Improved Accuracy with USP45CT vs USPc 45?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Improved Accuracy with USP45CT vs USPc 45?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Improved Accuracy with USP45CT vs USPc 45?

I dont think the O ring will improve accuracy, but I would assume the extra .66" of the barrel will. I have the uspf 45 now and I am very accurate with it, I like the fact that I get the shorter grip but same length barrel, although the site radius is still the same as the USPc.

The other option is to get the USPc LEM and have a Jarvis barrel made, This will be for carry so I do not want to sacrifice dependability by using a non HK barrel, although a rifled barrel may be more accurate than the standard, but again I dont want to sacrifice reliability for accuracy.

Is it worth the money for my intended use? As soon as I get a USP45CT LEM I will have standard uspc night sights installed. I will also be sending this out to be cobra chromed or NP3 plated, but I doubt that matters either way. To be honest, I probably wont suppress this pistol in the near future, but I do plan on eventually getting a suppressor, I cant say for sure I'll want to suppress a 45 unless better dry suppression technology gets released though (i.e. blackbox suppressor).

The price breakdown from the prices I have seen work out to(shipping included in both prices):
    • $1035.00 - USPc 45 including the cost of the jarvis barrel, night sights, and LEM (does not include shipping to and from jarvis)
    • $1160.00 - USP45CT with the installed night sights (this option allows me to put on the after market green/orange night sights I want and saves me from having to ship the barrel to jarvis and the wait time)

Still debating between the USPc / USP45CT and P2000, but the USP45CT is starting to edge ahead if its worth it for my purposes and intended use, but again that all depends on if the .66" of extended barrel is going to make any difference in accuracy.
    Last edited by JLStorm; 08-24-2007 at 02:05 PM.
    "There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic."

Proud owner of the exclusive HK Chanical Recoil Reduction System (CR^2S)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The extended barrel won't make a difference. With pistols, how everything fits makes a bigger difference. O-ring has been contraversial.
    Speed never killed anyone. It's the sudden stops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    The extended barrel won't make a difference. With pistols, how everything fits makes a bigger difference. O-ring has been contraversial.
    Wouldnt bullet speed increase at the very least? I just always have found guns with longer barrels are more accurate, but that could be do also to the longer sight radius that this wont have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    Wouldnt bullet speed increase at the very least? I just always have found guns with longer barrels are more accurate, but that could be do also to the longer sight radius that this wont have.
    Yes, but the increase in speed will be negligible. . . I would think maybe less than 50 fps (if even that).
    HK is the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

50 fps is about right, but I would not say that is negligible.

I can't compare against a standard USPc, but my USP C-T is as accurate in my hands as my Nighthawk GRP and nearly achieves the same velocity. I love my C-T.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the consensus is that the .66" extra barrel of the CT will not affect accuracy but will give me a boost in speed? If Im not absolutely sure Im going to suppress it, thats $250.00 for slightly more speed with no accuracy gains.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    So the consensus is that the .66" extra barrel of the CT will not affect accuracy but will give me a boost in speed? If Im not absolutely sure Im going to suppress it, thats $250.00 for slightly more speed with no accuracy gains.
    Just to help you put it in perspective, if the speed increase is 50 fps (its probably less), I get more than 50 fps variation out of a string of 15 shots fired. That's 15 shots of exactly the same ammo with the exact same amount of powder, same cases, same primers, and same bullets all fired within about a minute of each other in the exact same environment. Of all the loads I've ever chronographed, I've never seen a string of 15 shots with less of a total variance (fastest to slowest) than 50 fps. And that goes for both 9mm and 45 ACP at normal overall factory velocities.

The CT is a GREAT gun, but it's no better than the USP Compact 45. If you know you aren't going to need the threaded barrel, then there is no advantage at all with the CT over the USP Compact 45. :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    Just to help you put it in perspective, if the speed increase is 50 fps (its probably less), I get more than 50 fps variation out of a string of 15 shots fired. That's 15 shots of exactly the same ammo with the exact same amount of powder, same cases, same primers, and same bullets all fired within about a minute of each other in the exact same environment. Of all the loads I've ever chronographed, I've never seen a string of 15 shots with less of a total variance (fastest to slowest) than 50 fps. And that goes for both 9mm and 45 ACP at normal overall factory velocities.

The CT is a GREAT gun, but it's no better than the USP Compact 45. If you know you aren't going to need the threaded barrel, then there is no advantage at all with the CT over the USP Compact 45. :)
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I definitely want to get a can, but if 45 suppression technology doesnt get any better for dry cans I dont know that I would suppress my 45's.

I am still confused, maybe someone can sort me out....I started shooting 1911's and I was always taught that a government 5" model will always have more speed and better accuracy than the 4" commander model shooting the same round because of the extra inch on the barrel. Was this incorrect, and its the sight radius thats giving people that extra accuracy or what? This is why I just assumed that the extra almost 7/10" would be of some benefit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fact, any increase in the length of the barrel will increase your accuracy to a certain extent, that's the concept with rifles. In a compact handgun, being that the barrel is some three inches, it's highly inaccurate shooting at distances beyond 15 meters, where as a full size can easily be used to engage targets in and up to some 25 meters+ away.

The mechanics behind a rifle is bullet stability. Of course it doesn't take a quantum physics major to figure out, the more stable your bullet is, the greater the accuracy. Increasing a 3" barrel to 4", the accuracy will be greater, increase that same barrel to 6" and you're dead on at 40 feet and below (depending on your skill). The reason rifle barrels are some 12' or more is due to the added stability of the bullet exiting the muzzle. When a bullet is fired, vibrations in the barrel cause the bullet to change its trajectory, the length of the barrel stabilizes the bullet enough to sustain it at a greater distance. The rifling twists e.g. "9/1 twist" plays a part as well. Too many twists, and your bullet will spin off its axis , too little and the bullet will tumble loosing accuratcy... but thats too deep into it.

All in all, yes increasing your barrel length will increase your accuracy. However there are other factors such as individual skill, bullet weight, air temp, wind..ect, but the over all factor is that the increase will give you some greater accuracy.. depending on the amount of increase.
    Last edited by abn96b3ps; 08-24-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The point is that the extra 1/2 inch or so in barrel length definitely isn't going to give you a noticeable increase in velocity nor accuracy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links