USP 9 slide not locking consistently
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: USP 9 slide not locking consistently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP 9 slide not locking consistently

I recently acquired a used USP in 9mm the other day, and I love everything about it, but it's quite old and when I bought it it was listed as having slide hold open issues. The date code on it is KF, and I have no idea what the round count is but the barrel is still in good condition. My issue is that it only consistently locks the slide open with one of the new mags I've purchased. I figured that the slide lock issues were caused by the older magazine, but as I said, it only consistently locks open with one out of the two new mags I bought. When I insert the other new magazine, and the old one, the slide release lever slides off the follower and pops out away from the gun, so when I go to stick in the more reliable magazine, it fails to hold open then as well. I figure that slide release may be a contributing factor because if I pop the reliable mag in with a bit of force, the arm that makes contact with the mag follower slides off the follower and to the side.

Now, I'm definitely going to order some magazine springs and maybe a new follower for the old mag, but I'm also worried that I may have to buy a new slide release lever as well. Buying it isn't the issue, but I don't want to have make separate orders if it's the problem, and I definitely don't want to buy a part I don't end up needing. I was wondering if perhaps anyone could share their insight on this matter before I go ahead and order a whole new kit and caboodle. I'd link pictures but I'm a new member and this is my first post.

EDIT: And yes, I've made sure that I'm not riding the slide release lever with my thumb. I'm also noticing that on the trouble mags, the slide release barely makes contact with the follower, and I'm wondering if the "arm" is worn and should have a bit more length to it.
    Last edited by TakisTactical; 06-26-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I’d suggest try locking your wrist and squeeze tight with both hands when pulling the trigger before making additional investments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This problem is reproduced just pulling the slide back, but thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TakisTactical View Post
    it's quite old... listed as having slide hold open issues... consistently locks open with one out of the two new mags... if I pop the reliable mag in with a bit of force, the arm that makes contact with the mag follower slides off the follower and to the side.
    I don't want to have make separate orders... I definitely don't want to buy a part I don't end up needing.
    You can start with the slide release spring, but if you need the lever then you'll pay 2x the shipping so buy the lever/spring 'kit' once.
    Definitely first the spring, Google to compare pics vs. your lever but that's a moot point. If this is an SD gun then the lever/spring variable is eliminated (aside from the mag follower/spring), and cost is irrelevant considering.
    HK Glaeubiger and HelioUSP like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Magazine issue

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with kcmh. Sounds like the magazine springs and followers are worn. I've never heard of a slide release wearing out. They are pretty well made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, it's a bit disappointing that a new mag is having the same issues as an old mag. In any case I've ordered mag springs and a new follower for the old mag to see if that does the trick. With the current ammo shortage and the 100+ degree weather I'm having, I have plenty of time to try and get this solved. I'll post the results when I get the springs and follower. Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, got the new springs from Wolff. Didn't fix a thing, great! But at least my new mags are *newer*. Any suggestions? I'm also going to repeat myself, the slide release lever slightly pops out when it fails to lock open. Could someone grab their USP and see if that should even happen at all. I know this is part of the issue, as when I hold pressure on the slide release, towards the gun, while checking if the mag will hold open, it will catch properly and lock the slide back. Money isn't the issue, it's buying parts that I won't necessarily need and then just have floating around because I can't return them.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Alright, got the new springs from Wolff. Didn't fix a thing, great! But at least my new mags are *newer*. Any suggestions? I'm also going to repeat myself, the slide release lever slightly pops out when it fails to lock open. Could someone grab their USP and see if that should even happen at all. I know this is part of the issue, as when I hold pressure on the slide release, towards the gun, while checking if the mag will hold open, it will catch properly and lock the slide back. Money isn't the issue, it's buying parts that I won't necessarily need and then just have floating around because I can't return them.
    Did you take @GasGuzz ‘s suggestion in post #4 and check that the slide release spring in the frame is present, not broken or damaged and functioning properly?
    ToyCop likes this.
    ”What do you want to discuss now, my favorite color?”–Col. Nathan R. Jessup

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Money isn't the issue, it's buying parts that I won't necessarily need and then just have floating around because I can't return them.
    Then there's no problem, no pain no gain - with the intent to get it fixed.
    You just re-eliminated the mag spring you already quantified in your OP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links