USP 45 Tactical serial number weirdness
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USP 45 Tactical serial number weirdness

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default USP 45 Tactical serial number weirdness

So, just to complete my journey that I started in this thread, I finally traded my USP 45 stainless for a USP 45 Tactical to a guy local to me.

When I got the gun home and was logging the serial number for my insurance documents, I noticed that the serial number on the slide and barrel did not match the number on the frame. Normally, that would indicate somebody was playing games, putting some parts together to pass off as a tactical (not that those don't have their place as my USP 9 "Tactical" is one such gun, but I wouldn't try to pass it off as a factory gun). However, in this case, the two sets of serial numbers are literally off by one in the very last digit (barrel and slide end in 33 and the frame ends in 32). The other thing that might indicate is a repair, with a slide being damaged and replaced (or frame), but if that's case what are the odds the repair parts would be one digit off like that?

From what I can tell, the frame has expected match trigger (it feels pretty similar to that of my Expert 45 and has the little screw in the trigger itself, unlike my USP 9). I talked to the guy who I traded it from and he said he was embarrassed that he had never noticed it and offered to swap it back. I told him not to worry about it and I just wanted to make sure he hadn't had a set of sequential tacticals that he maybe accidentally swapped slides with when cleaning. He confirmed that while he has a bunch of HK pistols, he's never owned a sequential set. He bought it used though, so maybe the previous owner had made the swap?

I don't know though, it seems to me that most people who own sequential sets of pistols are pretty unlikely to A) be careless enough to swap slides and B) sell them as anything other than a matching set, since those seem to command a premium for anal retentive collectors.

There are only 2 scenarios that I can think of on how this would have happened:

1. Somehow this USP Tactical had been a police gun and they had gotten swapped around by a careless armorer at some point (though the gun has no rack or department markings on it)

2. This happened at the actual factory. Since my other USPs all had all 3 numbers matching, I don't know why it would be intentional on this gun. Monday morning mistake?

Anyone heard of anything like this? I don't think it really affects the function of the gun and given how much I paid for that Stainless (not much), I still got a pretty damn good deal on the Tactical. So this is really just a curiosity thing.

Pictures:

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

It would almost have to be a factory mistake on the assembly line. zero chance of a frame replacement as you stated as a possibility.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

It certainly looks like it was a PD gun at some point. Only thing that makes sense to me is that maybe a PD had both sequential guns at some point and their armorer swapped the slide assemblies unknowingly and no one ever noticed. Absolutely 0% that the frame is a replacement. I would also say its a 0% chance that it arrived that way when imported from HK Germany here to HK USA.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I'll give you one other POSSIBLE scenario.

It could have happened when it was at the original gun store. They almost ALWAYS check the serial number on the slide of the gun against the serial number on the box. Rare is the day that ANYONE checks the receiver number against the slide number. And IF they had a couple of them side by side, field stripped both of them, they could have accidentally swapped them during reassembly.

The easiest way to check is to call HK Customer Support and give THEM both serial numbers - THEY KNOW what each serial number went to which gun as it was made at the factory. Ask me WHY I know this.
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...-mag-well.html

Then you will at least know which gun the receiver went to.

NICE 45 Tactical BTW
    Last edited by wallew; 04-06-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Change the 3 to a 2. Jerry Seinfeld did it with his jeans.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    I'll give you one other POSSIBLE scenario.

It could have happened when it was at the original gun store. They almost ALWAYS check the serial number on the slide of the gun against the serial number on the box. Rare is the day that ANYONE checks the receiver number against the slide number. And IF they had a couple of them side by side, field stripped both of them, they could have accidentally swapped them during reassembly.

The easiest way to check is to call HK Customer Support and give THEM both serial numbers - THEY KNOW what each serial number went to which gun as it was made at the factory. Ask me WHY I know this.
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...-mag-well.html

Then you will at least know which gun the receiver went to.

NICE 45 Tactical BTW
    I shot them an email with the serial number and pictures. We'll see if they reply.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Oh. You got that one. It has been flagged. It's been in the men's room.
    Beowulf likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    So, just to complete my journey that I started in this thread, I finally traded my USP 45 stainless for a USP 45 Tactical to a guy local to me.

When I got the gun home and was logging the serial number for my insurance documents, I noticed that the serial number on the slide and barrel did not match the number on the frame. Normally, that would indicate somebody was playing games, putting some parts together to pass off as a tactical (not that those don't have their place as my USP 9 "Tactical" is one such gun, but I wouldn't try to pass it off as a factory gun). However, in this case, the two sets of serial numbers are literally off by one in the very last digit (barrel and slide end in 33 and the frame ends in 32). The other thing that might indicate is a repair, with a slide being damaged and replaced (or frame), but if that's case what are the odds the repair parts would be one digit off like that?

From what I can tell, the frame has expected match trigger (it feels pretty similar to that of my Expert 45 and has the little screw in the trigger itself, unlike my USP 9). I talked to the guy who I traded it from and he said he was embarrassed that he had never noticed it and offered to swap it back. I told him not to worry about it and I just wanted to make sure he hadn't had a set of sequential tacticals that he maybe accidentally swapped slides with when cleaning. He confirmed that while he has a bunch of HK pistols, he's never owned a sequential set. He bought it used though, so maybe the previous owner had made the swap?

I don't know though, it seems to me that most people who own sequential sets of pistols are pretty unlikely to A) be careless enough to swap slides and B) sell them as anything other than a matching set, since those seem to command a premium for anal retentive collectors.

There are only 2 scenarios that I can think of on how this would have happened:

1. Somehow this USP Tactical had been a police gun and they had gotten swapped around by a careless armorer at some point (though the gun has no rack or department markings on it)

2. This happened at the actual factory. Since my other USPs all had all 3 numbers matching, I don't know why it would be intentional on this gun. Monday morning mistake?

Anyone heard of anything like this? I don't think it really affects the function of the gun and given how much I paid for that Stainless (not much), I still got a pretty damn good deal on the Tactical. So this is really just a curiosity thing.

Pictures:

You didn't check it out until you got home? The seller /trader didn't disclose this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Condition0 View Post
    You didn't check it out until you got home? The seller /trader didn't disclose this?
    Only HK fanboys look for this type of stuff!!!

Tony
    staplegunguy and wallew like this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Condition0 View Post

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    To be honest, no, I didn't think about it. At a quick glance, they look the same and with all this craziness I didn't really want to spend too much time hanging out in the parking lot going over it in masks and gloves. I checked the basics, overall condition and functionality.

The seller claims he never noticed, which honestly, I believe. Most I've ever really paid attention to the markings, other than recording the serials for insurance purposes, is to check the date code. And like I said, when I mentioned it to him, he immediately offered to trade back. But since I'm more of a shooter than a collector, it doesn't bother me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links