HK45 with 45 super for woods gun
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: HK45 with 45 super for woods gun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK45 with 45 super for woods gun

Just came back from a new gun shop, and inquired about a HK45, and firing 45 super rounds for a woods gun.

The gun shop owner said that 45+p is the only hot round that the HK45 could handle, and a 10mm was the way to go.

can the HK45 run 45 super rounds threw it?
    I thought that it could.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I use super in the mark 23. Super isn't the recommended ammo in either. I personally wouldn't be at ease shooting super through my hk45.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The USP 45F can handle .45 Super without modification; with the HK45 it is recommended that you put a heavier recoil spring in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just looked up the USP 45, it has a 12 round magazine compared to the HK45 that holds 10.

I am going to be deer hunting where there are bears, and I want to be prepared just in case.
    As far as the woods gun goes, it is down to a 44magnum or a 45 that can fire the 45 super.

Underwood Ammunition 45 Super 200 Grain Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator comes in at 1,100 fps.

Can Hard Cast Lead rounds be used in the USP 45?

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

an HK45 would not be a great host for 45 Super IMO it's not meant for that in any way. USP? sure it can handle it.
    my choice would be a G20 w/15rds of hard cast 10mm for a dedicated woods/bear gun or a .44 mag with 300gr JSP
    such as this Sierra https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...95-300-gr-jsp/
    Last edited by mew; 02-28-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    PorterM likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you mean by woods gun? Is it for backup in bear country? To have a backup when bow hunting deer? Backup for feral hog hunting? Depending upon what your use is you could load some Lehigh Penetrators in 45 ACP if it were just a backup gun. There might be better Bullet choices depending upon what you expect to shoot. I shot a 200 pound feral hog with 454 Penetrators and although they do not expand it dropped that pig in its tracks with one shot.
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/all?aj...eme-penetrator
    0311S likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shouldn't be a problem with hard cast bullets if cleaned regularly. As far as bear, I don't know which species of bear you are referring to, but any subspecies of brown bear would more than likely take you out before you manage to take it down with a 45 super or 44 magnum. Black bears are very unlikely to mess with you and would much rather go the other direction in most cases than confront a human. As with any wild animal there are certainly exceptions.

All of that being said, a 45 super makes for a great woods gun and that is my primary use for my USP 45. A pistol chambered in 10 mm can also make for a great woods gun, but obviously not an option if you want to go with an HK sidearm
    Last edited by PorterM; 02-28-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PorterM View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem with hard cast bullets if cleaned regularly. As far as bear, I don't know which species of bear you are referring to, but any subspecies of brown bear would more than likely take you out before you manage to take it down with a 45 super or 44 magnum. Black bears are very unlikely to mess with you and would much rather go the other direction in most cases than confront a human. As with any wild animal there are certainly exceptions.

All of that being said, a 45 super makes for a great woods gun and that is my primary use for my USP 45. A pistol chambered in 10 mm can also make for a great woods gun, but obviously not an option if you want to go with an HK sidearm
    People have different ideas of woods guns and although I’d prefer 10mm with appropriate loads as a backup, any gun is better than no gun. I have a coworker who grew up in Alaska and he and a friend stumbled across a bear (I don’t recall what kind) and he killed it with a 9mm since he happened to be carrying that and nothing else. Whether just lucky or not it worked. That’s not my choice of caliber to carry but 45 could work depending on what he’s using it for. There’s nothing that works for every situation and that’s why I carry multiple options depending on what I’m doing - from 10mm to 454 Casull to 500 S&W. But not everyone has that option so he can make do with what he has/wants if need be.
    PorterM likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrvmax View Post
    People have different ideas of woods guns and although I’d prefer 10mm with appropriate loads as a backup, any gun is better than no gun. I have a coworker who grew up in Alaska and he and a friend stumbled across a bear (I don’t recall what kind) and he killed it with a 9mm since he happened to be carrying that and nothing else. Whether just lucky or not it worked. That’s not my choice of caliber to carry but 45 could work depending on what he’s using it for. There’s nothing that works for every situation and that’s why I carry multiple options depending on what I’m doing - from 10mm to 454 Casull to 500 S&W. But not everyone has that option so he can make do with what he has/wants if need be.
    Oh, I absolutely agree and understand, I just always mention that caveat when talking about bear defense. Didn't mean to put anyone down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PorterM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrvmax View Post
    Oh, I absolutely agree and understand, I just always mention that caveat when talking about bear defense. Didn't mean to put anyone down.
    Understood, you weren’t putting anyone down. I’m not in bear country so fortunately that’s not an issue. I was impressed with the 454 Penetrators so I’m planning on buying the .40 version and loading some 10mm to try on feral hogs.
    PorterM likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links