Stainless Steel Recoil Spring for HK-VP9SK
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stainless Steel Recoil Spring for HK-VP9SK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Stainless Steel Recoil Spring for HK-VP9SK

Hey Folks,

Curious if you think the recoil spring upgrade is worth it, or if its really much of an upgrade at all. This is the one I keep seeing. I'm a beginner so recoil is pretty important to me. Here is the link to the product I was checking out. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

https://hkparts.net/product/stainles...9sk-p18660.htm

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdpe21 View Post
    really much of an upgrade at all.
    Not really . I'm not a big fan of replacing something that works with something that might. IF you were to have a failure do to the spring, you have just voided your warranty . Spend the money on some good ammo and let the spring do it's thing the natural way. But hey, it's like your undies, it's up to you
    archery68 likes this.
    Certified NRA RSO

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Buying replacement parts for the sake of relaxing them is silly.

If you find a deficiency, then consider replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    archery68 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The recoil on my VP9sk is pretty mellow, and it's been 100% through more than 1,000 rounds, so there's no way I'm messing with mine.
    roadking2007 and archery68 like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with others. Leave it be. I own several handguns, Glock and HK. They just work!!! The only thing that I have ever changed on my glocks is the sights and an extended slide stop/release. On my HK pistols I have changed nothing.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, there is a lot of hype in that description.
    "will not bend or distort like a factory plastic guide rod." Well, I can neither bend nor distort the factory guide rod in my VP9sk. It's solid as a ...... stainless(?) rod.
    "adds extra weight under the barrel. This can help reduce recoil, which in turn equals less muzzle climb when rapid firing." - Seriously? No way that rod is going to add enough mass to counter muzzle flip. Learning to handle the weapon will do more good.
    Leave the SK as is. It's a great shooter, smooth as a small compact can be. I like what Crashmc, spend the $$s on ammo. You'll be much better served that way than a SSRA.
    Kenny E

If at first you don't succeed, perhaps skydiving isn't for you.
    Two silk worms were in a race. They ended up in a tie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdpe21 View Post
    Hey Folks,

Curious if you think the recoil spring upgrade is worth it, or if its really much of an upgrade at all. This is the one I keep seeing. I'm a beginner so recoil is pretty important to me. Here is the link to the product I was checking out. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

https://hkparts.net/product/stainles...9sk-p18660.htm
    Hello Rdpe21

First, welcome to shooting, HK, and the forum. A couple of thoughts for you on this.

1. As the other posters said, replacing that part isn't something people do much for various reasons. You do seem to hear about it being done more on Glocks, for example, but Glocks also are more known for aftermarket modifications generally.

2. Reading the product description you provided, the product seems to work by adding weight to the the gun. some folks add an external laser/light under the barrel to achieve a similar effect (i.e., more weight). There are also things called "match weights". If you've ever seen John Wick 1, that's the thing on the end of his HK P30L. Though, John Wick aside, match weights are not something people typically have for self-defense applications (though John Wick was on offense most of time, I suppose :)

3. HK does make a long-slide kit for the VP9. The long slide does help recoil a bit. We tested out the long-slide v the standard at my gun club and the long slide shot noticeably flatter. So the kit might be a good option without voiding your warranty. Note, though, that the long slide kit is intended more for sporting purposes, so maybe it wouldn't suit your purposes for having the gun.

4. Depending on how deep you want to go here, you might consider working on your grip strength to help manage recoil. IronMind is company that is very well known for grip strength tools and shooters are one of their specialty markets

5. if you are curious about springs, just for fun sometime you can check out the springs on the P30L or the VP9SK. The design is noticeably different than the standard VP9 spring and is intended to reduce the recoil on those guns. On the P30L it is called their "patented recoil reduction system" I think : ) I have a P30L (and a VP9) and there is a noticeable difference.

Best,
    SCPK

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCPK View Post
    Hello Rdpe21

First, welcome to shooting, HK, and the forum. A couple of thoughts for you on this.

1. As the other posters said, replacing that part isn't something people do much for various reasons. You do seem to hear about it being done more on Glocks, for example, but Glocks also are more known for aftermarket modifications generally.

2. Reading the product description you provided, the product seems to work by adding weight to the the gun. some folks add an external laser/light under the barrel to achieve a similar effect (i.e., more weight). There are also things called "match weights". If you've ever seen John Wick 1, that's the thing on the end of his HK P30L. Though, John Wick aside, match weights are not something people typically have for self-defense applications (though John Wick was on offense most of time, I suppose :)

3. HK does make a long-slide kit for the VP9. The long slide does help recoil a bit. We tested out the long-slide v the standard at my gun club and the long slide shot noticeably flatter. So the kit might be a good option without voiding your warranty. Note, though, that the long slide kit is intended more for sporting purposes, so maybe it wouldn't suit your purposes for having the gun.

4. Depending on how deep you want to go here, you might consider working on your grip strength to help manage recoil. IronMind is company that is very well known for grip strength tools and shooters are one of their specialty markets

5. if you are curious about springs, just for fun sometime you can check out the springs on the P30L or the VP9SK. The design is noticeably different than the standard VP9 spring and is intended to reduce the recoil on those guns. On the P30L it is called their "patented recoil reduction system" I think : ) I have a P30L (and a VP9) and there is a noticeable difference.

Best,
    SCPK
    Consider that a P30 slide must overcome the hammer/spring. This absorbs a large portion of recoil; more so than any recoil spring can.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I like OEM parts. HKP had a problem not too long ago with people's credit cards getting compromised after buying there. If you go that route be aware this happened.

There were a couple of threads in their vendor section but they took them down.
    HK - No Compromise

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good point RPR1.

also, I forgot to mention what is perhaps the most fundamental thing for RDPE21s consideration: check your shooting stance. Think as if you were pushing a refrigerator or something like that. meaning, athletic stance, weight slightly forward, perhaps having your shooting side foot slightly further back. this is called the "modified isosceles" stance. If you are standing totally straight up, or worse, "water skiing" you are putting yourself at a mechanical disadvantage vs recoil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links