Why the trigger freakout - learn the gun!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why the trigger freakout - learn the gun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Why the trigger freakout - learn the gun!

I really don't get the freak show on the P30 trigger. OTB some are pretty good. All are very useable and shootable. Learn DA/SA. Put in a little time and practice. Dry fire. Then shoot it a bunch. If you 'need to' - learn to detail strip , polish and put in a SR Kit and Chromed Sear spring. It is EASY. I even learned to deal with the safety.

No 'need' for LEM. No need to freakout on 'bad HK triggers.'

Recently I found my P30S as easy to shoot as my CZ P01 and P07. That is saying a bunch, as these are tricked out with all kinds of upgrades and CZs are naturally fast and accurate for me. But the HK will run for 100,000 rounds. I'm generally a CZ fan boy, but the P30 has really grown on me.

These are great guns and not expensive if you hunt.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, they aren't bad, but when a P30 still retailed for north of $800 it wasn't a trigger that should have been in that price tier.

LEM is a different tool and a less complex manual of arms

Which is better is a matter of preference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

"A man can get used to anything...even a hangin'"

Most people who opine about triggers on the internet can't exploit what trained individuals would call a "good" trigger. Look at how many people over-emphasize trigger reset in pistols. Or how many people think they can get that 1911 break from a mechanically different design.

Took it upon myself to re-learn DA triggers and it didn't take long. One thing I noticed is that it wasn't as much about the "weight" of the pull as it was about the smoothness/consistency of the trigger through the pull. And I also wasn't previously aware that depending on make/model that the break/ignition point in a DA pull can be at a different place than that of the SA pull.

It's easy to name more than a few guns that have smoother DA trigger pull than HK, but the HK stock DA is doable if you want it. They certainly can't be called "good" though.
    _JD_, IANative, Vincent04 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)

Practice is the best of all instructors!!!

Tony
    spentcase, LCSO264 and SUNDOG like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's too bad the trigger on the HK P30 series isn't better. My EDC is a P30L. It was also my IDPA gun. I've learned the trigger. I have well over 30,000 rounds through mine and MANY more dry fires. Thousands of presentations from the holster too.

Now, in IDPA I'm "expert" not "master", so I still have some work to do. When I have to take a "head" shot at 30 yards "strong hand only" from the holster, the trigger isn't smooth or light enough. That's why for the SSP division in IDPA, I shoot a "Wilson" Brigadier Tactical and I bring a Sig P226 as my back up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

P30 trigger pull is not bad at all. As a matter of fact it’s frankly kinda goodish. Now the reset.......well if reset drives your bus......well let’s just say you are not gonna accidentally “double” a P30. :)

I think many folks don’t understand the thought that goes into making a “military trigger” that will always go bang when it’s supposed to and NEVER do so when it’s not. 99.9% of us also shoot our guns primarily for pleasure at times we deem comfortable and appropriate (may it ever be so). Because of this we tend to feel out every trigger nuance. Add stress, mud, blood, excessive heat or cold, gloves etc. and those little nuances tend to evaporate into yank trigger gun go bang. ****, dropped gun down mountain.....please don’t go bang. :)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Practice is the best of all instructors!!!

Tony
    Amen, Tony.

IMHO, it's a software, and not necessarily hardware when it comes to good trigger pull.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It's refreshing to see some sanity posted here. I've said for years, I don't want an EDC piece that's been modified, especially by someone I don't know. Any piece I carry is as it left the factory. I have zero problem with the P30 SA/DA trigger been using it for three decades. If a guy is so far away I can't hit him with DA first shot then either he's so far away as to not be an immediate threat or I need a rifle.

To the guy above who can't use DA for a long head shot, is there a rule against thumb cocking the hammer? I did it in USPSA all the time, draw normally, use the weak hand to thumb cock the hammer, ez pz.
    Or get a P30S and go cocked and locked.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A P30S was the first HK I ever purchased and the only one I have ever sold. This trigger was the #1 factor in that decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    It's refreshing to see some sanity posted here. I've said for years, I don't want an EDC piece that's been modified, especially by someone I don't know. Any piece I carry is as it left the factory. I have zero problem with the P30 SA/DA trigger been using it for three decades. If a guy is so far away I can't hit him with DA first shot then either he's so far away as to not be an immediate threat or I need a rifle.

To the guy above who can't use DA for a long head shot, is there a rule against thumb cocking the hammer? I did it in USPSA all the time, draw normally, use the weak hand to thumb cock the hammer, ez pz.
    Or get a P30S and go cocked and locked.
    Cocking is a no-go. Also, shooting a SAO puts you in the enhanced service pistol division. I shoot ESP but I use a 1911 for that.

I agree that a long head-shot would not be likely in a real, defensive situation which is why my EDC is a P30L.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links