SBT5A Brace for SP5 Fits Really Tight
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBT5A Brace for SP5 Fits Really Tight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SBT5A Brace for SP5 Fits Really Tight

Hello to All,

Got my SP5 back in March, but I just got the SBT5A brace from SB Tactical about a week ago. I read that it's a really good brace for the SP5 and doesn't need any fitting by a gunsmith. I can get it to go on, but it fits really tight and it takes a non marring hammer to get it all the way through. Anybody have the same experience? Is it supposed to be this tight? Is it this tight so it won't wiggle or move while shooting? I'm a noobie on the forums so go easy on me. The Sp5 is an absolute joy to shoot and I can finally say I purchased my dream gun. Been wanting a MP5 since I was a kid and with this sb brace and the aperture sight I got for it I'm pretty close. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems that others are also experiencing a very tight fit with this brace.

Is the SB Tactical SBT5A01SB HK Brace SBT5A HK MP5 Aluminum Black 10.2" L x 1.25" W the same brace that you used? Is the "reverse stretch" the correct brace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes that is the brace I used.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Numerous threads on this, and it’s quite common for it to be a tight fit. Not sure it’s deliberate, or just a spec problem with the adapter for the brace, but it is very common for the takedown pin to require some hammering to remove, and many people have had to open up the pin holes in the brace adapter (don’t recommend opening the hole in the receiver). Hopefully it’s just the pin hole that’s tight on yours, and not the entire brace adapter squeezing the rear of the receiver. It some cases, people have reported that it squeezed the receiver enough to impact the rearward bolt travel and cause FTE problems.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the same one for my sp5. Mine had to use a mallet to get both pins through. Had to use a punch to push both out. Used dremel to open the holes on the brace forward about 1mm. I would not use it on my sp5. Now I can easily push in and out both pins. Imho, the sbt5a was made for the clones which has much loose tolerance. Also, I found out there is an issue w sbt5a on sp5. Please see link.
    https://youtu.be/shD1Q37e0W8
    My friend told me.
    Pencil does not misspell, people do.
    Gun does not kill people, people do.

Pistols
    HKP30s HKVP9

Rifles
    HK SL8/PSG8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I took the bottom right screw out of the buffer and cut a chunk out of the buffer and it slides on easy. I also filed and sanded the inside just so it slides on nicer and doesn’t wear my finish as bad on the receiver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Greetings Kaiser,

Congrats on your SP5 procurement! I also got mine back in March and loved it so much I purchased a slightly used SP5K last weekend, which I have great plans for. I digress, yes, I acquired the same brace and had to do some substantial fitment to get it to work. I had to cut away a small section of the lower right corner of the rubber buffer and I had to flaten the lower right rivet with Dremel tool in an effort to get mine to fit. I haven't sent a complaint to SB Tact. yet but you better believe I intend to. Also, before anyone excoriates me for my drastic measures, I assure all of you it was necessary. I may not have had to cut away the corner of the buffer but I had to remove a small layer of the rivet as it was just just thick enough to preclude me from getting the pin to even go in. Once I shaved a layer of the rivet off, it slide on all the way and the pin fit perfect.

Sounds like while you struggled with your fitment, you at least didn't have to damage yours to get it to work which will serve as the basis for my future complaint to SB.
    -BW-

Godbless this Republic

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in our bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." Ronaldus Magnus July 6th, 1987

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info guys and yes I was thinking about using a Dremel to open up the holes on the brace. I WOULD NEVER USE A DREMEL ON THE RECEIVER. Jesus, don't even say that lol. And Dwil I'm pretty sure it's not the entire brace adapter squeezing the receiver because when I shot it at the range it performed fine and everything else seems to fit nicely except the holes being tight. Good to know I'm not the only one who has this concern though.

Silentheart, when you say you dremeled the holes "forward" do you mean you opened them up going towards the front of the gun? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Willards View Post
    Greetings Kaiser,

Congrats on your SP5 procurement! I also got mine back in March and loved it so much I purchased a slightly used SP5K last weekend, which I have great plans for. I digress, yes, I acquired the same brace and had to do some substantial fitment to get it to work. I had to cut away a small section of the lower right corner of the rubber buffer and I had to flaten the lower right rivet with Dremel tool in an effort to get mine to fit. I haven't sent a complaint to SB Tact. yet but you better believe I intend to. Also, before anyone excoriates me for my drastic measures, I assure all of you it was necessary. I may not have had to cut away the corner of the buffer but I had to remove a small layer of the rivet as it was just just thick enough to preclude me from getting the pin to even go in. Once I shaved a layer of the rivet off, it slide on all the way and the pin fit perfect.

Sounds like while you struggled with your fitment, you at least didn't have to damage yours to get it to work which will serve as the basis for my future complaint to SB.
    Thank you and congrats on your procurement as well! Just got a VP9 2020 model that I get to pick up today. Promised my wife no more purchases til the end of the year, but I made sure that doesn't include accessories lol. My uncle shot my sp5 and now he's hooked and wants one for himself. Before he shot it he was talking smack about the price and regurgitating the haters' talking points. That all changed after he got to experience her first hand. Love it when that happens.

Back on topic: No damage to the gun or the brace so I'm happy. If either would of happened best believe I would of been complaining to SB as well. Since it's a tight fit though it has started to wear on the pin. Ordered some extra pins from HK Parts so I could have some extras laying around and to replace the stock ones if they get too worn down. I MIGHT try to dremel the holes to make them a bit bigger, but I'm going to have to build up the courage to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good morning sir,

I have similar issues as well with my SBT5A brace from SB Tactical. I have the same version brace model for my SP5k as well. The version for my SP5K fits flawlessly with no issues or adjustments needed, however, the SBT5A version for my SP5 is extremely tight. I'm not even able to fit it in. By the looks of mine, it's definitely going to require some gunsmithing in order to get the brace to fit. I left it alone, as I didn't want to damage my SP5, so instead I bought the SB Tactical hkpdw brace for my SP5.

If you decide to get the hkpdw brace, you will most likely need to remove the lower left screw (as you're looking into the internal brace housing) for it to properly seat and fit onto your SP5. I had to do that in order for mine to fit. Also, removing the lower left screw were specific instructions I received from SB Tactical when I contacted them regarding the issue. So far, my SP5 shoots and performs with no issue with the lower left screw removed on the hkpdw brace.

Hope this helps,

~Ninja out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links