Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mneblett

Thread: First malfunction with P30

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First malfunction with P30

Ammo: 9mm, 124gr, Sellier & Bellot
    Malfunction: failure to extract

After approximately 6,000 rounds, I finally had a malfunction with my P30. I honestly thought it was never going to happen because itís eaten everything from garbage ammo to premium stuff. The P30 has fired ammo my friendsí pistols have choked on without any problems.

I started thinking that ultimately the recoil spring assembly would be the culprit for a malfunction because they canít last forever. When I switched over to the USP Tactical 9 using the same ammo, after around 10 shots I had a couple cases eject directly into my forehead. Iíve never had that happen with the USP or P30 with any ammo. I also noticed that my wrist and forearm were dirty with a lot of debris. Iíve always had good luck with S&B ammo, but Iím beginning to suspect a possible ammo-related issue linked to the malfunction on the P30. Both pistols seemed far dirtier than usual, and given the FTEx with the P30 and the odd ejection pattern with the USP, Iím wondering about the ammo itself.

Thoughts?

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Chalk it up to out-of-spec ammo. I have never had problems with S&B ammo you've used with any of my HK 9's. Ditto for the 40, 45, and 357sig.

The RSA in your P30 is good for at least 25,000 rounds, so you have a ways to go.

Also, try different ammo brands and see what happens. I'd be surprised if you experience the same results.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'd suggest checking for dirt under the extractor hook. That could explain both the failure to extract (hook not getting in far enough to get a good grip on the rim) and the brass to the face (I cured my .40 USP's face-brass issue by replacing the quite worn extractor)
    Chui likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I shot another 2 magazines out of the P30 after the malfunction, and it ran fine. Also, forgot to mention that I was using the OEM extended 20-round magazines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    I'd suggest checking for dirt under the extractor hook. That could explain both the failure to extract (hook not getting in far enough to get a good grip on the rim) and the brass to the face (I cured my .40 USP's face-brass issue by replacing the quite worn extractor)
    The brass to the face was only out of the USP, and it’s very clean and still pretty new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You never know when a manufacturer is going to change their recipe, and it certainly could have happened with the S&B ammo, but I'm doubtful. Over the past decade I've shot 50K - 60K rounds of S&B 115gr and have had zero obvious ammo defects with their stuff (hard to know exactly tho when running FA with a variety of mags). It runs nice and hot and my MP5's love it. My P30 and P30sk both love it, but I've only shot a few thousand through the pistols. Of course it's possible, but I would carefully inspect the gun.

I'm interested to know if you find anything or come to a conclusion. Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Meh, shrimp happens. Get it out and keep trucking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I noticed the P30’s extractor was absolutely gunked up. It probably had 300 rounds through it since the last cleaning, yet it was shockingly dirty for that round count.

Still, the P30 has been a tank and shot perfectly even after the FTE. The USP subsequently had a weird ejection pattern, so I’m pretty sure it’s the ammo.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'll take weird ejections over squib loads any day, but this is weird coming from S&B, but even the best will have a bad/weird batch now and again.
    Looking for BG P30L V3 9mm & BG USP 9 Expert

Sponsored Links