Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: VP9 Striker Drop with Impact to Grip

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mngo888 View Post

Okay, I understand your distrust for Sig Sauer and that they could possibly be lying about this as well. I just don't see why they would lie in favor of a competitors gun.

The wording does seem vague and does not have any objective evidence but rather his overall perspective is on this matter. I would rather have the numbers. I am focused more on the Sig Sauer test than on his opinion.
    I don't know if I trust SIG that they even did any testing, or did it very diligently, how about that?

Phil Strader is a competitive shooter and a PR figure, not an engineer. What does he have to do with the lab testing of guns to establish new better-then-SAAMI test standards? What was the protocol? Did they drop / hit guns at angles/places that induce striker drop or not? We know that some folks haven't been able to drop the striker, others did with ease, so did SIG test included appropriate sample size of VPs and in different states of wear?

SIG is a company that managed to miss a drop induced firearm discharge potential that has led to grievous injuries in their own product. Nothing here makes me think they are capable or willing of appropriately testing somebody's product.
    So, when people I know personally say some VPs drop the striker, thats enough for me. I literally don't care what SIG says they found, or didn't find, in testing they may have done but no public evidence of exists.
    Cut_to_Cure likes this.
    “When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

All I can say is this....Sig 938 sucks balls

Sig P228/P229...………..210% reliable

For the last 25+ years.....
    PorterM likes this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

PC7
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I call BS on this whole "issue."
    Can you hit a VP with a sledge hammer and drop the sear? Sure.
    However, the force required is not going to be encountered unless you fall off a building with it. And you will have bigger problems than a dead trigger.

I say this because in order for the sear to release, it has to overcome the friction on the firing pin AND, most importantly, the force of the sear spring.
    And if you look at the design of the VP (the sear moves down against the spring), this could only potentially occur with impact to the mag well only.
    Now having said that, I have a VP with the Lazy Wolf sear spring which is easily 30 to 40% weaker/lighter than the stock spring.
    I have struck it as hard as I can on the mag well without breaking it and it will NOT release the firing pin.
    So if this "issue" exists, I should be able to easily replicate it with a much lighter sear spring, correct?

And as to the poster in the other thread that supposedly had this happen on duty.
    He's MIA after being asked if he contacted HK or informed his department.
    The best part, he's now going to carry a Sig P320. You smell what's cooking?

Oh, two other things before I go:
    1) Texas DPS tested the VP9 and loved it but did not adopt it because of the paddle mag release.
    That was before the B model was available.
    2) The P7 had one instance of firing when dropped by a LEO but it was never able to be replicated by HK.
    So any pistol, even the greatest ever (the P7), can have stories of drop malfunction but are they ever really going to happen?
    Last edited by PC7; 02-15-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    WolfieRules and HALO51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PC7 View Post
    I call BS on this whole "issue."
    Can you hit a VP with a sledge hammer and drop the sear? Sure.
    However, the force required is not going to be encountered unless you fall off a building with it. And you will have bigger problems than a dead trigger.

I say this because in order for the sear to release, it has to overcome the friction on the firing pin AND, most importantly, the force of the sear spring.
    And if you look at the design of the VP (the sear moves down against the spring), this could only potentially occur with impact to the mag well only.
    Now having said that, I have a VP with the Lazy Wolf sear spring which is easily 30 to 40% weaker/lighter than the stock spring.
    I have struck it as hard as I can on the mag well without breaking it and it will NOT release the firing pin.
    So if this "issue" exists, I should be able to easily replicate it with a much lighter sear spring, correct?

And as to the poster in the other thread that supposedly had this happen on duty.
    He's MIA after being asked if he contacted HK or informed his department.
    The best part, he's now going to carry a Sig P320. You smell what's cooking?

Oh, two other things before I go:
    1) Texas DPS tested the VP9 and loved it but did not adopt it because of the paddle mag release.
    That was before the B model was available.
    2) The P7 had one instance of firing when dropped by a LEO but it was never able to be replicated by HK.
    So any pistol, even the greatest ever (the P7), can have stories of drop malfunction but are they ever really going to happen?
    Bias? Apologist?

It actually doesn’t take much force at all, actually. I’d video it for you but I sold my last of seven VP9s tonight. Going to LEM P30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

All I can say to this is:

Yawn....... there is nothing wrong with the VP9.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Sponsored Links