HKPRO Forums banner

Talk me out of it

4K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  TLOU_Joel 
#1 ·
New to gun ownership. Researching during covid and haven't had a chance to fire a bunch yet, which I will of course, when the range isn't a 2hr wait. But in the mean time narrowing down the field I end up thinking I might end up going with a P30LS and a VP9. I know I prefer the tupperware look and feel from trying other pistols but haven't actually held one of these yet. I like 1911's action and trigger of the two I've tried, just not the look and feel, which is where I think the P30LS will come in nicely. If I do go that route I will most definitely get the GG reset trigger. On the VP9 side seems like everybody loves it and I'd like to have a striker as well. Looked at the Walther M1 and they seem comparable but with the added cost of fixing the mags, 10rd max here, and the VP9 being able to share with the P30 it just seems like a no brainer. Thoughts?? Anyone else have both and keep em, see lots of stories of people giving up the P30 for the VP9.

Soooooo wish I was around for the VP9 Bronze buy, such a sweet looking piece!!

#8 ·
What makes you say 6mo? I assume by 400 over you mean this stupid auctions I keep seeing, no way people are actually paying that right...

Put in my application for handgun permit on 7/1 and found a P30LS online for $650 2 days later, being new to the process I sent them a message asking if I could buy and have them hold it until permit cleared, they declined. Little did I know I could have worked something out with a local FFL grrrrrr

You looking at V3 or LEM. I'm still a little confused on the LEM trigger, there are so many videos of triggers that have had work done I'm not sure how stock operates.

#10 ·
You can cerakote a slide any color you want. That's all that was. I had my most trusted shop decline to cerakote HKs though, because they claim the tolerances are tight enough to make them a real pita to reassemble after paint.

#11 ·
If you liked the 1911 trigger, the P30 series may be tough for you, especially being new to shooting. Plus, being new, the Grey's trigger would not be "appreciated" IMHO. I'd go VP9 if I were you.

I'm not a striker fired guy, but I'm an instructor and most all of my students do best with a striker to start.

Footnote: I love the P30L. I have two of them and they're my EDC and IDPA pistol. Stock trigger too.

#12 ·
hey and welcome

I have both vp9 and P30LS v3. Good choices. just a couple of comments
1. I see you mentioned you are considering LEM as well. You can't get that one with a safety nowadays (a while back yes, so like the bronze slide you are too late :) So, if a safety is important, you'll have to go V3. LEM is cool too though...
2. Best explanation of LEM, IMHO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KV...dsBsDkzIHcmVsYXRlZEj478qwqrnNgp0B&app=desktop
3. I do believe the gray frames have went the way of the bronze slides. Not to rub it it in, but I have two gray frames. they are bad a$$ :)
4. As a new to gun ownership, just heads up that modifying the trigger does void the HK lifetime warranty. Also, depending on what the purpose of the gun is you might want to familiarize yourself with the potential legal consequences of modifying the trigger. Here's a good vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeLgzT-9N54 I'm not saying don't do it, I've done it myself - just saying know the ramifications.

Best,
SCPK

#24 ·
hey and welcome

2. Best explanation of LEM, IMHO
3. I do believe the gray frames have went the way of the bronze slides. Not to rub it it in, but I have two gray frames. they are bad a$$ :)

SCPK
So I saw that video but does the stock LEM trigger run like that or is that specific action only because he had the modification done. I thought I've seen other videos where the action is more like just double action.

Yea man those gray versions are so sweet, complete envy here since I'm pretty sure those are definitely gone. Still holding out hope for a bronze slide...

#29 ·
How about a standard P30 rguns has grey frame models in stock for 550.
Snooze/lose, that’s post Hillary POTUS-Loser pricing. My std 2018 P30/V3 was $535.
Std length + safety, but it’s real HK and not aftermarket spray paint (note this won’t carry an HK-USA warranty). $600+ VP9 not me (these were $449 commonplace), unless life/death I’d roll the dice after Nov-3.

#17 ·
If you're new to guns and shooting, don't be too worried about buying a second gun to start. You've already made a great choice by starting with HK. Focus on the essentials first.

