Replace my USP Tactical? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Replace my USP Tactical?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    I'll agree it's a weird sort of thread drift.

You know, if you are still buying .45 ACP then you aren't really supporting 'the standardization.'
    I support diversity in both firearms calibers and in models.
    I have no urge to give up the possibility of a USP to standardize on the P2000 or vice versa. Living in CA that's all the HK handgun options I get NIB but there are other HK handgun options in other states and other brand options both inside and outside of CA and their is always the chance of running into a deal on something previously owned here in CA.

For the first 10 years or so that I owned handguns I 'standardized' my personal calibers at .45 ACP and .22 LR. Eventually I branched out to include 9x19 because people I took to the range were intimidated by the .45 for some reason. What I found was that most who were intimidated by the .45 simply could not shoot ANYTHING very well including the .22 LR. Small women who didn't have a preconception/phobia shot the .45 better than large men managed to shoot the .22 LR. I picked up a 7.62x25 in the CZ-52 for the uniqueness of the action and for fun but while it is functional and I maintain ammo, it would not be among the first handguns I would reach for. After that I ran into a deal on a pair of .44 Mag revolvers I couldn't turn down. I should have tried harder to snag the P7 and a couple others that were in the same collection. I now also have .38 SP, .357 Mag, .22 WMR .380 ACP and .32 ACP (Someone almost gave me an old Savage).

I have never bought a firearm in .40 S&W or .357 Sig or .45 GAP or .400 Cor-Bon (I probably won't ever get the latter two.) I haven't acquired or converted anything to .45 Super although I find the last quite intriguing. The biggest reason I might have bought a .40, outside of running into someone selling one at a rather low price, would have been to convert a Para P16-40 to a 10mm and I never got around to either that or simply having a wide body 1911 custom built in the caliber.

Lucky for me I don't have to lock into any single handgun caliber.

That sure is out of left field.

I don’t recall anyone referring to any of this discussion as weird, nor did it drift. The progress in the discussion was part of answering OPs question.
    If you live in California, you did the right thing by buying .45. If you are restricted via magazine capacity, you go with the biggest caliber you can safely control and manage.

I do support standardization and owning .45 does not take away from that. In the U.S., .45 is a standard caliber.
    There is more U.S. domestic .45 caliber ammunition production than anywhere else in the world.

That said, for easy off the shelf availability, 95% of my pistol purchases are based on 9mm, which is the global standard.

There is no caliber debate here. The choice has to do with availability and what ammo manufacturers are producing.
    Ammunition made overseas is imported into the U.S. By having more competition, this helps to keep prices down so we can all shoot more.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rgraff13,

How long until you supposed get a chance to look at the new gun?
    Supposed to be here today by end of business.
    Last edited by Rgraff13; 05-18-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    CGuns1 likes this.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Steve Prefontaine

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kost View Post
    What role is your Tactical .45 used in? Home defense? Open carry? Range gun?
    For home defense/open carry I would not RMR the thing, if this is a range/competition gun, an RMR makes sense to a certain extent. I am not a fan of them tho
    Patrol and SWAT
    CGuns1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CGuns1 View Post
    I totally disagree with you and what you think of its future as well.
    I don't mind the disagreement regardless of whether you are a fan or more of a pragmatist. I am a pragmatist: 9mm ball is cheaper; defense loads are usually cheaper too; and 9mm is easier for government employees who only hit the range when their qualification shoots come up. Pragmatism also reminds me why the FBI went to 10mm and then 40 caliber in the first place. It can be as singular as another Miami shootout or it can be ten years' study of LE encounters and 9mm will fall under scrutiny again. It is not a future-proof universal cartridge. I shoot USP40 and USP45 more accurately and comfortably. Almost as if practice with a caliber makes perfect. So I'd be dumber than a canister full of empty shells to dump my forties and forty-fives as long as the ammo is affordable. When the next big ammo panic follows a big war or a Democrat White House or another COVID shutdown: 9mm can disappear from the shelves and I'll still have a pistol to shoot on a Saturday.

To the OP: The VP9 OR is available from dealers now. There isn't a VP9 OR Tactical that I have seen so if you insist on tactical then you can find 9mm threaded barrels in stock. You'll have to buy the plate adapter for your optic separately, so that's another 35 bucks or so on top of the more expensive version of the VP. I don't know if there is a tactical VP recoil rod available but if you run a suppressor that would also be an add-on price.

Edit: Sorry, the thread moved ahead of me in the time it took to post this. Looks like you ordered. Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by DaKillaB; 05-18-2020 at 08:45 PM.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrived yesterday afternoon...as advertised. Sights are definitely going to need replaced once I get the RDS on it.

Otherwise serviceable sights and shoots well. Happy with the purchase.
    CGuns1 likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Try the small backstrap if you have Large/XL hands. You only need a parallel pin punch to drift it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Getting a P30 Slide cut for an rmr is really costly, like $600 costly. I actually sold my P30L to buy a USP since they're so much easier to get cut for an rmr.

