New Vp9 2020 vs standard vp9 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New Vp9 2020 vs standard vp9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei45 View Post
    Can I assume they come with the Trijicon RMR adapter plate?
    No, they come with zero plate, just the slide cover. All plates are extra, and purchased separately. Which is just nuts. Glock, FN, and I’m sure many others all come with like 4 or 5 adapter plates. Don’t really get what HK is doing here, but not a good plan

The Glock 45 comes with like 4 plates, and is $50 less wholesale and $50 less MSRP than the VP9 2020.
    Last edited by d3msd8le; 02-02-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Had the new VP9 2020 at the range today, and went very badly. With the Trijicon SRO (shown in the pic) and my usual range bulk ammo of the Remington UMC 115 gr, I got multiple failures to fully cycle. A few stove pipes, and a few failure to pick up next round but did successfully eject. Looks like a new spring / weak ammo bad combo. Forgot to bring my +P ammo, so didn’t get to try that. Hoping it’s just a new spring issue. Same ammo in my well used VP9T, with the same optic (but mounted on the trijicon rear sight adapter) worked perfectly last week. So I don’t think it’s the weight of the optic + the weak 115 Remington UMC. Next time, will also bring the VP9T (so I can grab the spring from that to test) and also +P. But today, I couldn’t get through an entire mag w/o some failure.

EDIT: went back out to range, this time with Federal 115gr ammo, and got through two boxes without any failures or problems of any kind. Ran the 17 round mags, filled to 17. VP9 2020 real nice gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Vp9 2020 vs standard vp9-e146f06f-b4d4-4fbe-940e-351ea5602060.jpeg   New Vp9 2020 vs standard vp9-ba826e1c-d2ab-45bf-8061-65281d7806d2.jpeg  
    Last edited by d3msd8le; 02-04-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    Malpaso likes this.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GraveDigger78 View Post
    What good are suppressor height sights anyways?

On a side note, I went to my gun store to see if they where getting any 2020 VP9 because I was considering buying one. The guy said to me "you jumping on the bandwagon too?" and I was like what do you mean? He says "the pistol optic fad". I was like whaaaaat. You think red dots on pistols is a fad?
    The first question is easily answered the first time your dot dies. Especially on a carry pistol. There is no optic out there that I would trust to go on a duty/carry gun without backup sights.

The second question is not worth your time at all. You can ask the dude why the U.S. special forces units have been hiring USPSA shooters for optic pistol training for some time, or why so many recent retirees from those units have dots on their personal pistols, or why LE departments started to adopt them, or why new Army and USBP pistols are specified with optic cuts, but those would be rhetorical questions. The dude doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    I don't think they are a fad, but I'm not super hot on using them, either. For competition guys, I get it -- rock those things all day long. Same for just sweet range pieces that are fun to plink with.

I practice regularly, but always in a CCW context. My main problem with red dots is just this -- and maybe I'm being needlessly picky -- but how the hell do I properly train for them to fail? The best way I can come up with is to have someone stand with me, and randomly turn it on or off so that I don't know what is coming out of the draw, for each and every draw. OK, better than nothing -- but that is a huge time-sink for my buddy who needs his shooting time in as well. And it does nothing to acclimate me to having the dot disappear as I'm engaging targets.

Until someone makes a "training RDS" - or an RDS with a special mode to make it go out randomly, I can't see myself using them on any defensive pistol.. I want the transition to irons to be as instinctive as hitting the mag release on a dead trigger. No thought.

I don't find this to be an issue on long guns because I tend to use absolute co-witness anyhow. Even lower-third isn't horrible for making the transition natural, and in any case the cheek weld brings it all together.
    But with a pistol, it just seems way too natural to spend time fishing for the dot.

It's scary.

You're overthinking it. There is a set of contingency actions if you're not seeing the dot. For the most new shooters, the dot loss is a training / skill issue, but even very experienced folks sometimes lose it. Or sometimes the optic does die. It is not my place or venue to explain what can be done in these situations, or convince anyone who aren't comfortable with the dot idea to try it. I only responded because your posts to me suggests a possibility of a paralysis by analysis, not the experience. From my experience, your concern is a non-issue. As they say, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by d3msd8le View Post
    Had the new VP9 2020 at the range today, and went very badly. With the Trijicon SRO (shown in the pic) and my usual range bulk ammo of the Remington UMC ...
    I think the answer is obvious.
    GraveDigger78 and CCT125US like this.
    “When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

... Remington UMC 115 gr, I got multiple failures to fully cycle.
    Same ol' VP9 40-spring-tosis break-in.
    Agreed on the 17 a better config vs. the 20, awaiting your additional report on the 17rd mag the 2nd time out.
    WolfieRules likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Check this out. VP9 2020 on top, VP9T from a few years ago bottom. HK milled out a bunch of (hopefully) non essential metal to reduce weight to compensate for optic weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Vp9 2020 vs standard vp9-20200202_144045_1580702998160.jpg  
    Malpaso likes this.

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Nice touch. Other makers don't do that between their regular and optic models. Wonder if it is really necessary though but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will the long slide for the VP9 get this pre cut as well? I sure hope so.
    HK USP .40
    HK Mark 23
    HK USP Elite 9
    HK USPc SS .40/.357 Sig
    HK VP70Z
    HK 45 Tactical OD Green
    HK P30LS LE Pkg
    On the hunt for: More HK goodness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, they come with zero plate, just the slide cover. All plates are extra, and purchased separately. Which is just nuts. Glock, FN, and I’m sure many others all come with like 4 or 5 adapter plates. Don’t really get what HK is doing here, but not a good plan

The Glock 45 comes with like 4 plates, and is $50 less wholesale and $50 less MSRP than the VP9 2020.
    Quite honestly, the ones that come with Glocks are utter junk. They don't provide enough thread engagement, and they're cast parts with shitty tolerances that make some optics a nightmare to zero. Most Glock guys buy aftermarket plates for the MOS system; it'd be better if the Glocks didn't even come with the plates and cut the cost as I'm sure HK was thinking.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You're overthinking it. There is a set of contingency actions if you're not seeing the dot. For the most new shooters, the dot loss is a training / skill issue, but even very experienced folks sometimes lose it. Or sometimes the optic does die. It is not my place or venue to explain what can be done in these situations, or convince anyone who aren't comfortable with the dot idea to try it. I only responded because your posts to me suggests a possibility of a paralysis by analysis, not the experience. From my experience, your concern is a non-issue. As they say, YMMV.
    I've tried other people's pistols with optics at the range, and have talked with instructors about. To me, it's more stuff to think about with the gun itself that I don't really want to deal with. My immediate impression after a few brief tries was I wouldn't want that on a carry piece.

But you're right -- I've never tried a red dot on a pistol of my own and really worked at it, for fun if nothing less. A VP9 with suppressor sites ready for an optic would be an easy way of trying it out regularly. But if its really not ready out of the box, I'm really not interested.

When someone with a VP9, suppressor sights, and red dot wants to upgrade to a cadillac P8, maybe I take interest.
    Own: HK91, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, P8A1, USP SD, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5? Assuming I can find an honest seller.

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

RDS is something that doesn't work out well if you just dabble in it. In my experience it is frustrating at first, and keeps being frustrating for some time. I tried first time 8 years ago, didn't stick with it, and quit. Tried again 18 months ago, stuck with it, and now regret not doing it right the first time.
    Besides patience and dedication, it requires sticking with one type of gun, or guns that index the same.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links