Replace my USP Tactical? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Replace my USP Tactical?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJP View Post
    It gives me the chills thinking about cutting into an HK slide.
    LOL, I don't understand this mentality. Milling for a hammer fired gun isn't as easy as an SFA, but it's hardly some kind of black magic, and USPs aren't some rare collectible with historical value. This ain't a museum piece.

I do understand the sentimental value aspect, so a second slide would be the easiest thing to do, IMO. Can keep most of your support gear, and re-use mags, etc.

I would recommend Mark Housel at L&M Precision for this (not too many shops out there with the skill to do a hammer-fired gun), paired with an Aimpoint ACRO, though I know there are folks that aren't fans of the ACRO due to its shorter battery life compared to most other RDSes, however I like the lack of tint (can be a minor issue in low light situation), the ability to change batteries without possibly shifting the zero, minimal distortion in the sight picture, and the fact that it's fully enclosed. The RMR is still a solid choice, though, and while I personally still don't really trust Holosun, a lot of folks have had great success with them, opting for them over the RMR purely out of performance and reliability metrics, cost no object.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    LOL, I don't understand this mentality. Milling for a hammer fired gun isn't as easy as an SFA, but it's hardly some kind of black magic, and USPs aren't some rare collectible with historical value. This ain't a museum piece.

I do understand the sentimental value aspect, so a second slide would be the easiest thing to do, IMO. Can keep most of your support gear, and re-use mags, etc.

I will respectfully disagree with you. What happens when the job goes wrong? Who is responsible for replacement of the damaged slide?
    Are you 110% certain that there are no design changes to the slide over the years?
    All valid questions. Do you want to be the paying guinea pig for this experiment???

If you can buy a second, sacrificial slide to experiment on that would be helpful. That way, the slide serialized to your frame and barrel can all stay together as a complete gun.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CGuns1 View Post
    I will respectfully disagree with you. What happens when the job goes wrong? Who is responsible for replacement of the damaged slide?
    I have no doubts that Mark would have owned up to the mistake and compensated me for it. That is going to be something you'll just have to figure out on who's a reputable shop and who ain't.

Are you 110% certain that there are no design changes to the slide over the years?
    All valid questions. Do you want to be the paying guinea pig for this experiment???
    Depending on how old the USP slide is, there certainly has been changes from the early years. That being said, backward compatibility has been maintained by all accounts. The cutting of USP slides for RMRs at this point is not bleeding edge, it's not common, but it's also not had any issues over the years. And I certainly was happy to be the first, AFAIK I'm the first person to have a P30 series gun milled for an ACRO (probably the same for hammer-fired H&Ks in general). I had full faith in Mark in being honest with me as to if he could do the job or not.

I get being apprehensive during the process, if you don't know who a good shop is, and need to go in purely on the testimonies of random strangers online, but that's separate from being inherently against milling of an H&K. That, combined with the fact that Mark has been milling H&K hammer-fired guns for years (and SIGs, and 1911s, etc.), makes me view it not as an experiment at all, but just something that's part of his standard repertoire.

If you can buy a second, sacrificial slide to experiment on that would be helpful. That way, the slide serialized to your frame and barrel can all stay together as a complete gun.
    I don't understand the obsession with keeping the serials matching either outside of resale value, which is not a concern for me. The barrel I use is already does not match my frame and slide (OEM P30L-SD threaded barrel), and I would just sell my non-threaded barrel if I knew there was a market for it.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-01-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    CGuns1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Descending into HKoholism
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post

I would recommend Mark Housel at L&M Precision for this (not too many shops out there with the skill to do a hammer-fired gun), paired with an Aimpoint ACRO, though I know there are folks that aren't fans of the ACRO due to its shorter battery life compared to most other RDSes, however I like the lack of tint (can be a minor issue in low light situation), the ability to change batteries without possibly shifting the zero, minimal distortion in the sight picture, and the fact that it's fully enclosed. The RMR is still a solid choice, though, and while I personally still don't really trust Holosun, a lot of folks have had great success with them, opting for them over the RMR purely out of performance and reliability metrics, cost no object.
    I do agree it is sentimental and fear-based, but I feel very uncomfortable.
    Imagine someone taking your sweet baby girl, and saying - she will be back in half an hour, with piercings in the nose, the belly button, and the cheeks.
    Even if that someone had 10k successful surgeries before, I would still try the plates first. :-)

Should I mention that I was shocked when the folks in the LGS (who know I am USP fanboy) showed me a stippled USP? I did not even want to touch it.

Please do not think ever lower of me now. :-)

If that was a block, well over there I replace most of the parts anyway, and I would accept stippling and milling.
    Last edited by MasterJP; 05-01-2020 at 11:14 PM.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Played with a VP9 for the first time last night. Have to say I like it much better than other striker fired's I've tried in the past. Still looking to get hands on a P30 for comparison. Availability for either appears it's going to be an issue.
    CGuns1 likes this.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Steve Prefontaine

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Shouldn't you have that conversation with the shop doing the work before it is done. Much better to do it before than after and you don't like their response. If they cannot answer your question to your satisfaction then move on.
    Condition0 likes this.
    HK - No Compromise

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Shouldn't you have that conversation with the shop doing the work before it is done. Much better to do it before than after and you don't like their response. If they cannot answer your question to your satisfaction then move on.

Common sense would dictate that.
    The problem is that the majority of owners do not think about such technical details of what needs to be done and only think about the desired result. And many so called “gunsmiths” lack the experience and know-how to correctly decide what work to accept and refuse, especially when bills need to get paid! ! ! The intersection of this is the reason why we see so many hack-job custom guns these days!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rgraff13 View Post
    Played with a VP9 for the first time last night. Have to say I like it much better than other striker fired's I've tried in the past. Still looking to get hands on a P30 for comparison. Availability for either appears it's going to be an issue.
    that's great to hear. VP9 is a great pistol, now with a slide ready cut for an optic.....

Hopefully you'll have a chance to hold a P30. The multiple grip panels of both the P30 and VP9 are a godsend. The P30 trigger breaks later in the pull, but you are a seasoned UPS TDA shooter, so that shouyldnt be an issue for you. The P30's reset though is something to consider. It is a LONG reset - and for good reason, since it is a duty pistol.....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Get a VP9. Seriously. Never thought I’d say that. But it is a fantastic value and a great shooter. The ergonomics are the best yet out of any foreign European weapons-maker. For ~$100 more than a Glock, you really cannot go wrong.
    The trick to it is to fit the SMALL backstrap even if you have large or XL hands. A night and day difference to the factory fitted medium backstrap.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Copy that CGuns1...appreciate the advice
    CGuns1 likes this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links