My two cents:
- Buy a stock VP9 as soon as possible. I have both and prefer the P30LS with a LWG trigger job, but honestly the VP9 makes way more sense as a first gun, and is better 'stock'.
- Buy a good kydex holster - there are lots of quality options (expect to pay between $50 and $100) - and I'd order soon because it will take several weeks based on the company's individual lead time. Striker fired guns need to be married to a holster - for lots of practical / safety / range training reasons - even if you're not carrying it.
- Buy as much ammo as you can possibly get your hands on at the lowest price available (not an easy task right now, unfortunately). It's always best to have at least a few thousand rounds on hand. Make sure you only buy brass-cased FMJ per the instruction manual, preferably above 115 gr.
- Make sure you have high quality instruction in shooting from someone who is very safe, very competent, and good at being fast and accurate. That can be a paid instructor, a friend, or just yourself if you're committed to educating yourself online.
- Shoot a lot - at least a few hundred rounds a month - and you'll find that your skills and competence will increase.

I speak from experience when I say in the gun world you can very easily be sucked into the "gear" vortex - only to look around and see you've spent all your money on gun stuff but don't actually go shooting nearly as much as you would like.

#19 · (Edited)
I have both, the P30LS V3 stock trigger, and the VP9 LE version. I favor hammer fired pistols and the P30LS with it's DA/SA trigger, having grown up on DA/SA revolvers. I can't recommend it for a new shooter unless you are willing to put in the time to learn the trigger. I rarely shoot the VP9 anymore (my SO has taken it over) but right out of the box it was a dream to shoot. You can't go wrong with either, just be prepared to put some work into V3 if that's the way you go. Both guns are incredibly accurate. And yes, both guns use the same mags, and that's really nice.

#20 ·
Welcome to the HkPro Forum DJ1116

P30L or VP9
There's a shop near me with a VP9SK for $600
Haven't seen a P30 on any gun shop shelves in a while now
Keep you're eyes pealed & maybe you can find a USP, USPc, or P2000

You know the answer is BUY BOTH!!

That was the answer I was given when I joined..
I bought only one.. Only because I couldn't afford both..

#28 ·
Definitely get both, it at all possible. Like others have said, the P30 is harder to come by, and it would be nice to have on hand. As a novice shooter, I will just reiterate what others have said, go with the VP9 if you can only get one. The DA/SA on a P30 is tricky, to put it nicely, for someone who has never shot before. The VP9 will ruin you for other striker fired guns though. Aside from the Walther PPQ, I have yet to come across a stock striker fired trigger that is any better.

#31 ·
I guess I'm the odd man out. I am just not impressed by the VP9. I had one when they first came out and sold it. I got one of the bronze ones in the group buy last year and flipped it soon after. The trigger is not all that, certainly not better than my 320, 365, or my 2 Shadow Systems with dingus triggers. It also doesn't shoot near as flat as the Shadow Systems guns. I'll stick with my V1 USPcs all day over the VP9.

#32 · (Edited)
VP9 like others have posted is one of the best and most accurate “out of the box” firearms I’ve ever had and I’ve had many. One the best stock triggers EVER in my opinion. I own 3 VP9’s (2 LE’s and 1 long slide) and also own 2 P30L’s. Stock trigger on a p30 is mediocre at best, a great gun and one you will likely come to love, but as a “new” shooter and firearm owner, my guess is the VP9 will be easier to shoot consistently “out of the box” and let you focus on fundamental and consistent grip, stance and aim. Try before you buy, if that option is available to you and get what feels and works best for you. Different strokes for different folks, chocolate and vanilla, you know... good luck!

#35 ·
Both formats (striker and hammer) need to be “married” to their holster design properly. It’s the fact on hammer fired weapons when re-holstering you can “thumb over” the hammer while inserting and feel possible movement if something would oddly happen to get inside the holster and start manipulating the trigger. It’s a safety thing. I personally prefer hammer fired guns for EDC/CCW just for this reason. Other reasons too actually but being able to put that thumb on the hammer to make sure it’s not moving when re-holstering is a big one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.