Replace my USP Tactical?-hk-usp.jpg

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I'll agree it's a weird sort of thread drift.

You know, if you are still buying .45 ACP then you aren't really supporting 'the standardization.'
    I support diversity in both firearms calibers and in models.
    I have no urge to give up the possibility of a USP to standardize on the P2000 or vice versa. Living in CA that's all the HK handgun options I get NIB but there are other HK handgun options in other states and other brand options both inside and outside of CA and their is always the chance of running into a deal on something previously owned here in CA.

For the first 10 years or so that I owned handguns I 'standardized' my personal calibers at .45 ACP and .22 LR. Eventually I branched out to include 9x19 because people I took to the range were intimidated by the .45 for some reason. What I found was that most who were intimidated by the .45 simply could not shoot ANYTHING very well including the .22 LR. Small women who didn't have a preconception/phobia shot the .45 better than large men managed to shoot the .22 LR. I picked up a 7.62x25 in the CZ-52 for the uniqueness of the action and for fun but while it is functional and I maintain ammo, it would not be among the first handguns I would reach for. After that I ran into a deal on a pair of .44 Mag revolvers I couldn't turn down. I should have tried harder to snag the P7 and a couple others that were in the same collection. I now also have .38 SP, .357 Mag, .22 WMR .380 ACP and .32 ACP (Someone almost gave me an old Savage).

I have never bought a firearm in .40 S&W or .357 Sig or .45 GAP or .400 Cor-Bon (I probably won't ever get the latter two.) I haven't acquired or converted anything to .45 Super although I find the last quite intriguing. The biggest reason I might have bought a .40, outside of running into someone selling one at a rather low price, would have been to convert a Para P16-40 to a 10mm and I never got around to either that or simply having a wide body 1911 custom built in the caliber.

Lucky for me I don't have to lock into any single handgun caliber.
    I would just like to thank ALL the people who don't own / will never purchase 40 S&W - those of us who LOVE the round can't thank you enough.

I only own three 9's - two SP5k's that are still NIB and an Expert - I have not fired any of them. Not sure if I'm keeping them or not. Might sell all three. OR NOT, just have not thought about it much.

I DO OWN loads of USP in 40 - full size, compact, tactical, Expert - and I'm looking at adding an MP5/40 - because hey, I love 40...

And right now I don't want a UMP in 45... I wonder if ANYONE has made the UMP in 40?

Again, to all of you who have passed on the 40 cal - thank you - that's the SALESMEN getting all those LEO department's to switch from 40 to 9 about ten(ish) years ago.

So much so that now, the 40 S&W rounds are now 'out of favor' - of the salesmen - ONE DAY there will be a renaissance of the 40 cal and these same salesmen will laud the excellent stats of the 40 - probably be another ten years - gotta remember 'life cycles' that large departments subscribe to.

As of right now, for premium ammo WINCHESTER RANGER BONDED HOLLOW POINTS you will see they are a little higher for the 9 mm over the 40 S&W. (.54 for 9 and .48 for 40) in the 500 round order. SGAMMO.COM is the place I order all my ammo for the past 20+ years.

9mm
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/9mm-l...er-ranger-ammo

https://www.sgammo.com/product/40-ca...ranger-governm
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I said I haven't bought one, never said I wouldn't buy one.
    Of course if I DID buy one I might very well get a conversion barrel or two for it in .357 Sig and 9mm.

I have however sold a few when I used to hang out at the gunshop enough that I got pulled behind the counter.
    Also put a few people together when one of the other shop guys bought one and didn't plan on keeping it.
    Getting one of my coworkers or someone else to pick it up saved me a lot of money as I didn't have to buy the gun, the extra mags, the reloading dies, an entirely new supply of ammo in yet another caliber.

CA now makes ordering ammo a pain in the posterior. SGAmmo has been good to deal with but I've never found a place that satisfies all my ammo wish list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post

Again, to all of you who have passed on the 40 cal - thank you - that's the SALESMEN getting all those LEO department's to switch from 40 to 9 about ten(ish) years ago.

So much so that now, the 40 S&W rounds are now 'out of favor' - of the salesmen - ONE DAY there will be a renaissance of the 40 cal and these same salesmen will laud the excellent stats of the 40 - probably be another ten years - gotta remember 'life cycles' that large departments subscribe to.

Sorry. This is not reality and this is wrong.
    1. The writing was on the wall in 2014 when SOCOM began large scale transition to 9mm handguns.
    2. DOJ and FBI have outsize influence due to FBI having a ballistics laboratory and the means of studying bullet technology and performance.
    3. When DOJ/FBI jumped onboard, you then saw major US Police Departments follow suit. This has large influence on smaller departments who utilize their data and receive assistance and recommendations from them on equipment and gear, etc...

It has nothing to do with ammo salesmen.
    Last edited by CGuns1; 05-20-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links