Hammer-Fire 9mm Range Gun Choice?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hammer-Fire 9mm Range Gun Choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hammer-Fire 9mm Range Gun Choice?

A few years ago, I went overboard collecting pistols. Among my favorites were a variety of HK models. When I lost interest in firearms, all of them were sold.

Fast forward to today, I find myself interested again (talk about lousy timing!). If nothing else, I learned what I like and don’t like in the pistol world. I’m putting together a “want list” (much shorter than the number I had a few years back). Here’s where I need help.

I’m looking for HK pistols in 9mm hammer-fired configuration, but I don’t want sub-compact models. I’m looking for compact to full-size examples whose primary use will be for shooting static paper targets at distances up to 25 yards (“range guns” for lack of a better description).

My choices are P2000, USP, and P30 as far as I can tell. On paper, the P30L seems like it would be the most “fun.” I’m not sure I’ll ever get into competition with 9mm pistols, and then I doubt it would be with HK. <mod: no versus>

And in case it matters, I’m not planning to put an HK on my CCW license (even though I have “space” for one). For the way I carry (SmartCarry holster below the belt line) HKs are too fat!

So my question is simply: which hammer-fired 9mm HK do you think makes the best range gun? Bonus points if you can tell me why! Thanks.
    Last edited by straightgrain; 08-01-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You really can’t go wrong with any HK in 9mm. USP is my choice.

Did you end up getting the Mark 23? The range at ASP Vacaville, good times.
    anavrin0901 and dc4int01 like this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

USP in 9mm then it is ! So what is this about your CA CCW card having "space"? WTF? Never heard of that. We have Permits to Carry. Doesn't mean that I only get to chose the 5 of 20? I had heard in at least one state that they limit the number of handguns you can carry on your person to (1) one !
    "Be a Believer!"

SP5K on the way!
    USP 40 V3 AA (LE trade-in)
    HK45C (Made in new Columbus, Georgia Fabrik) - Carry
    P30S - Carry
    VP9 - Carry
    VP9 Green (daughter claimed it)
    VP9 Tactical LE
    Benelli M1 Super 90

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_alpha01 View Post
    You really can’t go wrong with any HK in 9mm. USP is my choice.

Did you end up getting the Mark 23? The range at ASP Vacaville, good times.
    Agree with this...the USP (even the Compacts) are excellent shooters and for hammer fire I haven't ever shot anything better than the HULK of the HK lineup...the Mark 23 (it is a .45 though but it's a treasure)! Don't dismiss the VP9 either in 9 as I did for years...it can make a believer out of you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

P2K all day long...

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

USP!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

P2000 first choice
    USP is 2nd
    P30 has a shitty trigger reset if you are in the habit of holding it, purposely feeling the reset and them firing again. Lots of grit and a false tactile click .

.02c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    anavrin0901 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_alpha01 View Post
    ...Did you end up getting the Mark 23? The range at ASP Vacaville, good times.
    Not yet, but thanks to you I have the "physical evidence" that the Mark 23 provides the most incredible shooting experience I have ever had! The P7 was a treat too, but not on my list this time around. ASP relocated to a retail space without a range, which really bums me out. Now I'm considering shooting on my county property. The "other stuff" range in Vacaville is unpleasant, and I don't want to drive to Sacramento just to shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by HK Glaeubiger View Post
    ...So what is this about your CA CCW card having "space"? WTF? Never heard of that. We have Permits to Carry. Doesn't mean that I only get to chose the 5 of 20? I had heard in at least one state that they limit the number of handguns you can carry on your person to (1) one !
    Not sure about carrying more than one at a time, but the permit allows up to three firearms. I have two that are suitable for carry. I'm sure I'll add a third when I get another "concealable" sized pistol. Might even try a USP Compact...

Quote Originally Posted by anavrin0901 View Post
    ...Don't dismiss the VP9 either in 9 as I did for years...it can make a believer out of you.
    I had the VP9. It is my second favorite striker-fired weapon in the polymer compact field, and only by a very small fraction. My experience with the VP9 was great (love those ears on the slide), and I would probably lean to the HK just because, HK. Apologies for mentioning another firearm in my opening post, and thanks @straightgrain for the heads up.

Aside from the VP9, the only 9mm HKs I owned back in the day were the P2000SK and P30SK. This time around, I'm skipping the sub-kompact pistols. As for the caliber, I mention only 9mm because I'm not familiar with the P2000/P30/USP compact/full size platforms in that caliber. The .45 ACP line up from HK is actually the reason I'm looking for multiples of one brand. The Mark 23 I borrowed was the greatest firearm I have ever shot. The HK45 was the most fun (of my personally owned guns) because it had the light LEM trigger. The USP Expert I owned was the most ridiculously accurate HK I ever shot. I want all three of those again, and might even consider the HK45 or USP in Compact as well.

It's going to be an expensive birthday!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Another vote for p2000 esp. in LEM V2. This pistol is the can do ALL. Perfect size for-everything. Jack of all trades.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

USPC all day long...

I LOVE 40, so that is what I carry - USPC 40 and have since I transitioned back to HK's about five/six years ago.

Used to carry Glock 22 and Glock 23, which are similar in size to the USP full size and the USP Compact.

I just don't like the striker fire that is Glock. They work. All day long. But I sold them and have gone back to USP's.

Can't go wrong with the USP, in full size OR compact.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links