• 2 Post By ToyCop
  • 2 Post By FlagDayJoe
  • 1 Post By AutoLode

Thread: Brand New HK45 First Range Trip Issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brand New HK45 First Range Trip Issue

Hello All,

I'm new here; this is my first post. I used to own a USP 45 years ago and LOVED it, but was forced to sell for financial reasons. I just bought a brand new HK45 V1. I took it to the range for the first time ever shooting it yesterday, and had an issue. Here is the rundown:

I fired a full magazine of Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ. Gun ran flawlessly.
    I fired a full magazine of Federal Premium 230gr +P HST hollowpoints. Gun ran flawlessly.
    My son fired a full magazine of Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ. Slide failed to lock open after the last shot.
    My son fired a second full magazine of the Speer ammo. Again the slide failed to lock open on the last shot.
    I fired a full magazine of the Speer ammo. Gun ran flawlessly.
    From here on out, my son and I took turns firing the gun with only two rounds in the magazine, to get in as many "last shot trials" as we could with our remaining ammo supply. The gun ran flawlessly. The slide locked open on the last shot every time. To summarize, the slide failed to lock open on the last shot of the two full magazines of Speer ammo that my son shot. We were not able to get the gun to malfunction after many attempts there after. Could my son have been inadvertently hitting the slide release by using an improper grip? I asked him to show me how he grips the gun for firing, and his grip looked normal to me. Anyone have any ideas what might have happened? I forgot to state that the two times this failure occurred, a different magazine was used each time. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am 90% sure based on what you describe. Your son is riding the slide lock. It’s a fairly big lever and some folks ride them easily.

Me personally SIG P239......I ride that slide lock like a Harley. Only SIG I do this with.

Point is that is absolutely my educated guess.
    CGuns1, PorterM, AutoLode and 2 others like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Also keep in mind grip may look fine statically but under recoil may be acting differently.
    CGuns1, PorterM and AutoLode like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I agree with above.
    PorterM and AutoLode like this.

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I would guess as your son fires his grips starts changing/loosening and he hits the slide lock. I still do it on occasion during qualifications with my Sig, but it never happens when doing drills that aren't a standard qual course (I bore easily during quals). It makes for good malfunction drills, just like having someone randomly loading dummy rounds in your mags.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cslinger View Post
    I am 90% sure based on what you describe. Your son is riding the slide lock. It’s a fairly big lever and some folks ride them easily.

Me personally SIG P239......I ride that slide lock like a Harley. Only SIG I do this with.

Point is that is absolutely my educated guess.
    I agree with this too. I had same issue with my grey frame USP 45 several months back. I was changing grips experimenting and noticed this on two full magazines this was happening, but not to my friend. I was riding the slide lock :-( Fixed that and never had an issue again.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have your son wrap the thumb if his dominant hand, the one he’s gripping the pistol with, on the outside of his support hand. The heel of his support hand should be pressed against the grip opposing his dominant hand.

Like several have mentioned, I also do this with the VP9. Having carried a 1911 for years and shot tens if thousands or rounds, I have a high thumbs forward hold. It did happen on one training course where I had to qualify with a SIG, for an assignment I had coming up. We called it a training scar.

Even a slight amount of pressure, a light touch, may be enough to prevent the slide lock lever from raising up into the lock position.

For me, I had to retrain myself in how to hold the HK45 and VP9 series.
    Flag Day Joe
    The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have seen many people with new smaller guns like the Sig P365 having this issue and they are sure it's something wrong with the gun but in every case when they slow down the video they see where the grip is making contact with the slide stop ever so slightly is all it takes and even if you start with a grip thats clear you can get tired after a fast full mag dump and your grip may not be as accurate as when you started
    PorterM likes this.
    The Song Remains the Same

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Probably the grip causing the malfunction by contacting one of the controls or the slide itself which can also cause issues. Never is it acceptable to rest thumbs or fingers on any control/s of a firearm, it will/can cause issues.

Get a grip on your grip before it bites your backside lol
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sponsored Links