EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spitfyr
  • 1 Post By Spitfyr

Thread: EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard

Adding in some pics and thoughts just in case anyone is interested in adding a Midwest Industries hand guard and A3 Tactical VG to your SBR'd SP5 / SP5 with sear. It should go without saying that adding a grip to an SP5 pistol is a big no-no unless you have a stamp. I have no affiliation with these companies - this is a public service announcement.

If you like slim/minimalist hand guards you'll love the MI hand guard. I have medium sized hands and it fits beautifully allowing me a full wrap around with ease. Installation is a breeze and there is zero movement, slide, wobble or anything...it's completely tight and inspires confidence that grip won't be an issue even without the A3 Tac VG. This is an excellent upgrade to SP5 owners who haven't/won't go through the SBR hassle and just want a slim, modern, vented hand guard that can accommodate a weapon light or angled foregrip. I also like that this hand guard does not require an adjustment screw on the front edge, which has the effect of applying torque between the front sight assembly and the receiver. This guy locks down side-to-side, rather than front-to-back.

I have a variety of vertical grips on my host guns, but my all-time favorite grip is the old stock MP5K grip, which fits me perfectly. I wanted to replicate that old-school feel on this gun, while also visually upgrading it, so I was happy when I found A3 Tactical grip. I had a choice of aluminum or polymer and selected polymer. I was a bit surprised to find the grip came in two pieces that had to be assembled and was thinking the pieces might not align perfectly once assembled, creating some sharp edges. WRONG. .

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3857.jpg

This thing went together like it was handcrafted with love. The M-LOK attachment points are rock solid, the grip attaches to the mount with a 1/2 inch nut, which also inspires trust that it won't break or come loose during firing.

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3860.jpg

I chose to install the grip to the front edge of the hand guard, but may move it back after shooting it a bit. I am pleased at how well the grip mount mates to the hand guard at the leading edge - nice and smooth.

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3861.jpg

For reference here is the MP5K grip:

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3864.jpg

The A3 grip might be a tiny bit thicker where it attaches to the mount, but it's barely perceptible. The A3 grip is smoother than the K grip, but not slippery and I have confidence it will perform great shooting FA, which is pretty much the only way I shoot.

A shot from the front, which differs from the K grip, but not negatively in my opinion:

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3862.jpg

The hand guard set me back $120. The grip was $80. For $200 I'm very happy with the results and recommend these products. I'll post back if I see anything negative at the range or after extended use.

Original Post:
    I've got a MI M-LOK handguard inbound from here: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-p/mi-mp5m.htm

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-mi-forearm.png

I really like the feel of the stock MP5K vert grip and want to replicate that to this MP5. This M-LOK grip seems to be ideal: https://a3-tactical-inc.myshopify.co...13974735290429

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-grip.png

Curious if you are running this config if the handguard remains securely in place without slipping during shooting. It's not unusual for me to let others shoot my guns, particularly in full auto and for safety's sake I can't have a grip coming loose. One of the commenters was concerned, but he didn't have any evidence of the grip working loose.

Appreciate any insight
    Last edited by Spitfyr; 05-27-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: More info on grip and handguard
    wkw2288 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfyr View Post
    Curious if you are running this config if the handguard remains securely in place without slipping during shooting. It's not unusual for me to let others shoot my guns, particularly in full auto and for safety's sake I can't have a grip coming loose. One of the commenters was concerned, but he didn't have any evidence of the grip working loose.
    The handguard slip, or the grip slip? Dunno anything on the handguard, not sure how it attaches, but for the grip, if installed properly with thread locker or nylon thread patches, one would think that the M-LOK would be fine. An alternative is to utilize the Magpul MVG in conjunction with the Magpul M-LOK handstop kit.

I will note that you posted this to the Handgun sub-forum, so if this in fact going on an SP5 in pistol configuration, adding a VFG to your "pistol" will render it into an AOW, which requires an NFA tax stamp. Though your statements on full-auto suggest you just put this thread in the wrong sub-forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the catches. Concerned about the vertical grip slipping on the hand guard. I thought about putting this in the NFA section but I’m not inquiring about anything NFA related, just want input on this config, and mostly the grip. I run this gun with a transferable sear, so no concerns about AoW. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Received the MI M-LOK handguard and I AM IMPRESSED. The fit is outstanding and there is zero movement on my German gun. Still waiting on the A3 Tactical grip and will report back once that is received and installed on my gun with transferable sear. I have a handguard with rails on another MP5 and will be replacing that thing with another one of these. Very slim, very comfortable, vented, excellent.

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3837.jpg

EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-img_3838.jpg

G2G!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump with pics and more info above on the grip / hand guard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have the Dakota Tactical handguard and A3 Tactical vertical grip on my MP5K-N and have enjoyed the combo. No issues with either coming loose. A3 Tactical offers different options for the type/length of the vertical grip. EDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-20181117_104100.jpgEDIT with Photos: Review of A3 Tactical Vert Grip on MI M-LOK MP5 Handguard-20181117_110954.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wkw2288 View Post
    I have the Dakota Tactical handguard and A3 Tactical vertical grip on my MP5K-N and have enjoyed the combo. No issues with either coming loose. A3 Tactical offers different options for the type/length of the vertical grip. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_104100.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	261328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181117_110954.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	261330
    Joe at DT makes great products
    wkw2288 likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Thanks for the review!!!

Tony