Why the trigger freakout - learn the gun! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why the trigger freakout - learn the gun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dehughes View Post
    For me, it was the fact the trigger had to be pulled almost to the back of the trigger guard before it released the hammer. The P30/P30L enlightened me to the fact I just don't like that trait, and as a consequence I took to the VP9 much more so than the P30/P30L. Granted, I WANTED to shoot the P30 series better than the VP9, but I just don't. Hence the P30 and P30L were sold to fund a VP9 and some other stuff, one of which was a Beretta PX4 which works better for my hands than either a P229 or a SP2022, which were my fave DA/SA pistols before.
    Yea so I totally wanted to go shoot this thing before buying but none of the local ranges had one to rent. I did get to shoot the VP9, liked the way it felt in the hand, and was all ready to pick one up but the P30L popped up out of the blue and something told me to snag it, they are super hard to come by, especially 10rd with the night sights. I'm hoping I'll fall in line with the others that are good with the trigger but this "trigger to the back of the guard" may be the one thing that annoys me, we'll see. Does seem like the gray guns straight trigger is a decent fix if its a problem though.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All I can say is, four days of training with Larry Mudgett (and a lot of ball and dummy drills) killed whatever trigger punch I had developed over the years. I can go back and forth from VP9 striker to 1911 or P226 SA to my P30 DA/SA with similar times and splits and accuracy is the best it has ever been for me. Proper training is incredibly valuable, and really underscores the point that the trigger matters a lot less if you have good technique. The value of a good trainer/coach is immeasurable.
    WolfieRules and BajaJames like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    That's all well and good in theory... but not practical. For most of us, that's what enrollment courses are supposed to be; most don't have the means to have a shooting coach at each session much like not everyone has the luxury of a strength coach or a personal trainer. The most viable way most of us get by is to learn what "right" looks like and the process through an expert and along with guidance can video/diagnose themselves. Train/master that and then return at reasonable intervals to the instructors for minor adjustment and/or new skills.

Grind (properly) on your own
    Test in competition
    Re-orient via instruction

Wash, rinse, repeat
    In other words, you recommend a slightly different approach but you have a planned approach.

What I wanted to point out are the vast majority of shooters that I see at my commercial indoor range in a Dallas suburb, where the vast majority of people come with two or three boxes of centerfire pistol ammo and blast away at a B-27 at five to seven yards, often with dismal results and little improvement. Unfortunately most have not learnt the very basics of pistolcraft - and it shows. Learning those basics will not only be more rewarding when the target gets hit better and with faster follow up but will also save on ammo cost to achieve the result.
    _JD_ and WolfieRules like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hkbrian View Post
    I really don't get the freak show on the P30 trigger. OTB some are pretty good. All are very useable and shootable. Learn DA/SA. Put in a little time and practice. Dry fire. Then shoot it a bunch. If you 'need to' - learn to detail strip , polish and put in a SR Kit and Chromed Sear spring. It is EASY. I even learned to deal with the safety.

No 'need' for LEM. No need to freakout on 'bad HK triggers.'

Recently I found my P30S as easy to shoot as my CZ P01 and P07. That is saying a bunch, as these are tricked out with all kinds of upgrades and CZs are naturally fast and accurate for me. But the HK will run for 100,000 rounds. I'm generally a CZ fan boy, but the P30 has really grown on me.

These are great guns and not expensive if you hunt.
    You can learn the gun and still admit that it's not perfect, and that trigger work can do it justice. I don't know what you're going on about. You seem spirited. Having a good day?
    _JD_ likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some people will just complain to complain 99% of guns just need to be shot no "work" needs to be done or parts changed. Good Shooting techniques and practice is what will make ANYONE a good shot not Gucci parts...
    Seen some national champs shoot off the shelf guns and many of them say the best thing for a new gun is to be shot...
    WolfieRules likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BajaJames View Post
    Seen some national champs shoot off the shelf guns and many of them say the best thing for a new gun is to be shot...
    True but when major comes along, a champion's living is on the line against other champions and would-be/soon-to-be champions, they aren't reaching for that "stock" pistol.

There's a fine line to be walked in regards to increased performance capacity via hardware. It IS indeed a thing, but often seen as a shortcut or substitute for skill. It's tough to increase performance without knowing how to perform.

Life's an "open" class; no points awarded for being able to master a crappy trigger or suffer a mediocre design.
    Hasbeen and Lindley like this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BajaJames View Post
    Some people will just complain to complain 99% of guns just need to be shot no "work" needs to be done or parts changed. Good Shooting techniques and practice is what will make ANYONE a good shot not Gucci parts...
    sure, but once you understand the fundamentals, gucci parts will give you an edge every time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mannymedico View Post
    sure, but once you understand the fundamentals, gucci parts will give you an edge every time.
    And you learn more about the gun.

JJT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My 45's are on their way to Gray next week!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJT View Post
    My 45's are on their way to Gray next week!
    My 45ct has been a week in queue for the grayguns reset package, so I'm hoping that it's not too far off

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links