm smoothly. Every time. Perhaps the original suggestion is the right one: try several types and see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12"-18" of gel penetration doesn't automatically equate to 12"-18" of body penetration. Check out this article below. It's a good read. The author also has a YouTube channel (ShootingtheBull410) that does ballistics gel testing on almost every JHP out there. He's a great source of information. TNOutdoors9 is another great YouTube channel that does ballistics gel testing. EDIT: Added second article on bullet overpenetration.

More on Bullet Penetration ? and Why We Don?t Use Bones When Testing Ammo in Gel | Shooting The Bull

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/what...erpenetration/
    Last edited by Knight3124; 01-22-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    roadking2007 likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I use 124+P or 147 HST with Gold Dots a close second in all my 9mm firearms. I'd use whichever I have handy, but most of my practice ammo is 124gr, so I'll likely standardize on that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight3124 View Post
    12"-18" of gel penetration doesn't automatically equate to 12"-18" of body penetration.
    +1.
    12-18” is the standard deviation extracted from the FBI test. It’s Ballistics for Dummies in a 3 min YouTube vid. In the OP a variable is introduced where none existed with HST/Gold-Dot performance, 50-100rds is all you need after break-in.
    And stay within the medium, they build 9mm SD handguns in 1:9 Twist optimized for 115/124/147 weights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While you are searching on Youtube, check out Paul Harrell.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Q...Zy9uQ/featured

He has covered the differences in 9 mm ammo offerings.

This video is about Liberty Civil Defense 9mm Ammo.

Spoiler Alert, he is not a fan of "Hyper" ammunition and covers why he has that opinion.
    roadking2007 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have put over 1500 rounds through my VP9 115 grain no problems at all.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor11 View Post
    I have put over 1500 rounds through my VP9 115 grain no problems at all.
    I probably put 10x that through VP9s and P30s without issue, but now I only shoot 124 and occasionally 147 grain....IF I were to carry 115, it'd be 115 +P+ Gold Dots, which I've shot a few 100 rounds of without issue....it's fun, stupid fast bullet and TNOutdoors9 did a ballistics test a while back, pretty effective round based on that.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just bought a VP9sk, and I broke it in with 50 rounds of 147 grain American Eagle, then 50 rounds of 124 grain Federal HST, then another 50 of the 147g AE, then 50 rounds of 115g Blazer Brass, then a final 50 of the 147g AE.

Zero malfunctions of any kind. I'll shoot more 115g next time to see if there are any issues with it, but the first 50 shot just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have both the VP9 and the VP9SK. I have shot around 4,000 rounds through them without a hiccup. I have shot the Liberty 50 grain +P and did not like them. Thats just my opinion. Additionally I shoot the 115, 124, 147 and 150 grain bullets with zero problems. My preference are the 147's since I shoot them in competition. Since the VP9SK has a shorter barrel length I use HST Micro 150's for carry since they were designed for shorter barrels. In the end, for personal defense, I always buy several boxes of varying manufacturers to see which shoots best in my particular pistol. As an aside, I have never noticed much if any differences between "brand" name manufacturer's PD ammunition in any pistol I own.
    roadking2007 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links