HK45 with 45 super for woods gun - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: HK45 with 45 super for woods gun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yesterday I bought the full size HK USP 45 V1, it has a 4.4" long barrel, and 3, 12 round mags.
    I couldn't find anything marked F1.

hkbullseye
    Lookup 460 Rowland conversion. You can order a 6” USP45 Jarvis barrel, send it to Johnny Rowland for chambering and porting, and send 240 hardcast at 1300fps flying. Switch barrels/recoil assembly’s back and forth anytime. I really enjoy mine...
    That might just happen.
    mew likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on the loads I have tested, wide meplat hard cast bullets do not feed reliably in the USP FS, or most other service pistols. If you feel like you need a wide meplat hard cast load, a revolver is going to be a more reliable option.

A feature of the Lehigh Penetrator bullets, as loaded by Underwood and Lehigh, is the bullet profile has a round nose FMJ profile that feeds well in the many different pistols I have tested it in. In Super, I have vetted the Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ and Underwood Lehigh .45 Super loads in multiple USP FS and HK45C pistols. Also, in a single HK45. However, the BB Super load would not function reliably in USP 45 Compact pistols.

For the situation described in the OP, I would carry a 9 or regular 45 and not worry at all. Perhaps run a magazine of the Underwood Lehigh while in the field.
    I listened to what GJM said and actually bought my first HK45c for this purpose. I believe he mentioned somewhere that he has tested 1000 rounds of Underwood 45 Super 200 Grain Xtreme Penetrator SKU 824 in USPf and HK45c combined.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I actually load and shoot the 45 Super a lot. I've tried several factory and personally loaded varieties. My personal favorite is 250gr flat nose FMJ, however I load my own. If you're buying than the Underwood 255gr coated hard cast is probably your best choice. I have never shot a bear but I have shot a few hogs with a similar load. Penetration is great, bones will be broken, recoil is manageable. My preferred power level is 250's at about 1050-1100 fps. In the H&K MK23 with a flush RMC barrel ejection is about 8' in the H&K UPS Tactical it's about 10'-12'. If the load slows you down too much on rapid fire then 45+p in the same style might serve you better. Not to disparage the 460 Rowland but it might be too much of a good thing. This is more of a hunting cartridge where you set when and where you take the shot. Not defensive on a short notice or surprise, here I would probable empty the mag as quickly and accurately as I could then reload. It's not an argument of 45 Super vs 460 Rowland, but many 45 Super vs fewer 460 Rowland in a limited time engagement. My back up when hunting hogs is a Glock 19 loaded with 16 rounds of 147gr coated hard cast flat nose at about 1100 fps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I reload 40 Smith and Wesson All I need are a set of dies.

Can't wait to pick it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Due to this thread I ordered some of the .400 LeHigh penetrator bullets to load up in 10mm. If they arrive in time I can load them and try out on feral hogs.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

which HK is best for going up against bigfoot?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d5k_deutsche View Post
    which HK is best for going up against bigfoot?
    .........HK45 with 45 super for woods gun-40mm_systems_and_the_vingmate_family_003.jpg
    Faustus and John001 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links