VP9 Match Barrel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: VP9 Match Barrel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default VP9 Match Barrel

Worth it when shooting cheap range ammo?

And if yes, which barrel?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

99% chance you can’t outshoot the factory barrel. Save your money and buy ammo and get training.

Question, can you consistently shoot better than 95/100 on a 25 yard B8? I’d not, then the barrel won’t help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WolfieRules and raks like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    99% chance you can’t outshoot the factory barrel. Save your money and buy ammo and get training.

Question, can you consistently shoot better than 95/100 on a 25 yard B8? I’d not, then the barrel won’t help you.
    While I agree with your premise of training, a better barrel can help anyone narrow a grouping by a given margin.

But to justify my statement a little - if a barrel shoots 2" groups at 25 yds, and a shooter can shoot a 3" group with it, then it is possible that if a better barrel that can hold 1" group at 25 yds, that it could improve the shooter's group to about 2". (I just chose round numbers to say that if you can improve in certain points of certain things by merely switching equipment, then why not?)

If the difference is quantifiable, then the OP (and others) might benefit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
    While I agree with your premise of training, a better barrel can help anyone narrow a grouping by a given margin.

But to justify my statement a little - if a barrel shoots 2" groups at 25 yds, and a shooter can shoot a 3" group with it, then it is possible that if a better barrel that can hold 1" group at 25 yds, that it could improve the shooter's group to about 2". (I just chose round numbers to say that if you can improve in certain points of certain things by merely switching equipment, then why not?)

If the difference is quantifiable, then the OP (and others) might benefit.

A) There aren't any Match VP9 barrels (that I'm aware of) that would be worth consideration over the factory barrel which rivals match-grade for other makes.

B) I'll raise RedPill's stakes and say 100% that anyone asking this question especially about crappy range ammo can't out-shoot their gun.

C) Like rifles, "match" barrels should be match twist with bullet weight. Most match 9mm barrels are for 124+ or heavier like 147gr and shoot 115gr like crap. Commercial guns use the equivalent of 1:9" in an AR in that they try to split the difference with a Jack-of-all, master-of-none option.

D) If you're a 4" group @ 25 and your gun is 2" capable in a Ransom, this does not mean it's now a 6" combination....you just can't hope for better than 4" until you improve. 1" ain't going to happen in this arena.

Posted before... [The VP9 barrel is fine]

WolfieRules likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I am not so sure any improvement with a match barrel would be worth it with cheap range ammo. I would take some time to find out what cheap range ammo your VP9 likes best by shooting a wide variety of ammo from a rest/sand bag and documenting results. My go to ammo is Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 gr but each pistol can be a bit different. I have had pretty good results among my various pistols with Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot, and PMC also.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

dms16 said all that needs to be. Well done!
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

No match barrels available, al HK long slide kit will help with accuracy along with some trigger work.
    Bill
    HelioUSP likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if it is considered match but my Silencerco barrel is very accurate.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

@dms16 is correct. I can speak specifically to the 115, 124, 147gr issue. We used to run 9mm handguns (Made in Germany Sig P226 (yes, I know, I'm old)). Those German guns shot 124 and 147gr ammo like you were shooting from a rest. As soon as you put 115gr (read: cheap American market ammo) in the guns, the groups (every ones) opened WAY up, and point of impact shift several inches left. Put good ammo in the gun and everything closed back down and returned to center. Again, this was 20+ years ago, when Sig handguns were still made in Germany....

my point being, as others have said, you are far better suited shooting good ammo and practicing/training often, then trying to buy a part/barrel to improve accuracy. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, that is what will improve accuracy.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get, or do yourself, some trigger work. I don't own a VP9, but I've been around a lot of guns. A nice trigger is a must. A great trigger is transcendent. It's one of the reasons why 1911s are still so popular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links