Replace my USP Tactical? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Replace my USP Tactical?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    You know, Wilson Combat, a high end custom gunsmithing firm known mostly for their work on 1911s, which have NEVER been a popular platform for the .40 S&W caliber is NOT the company I would point to to illustrate this point even though they have done some limited custom Beretta and Glock pattern work. Those firearms have never really been the core of Wilson business and I suspect if they worked on the Beretta 96 or made a custom .40 Glock they simply priced themselves out of the market. I know I was planning on getting them to do a 1911 some 30 years ago or so but when production 1911 manufacturers picked up their game getting a full on custom 1911 mostly lost the appeal. I could get 95% of what I wanted at less than 50% of the price and that mostly remains true. I know two or three guys who talked about sending their Beretta pistols in to Wilson. None did and I think only one of them even bought Wilson parts to put in his gun.

Better to cite the withdrawal of the Browning High Power in .40 some 15 or 20 years ago although that happened about the time FN was trying to stop making the BHP all together and claiming they would not sell firearms to civilians. The High Power has been discontinued in both 9mm and .40 for a while now.

Civilians are still buying .40 S&W although as I said I expect the popularity will decrease I don't expect it to disappear any time soon.

Wilson Combat produces their own proprietary calibers AND ammunition as well.
    It is very telling that they elected to discontinue the caliber offering in a major product line.
    There will be folks that will still buy .40S&W, similar to 10mm and .357Sig and the rest.
    But, my point is, it’s had its time and the key end users who influence handgun and ammo selection for the masses have all moved on from .40S&W, making it effectively a dead caliber.
    This is a good read and I posted it on purpose.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-secret-...ry?id=64719349

I have no dog in the fight. The writing was on the wall in 2014.
    I would prefer 10mm for handgun applications.
    But it is probably wise at this point to stick to 9mm handguns for ease of ammo availability and cost going into the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You do realize that the article you chose to post was apparently written by someone who is simply parroting what they've been told?
    The last line indicates a fundamental lack of understanding about the entire subject.

ABC News has never exactly been a wonderful source for firearms facts, or any facts for that matter. Probably hasn't been bothered with the facts since Peter Jennings became their anchor back in 1983 and IMO hasn't gotten any better since he passed away.
    A Metro New York reporter who apparently doesn't know the difference between .38 SP and .357 Magnum not to mention the difference between either and .357 Sig wouldn't be my first choice of authorities either.

Here is what REALLY made professionals give up the .40...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABCiPJRCyA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rgraff13,

How long until you supposed get a chance to look at the new gun?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This is turning into a long caliber war thread, which is amusing, since we all know the 400 Corbon is the best round, and is backward compatible to the USP with a drop in barrel (1500fps/675lbs)

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rgraff13 View Post
    Sadly, grudgingly, I have to admit my eyes aren't what they use to be. I'm thinking a dot sight might be the way to go.

I'd rather not alter (slide cut) my USP Tactical to accept an RMR type sight and I don't like the option of adding a mount to the rear iron sight cut (too high).

Buying a new duty pistol is definitely an option. Not a fan of striker fired (VP9) pistols. The P30 and its variants look enticing. Are you able to cut the slide on the P30's to accept red dot's?
    What role is your Tactical .45 used in? Home defense? Open carry? Range gun?
    For home defense/open carry I would not RMR the thing, if this is a range/competition gun, an RMR makes sense to a certain extent. I am not a fan of them tho
    CGuns1 likes this.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Condition 0: No caliber war or debate here. Just stating the facts and surprised by the disconnect from reality.

Kost: I agree. The RMRs are not up to survivability on a slide yet. Even though they are getting put there.
    Kost likes this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CGuns1 View Post
    Condition 0: No caliber war or debate here. Just stating the facts and surprised by the disconnect from reality.

Kost: I agree. The RMRs are not up to survivability on a slide yet. Even though they are getting put there.
    Agreed, but the 10mm needs either a new platform or a donor gun to convert (to stay with an HK), whereas the 400 Corbon as well as the 357sig is a barell swap for the HK shooter.
    I can't see HK developing a pistol in 10mm for the civilian market. With the improved ballistics of recent 9mm offerings, the one shot stop rates are nearly equal among the top most popular center fired handguns. But I'll still hold on to my 45s for probably ever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Condition0 View Post
    Agreed, but the 10mm needs either a new platform or a donor gun to convert (to stay with an HK), whereas the 400 Corbon as well as the 357sig is a barell swap for the HK shooter.
    I can't see HK developing a pistol in 10mm for the civilian market. With the improved ballistics of recent 9mm offerings, the one shot stop rates are nearly equal among the top most popular center fired handguns. But I'll still hold on to my 45s for probably ever.

To be clear I am not advocating for any caliber that is proprietary / not off the shelf for a handgun. I support the standardization.
    I think there have been too many choices available in the recent past that manufacturers were not always well prepared for.
    I buy 9mm and .45 handguns almost exclusively.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yup, that's where I am too, except for the long guns of course. Have you tried Buffalo Bore (I save it for the Mark 23)or the Hornady Critical Duty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll agree it's a weird sort of thread drift.

You know, if you are still buying .45 ACP then you aren't really supporting 'the standardization.'
    I support diversity in both firearms calibers and in models.
    I have no urge to give up the possibility of a USP to standardize on the P2000 or vice versa. Living in CA that's all the HK handgun options I get NIB but there are other HK handgun options in other states and other brand options both inside and outside of CA and their is always the chance of running into a deal on something previously owned here in CA.

For the first 10 years or so that I owned handguns I 'standardized' my personal calibers at .45 ACP and .22 LR. Eventually I branched out to include 9x19 because people I took to the range were intimidated by the .45 for some reason. What I found was that most who were intimidated by the .45 simply could not shoot ANYTHING very well including the .22 LR. Small women who didn't have a preconception/phobia shot the .45 better than large men managed to shoot the .22 LR. I picked up a 7.62x25 in the CZ-52 for the uniqueness of the action and for fun but while it is functional and I maintain ammo, it would not be among the first handguns I would reach for. After that I ran into a deal on a pair of .44 Mag revolvers I couldn't turn down. I should have tried harder to snag the P7 and a couple others that were in the same collection. I now also have .38 SP, .357 Mag, .22 WMR .380 ACP and .32 ACP (Someone almost gave me an old Savage).

I have never bought a firearm in .40 S&W or .357 Sig or .45 GAP or .400 Cor-Bon (I probably won't ever get the latter two.) I haven't acquired or converted anything to .45 Super although I find the last quite intriguing. The biggest reason I might have bought a .40, outside of running into someone selling one at a rather low price, would have been to convert a Para P16-40 to a 10mm and I never got around to either that or simply having a wide body 1911 custom built in the caliber.

Lucky for me I don't have to lock into any single handgun caliber.
    Last edited by StarWolf; 05-17-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links