P7 performance in training class

Thread: P7 performance in training class

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default P7 performance in training class

Last edited by YVK; 05-22-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Excellent writeup! Its always good to hear how the P7M8 does in training/self defense classes. I am actually debating using mine for an upcoming class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you 100 percent. Good deal.
    Boy, if you try and pee out a forrest fire all you are going to get is a burnt pecker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I used mine for my CHL class, but haven't in any other training. Although I don't have one yet, I am kinda considering a PSP variant for CC. The ease of dropping the mag makes me fear dropping it while unholstering by mistake.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    AviatorDave,

I've heard of this concern. I myself never had this problem. P7 is my only HK firearm but, from what I know, this type of mag release system is used on all current HK pistols yet there are not too many (if any?) confirmed reports from M8, USP, P2000, P30 and HK45 users. Although, I guess, a theoretic possiblity always exists.

On a separate note, seeing that you're from Dallas: the above-mentioned class was in DFW area, and I would've never guessed it could get so cold in Texas!
    The way the P7 is designed, a proper holster is critical. Besides accidently dropping a mag, I'm also concerned about inadvertently cocking (and firing) it while unholstering it in a panic. I know, I know, practice, practice, practice. The problem is that no one in town allows firing from a draw, so practicing it requires a long drive.

Oh yeah, it can get downright cold, but just not for very long. The lowest I've ever seen was 8F back about 10 years or so. And on New Year's Eve several years ago, it got into the 20s with rain. Yippee! I think it was actually one of the lowest traffic fatalities for any NYE - no one could get going fast enough to cause more than fender benders. Although it does get cold, it may be 25F one day, then up to 60 and sunny the next.

But which class did you take? Where was it? Was it a pistol/subgun class, or just carbines in semi? After taking HKPro's MP5 operators course last year, I'd like to take some more.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 02-12-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dave's concern about accidental mag ejection is also a reason that I prefer the PSP for carry to the P7M8.

If I were a LEO with a utility belt and spare mags I might consider the speed of reloads as a factor, however, when I carry it I don't have a spare mag on me, so it doesn't really matter how fast I could reload it.
    P7 PSP, USP-T 9mm suppressed, UMP SBR Conversion suppressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have always considered a spare mag essential, as it is part of many stoppage/malfunction recoveries.

I have carried an M8 nearly every day and everywhere it was legal, since 1985, and I have NEVER had premature ejection. Of course, I think about baseball all the time. . . .For some reason, M13s are more problematic, but i've never owned one.

I did Tactical Response's Tactical Carbine course; did 300 pistol rounds in two days with an M8. temp: 104 (Tucson). No issues with gun heat,, but of course we fired sidearms in conjuction with carbine drills, so there were few long strings with the handgun.

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    The way the P7 is designed, a proper holster is critical.

...Besides accidently dropping a mag, I'm also concerned about inadvertently cocking (and firing) it while unholstering it in a panic.

But which class did you take? Where was it? Was it a pistol/subgun class, or just carbines in semi? After taking HKPro's MP5 operators course last year, I'd like to take some more.
    Agree 100% on holster. That's why, as I've mentioned above, it took me 4 weeks to break a new holster to a state where accidental cocking during the draw wasn't a concern anymore. Just makes you appreciate Matt Del Fatti's expertise with P7 holsters; his took like one day to break in.

Again, my biggest reassurance about accidental mag drops comes from the fact that all other HK pistols use the same release system, and we don't hear a whole lot of owners complaining. In all fairness, though, the statistical majority are probably USP pistols, and the release paddles are quite smaller on those - I dunno, they maybe more difficult to engage accidentally.

BTW, I personally know of at least one nationally reputable instructor (in fact, I trained with guy) who doesn't allow M8 routinely in his classes due to accidental cocking concerns. I regret never asking him if it was purely theoretical, or he actually had negative experience.

This current class that I went to was located in Greenville - hour or so from DFW airport. It was pistol/semi carbine, not subgun, and the instruction was provided by Larry Vickers.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Nice write up! I always wondered how the P7 would fair in a weekend shooting course. From what I have read here and elsewhere they seem to perform quite well, in addition to being so accurate as P7's are known to be.

As far as PSP vs. M8, I'm with you all the way. The heat sheild becomes a must for these types of applications, which is something the PSP just doesn't have. The PSP would be nice and slim to carry, and not many rounds would be put through it for heat to become a major issue. PSPs seem to make an excellent CCW but would probably fall short of the M8 in a competition or training course.

Furthurmore, the M13 and M10 are made after the M8 and not the PSP (heat sheilds and side mag. releases on both). One would argue that the better design always shines through and carries on it's lineage to the other pistols. ;)
    Owns HK and Glock Pistols.
    NRA/CCDL/GSSF Member- Glock Certified Armorer

Improve Your Handgun Shooting Skills- Hidden Content

Sponsored Links