Quick question about mag springs

Thread: Quick question about mag springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Quick question about mag springs

Been shooting HK handguns for over 20 years. My first was a USP Compact 40 that I had for roughly 16 years and had over 20k rounds thru without a single issue. That solidified my standing with HK. Since then, I've had a USP Elite 40, a P30 and now a VP9. I have a question though. Even though I never had any issues with my USP Cmpt 40, how many rounds should we go thru in a mag before we change the mag spring? I never did change any of the springs in my 5 mags for that gun. I have changed them in my WC 1911, but that was more for upgrade than anything else. Are the spring changes recommended by number is rounds? Time? Thanks

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I don’t know if there’s a factory recommended interval to change them, but after 8k rounds per magazine, I would definitely change them out now. That is a lot! I’m surprised you made it that far without a single failure along the way. Pretty impressive, IMO.
    - CPshooter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CPshooter View Post
    I don’t know if there’s a factory recommended interval to change them, but after 8k rounds per magazine, I would definitely change them out now. That is a lot! I’m surprised you made it that far without a single failure along the way. Pretty impressive, IMO.
    I dont have that particular handgun anymore. My only HK now is my VP9. I only have about 50 rounds at most they it so far. I was just trying to get an idea about the mag spring because I did have a G22 that I had major mag spring issues with. It jammed on me 3 times the very first trip to the range on the first mag. I unloaded it and rapid fired the remaining rounds thru my USP Cmpt 40 without an issue. I never bought another Glock after that until my recent G34 which was bought for a specific purpose. I'm going to have the John Wick Combat Master package done to it thru Taran Tactical.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

HK is conservative on number of rounds in a magazine and I wander if that is one of the reasons their springs last so long. If you use the search function on the top right of the screen I found the below :

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...ag-spring.html

I could not find USP 9 18 round mag springs and tried to call HK CS and they did not even have them to sell to me. They wanted me to send the magazine in so their armorer could review them and replace if needed.
    HK - No Compromise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be buying for my 15 round VP9 mags now.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PWPhoto View Post
    Been shooting HK handguns for over 20 years. My first was a USP Compact 40 that I had for roughly 16 years and had over 20k rounds thru without a single issue. That solidified my standing with HK. Since then, I've had a USP Elite 40, a P30 and now a VP9. I have a question though. Even though I never had any issues with my USP Cmpt 40, how many rounds should we go thru in a mag before we change the mag spring? I never did change any of the springs in my 5 mags for that gun. I have changed them in my WC 1911, but that was more for upgrade than anything else. Are the spring changes recommended by number is rounds? Time? Thanks

I cover magazine springs in this maintenance video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oARhxaRk_YA&t=89s
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sponsored Links