• 1 Post By AGG
  • 2 Post By THRLSEKR

Thread: Mark 23 questions: Recoil spring, and red dot cut

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Mark 23 questions: Recoil spring, and red dot cut

I have two Mark 23 questions, both pretty ignorant sadly:

Until now I'd never examined really how the HK recoil reduction system worked. However, due to occasionally shooting high powered ammo that ejects ridiculously forcefully (460 Rowland loadings in trimmed 460 Rowland cases, or soon, Starline 45 Super which they tell me is identical strength) I was wanting to look into setting up a spare recoil rod and spring assembly to swap out for when doing that.

Apparently, no stronger spring designated as being for the Mark 23 is commercially available.

I wanted to see if on normal movement of the slide, the longer spring is anywhere near to coil binding, and if it wasn't, to see if I could install a spacer, which would stiffen up travel throughout the length.

So I measure the slide travel, then out of the pistol tried compressing the spring. What I found was the longer spring compresses as expected, but the shorter one cannot, by hand, be gotten to compress at all.

Reinstalling it and working the slide, I found the slide moves exactly as expected for a single spring, and then apparently comes to a hard stop. There is no apparent second stage.

The question is, is the second stage providing only some very short allowed further movement, say one or two hundredths of an inch, which one doesn't perceive? Rather as when there's a plastic buffer, one doesn't work the slide and feel "Now I've hit the buffer, and now here's the extra motion as the buffer compresses."

If it's not that, then the HK engineering has me completely baffled.

?

And any suggestions on anyone who might make a custom spring at reasonable cost, or a source of spring wire to self-make (perhaps), or an existing spring that could suit? I found it impossible to search Wolff springs by dimensions.

Secondly, while somewhat averse into cutting into a Maritime finish slide, albeit of a shooter, any recommendations for who to do a cut for an SRO?

L&M seems a top choice except for the webpage saying being way, way overworked and this item not being available to order. Are there other recommended options?

Thank you!
    Last edited by trenace; 07-02-2020 at 03:10 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Wow! All I can say is “If its not broke, dont fix it”! That gun is an engineering marvel, tread carefully.
    Just my .02 cents and not really worth anything!
    M.
    THRLSEKR likes this.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty, When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    Thomas Jefferson

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you!

Opinions here were that the Mark 23 was strong enough for 460 Rowland when using suitable muzzle brake, and that certainly appears to be the case, no sign of not. I don't fire much of it, but when I do, I enjoy it.

At the time of doing that, had two Mark 23's, one being a safe queen and the other a shooter, and of course the shooter was chosen for this.

Swapping in a stiffer recoil spring for such use, one resulting in the brass being thrown only a normal distance, would be more conservative on the gun rather than adding risk of damage, it seems to me.

On an red dot cut, that's exactly why I'm asking. There are right and wrong ways and they very much depend on specifics of the engineering. If it's not suited to it, I'm 100% amenable to learning that and tossing the idea right out.
    Last edited by trenace; 06-30-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    Guyanaman1963 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trenace View Post
    Thank you!

Opinions here were that the Mark 23 was strong enough for 460 Rowland when using suitable muzzle brake, and that certainly appears to be the case, no sign of not. I don't fire much of it, but when I do, I enjoy it.

At the time of doing that, had two Mark 23's, one being a safe queen and the other a shooter, and of course the shooter was chosen for this.

Swapping in a stiffer recoil spring for such use, one resulting in the brass being thrown only a normal distance, would be more conservative on the gun rather than adding risk of damage, it seems to me.

On an red dot cut, that's exactly why I'm asking. There are right and wrong ways and they very much depend on specifics of the engineering. If it's not suited to it, I'm 100% amenable to learning that and tossing the idea right out.
    Well said!
    I saw another thread with the RMR installed and I have to saw it looked freaking awesome! I am anxious to see what you come with and the end product.
    Good luck and post plenty of pics!!!!
    M.
    trenace likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

I believe that you are fine with occasional, more powerful ammunition--- just do not make a habit of it!!!

Tony
    trenace likes this.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

i haven't chimed in for a while, but ask @KLAUSTRAPHOBIA . THAT....madman is one of only a few I know whom in-TENTION-ally shot .45 SUPER through his beast (and broke a perfectly good prototype I might add......)
    Guyanaman1963 and trenace like this.

Sponsored Links