SL8-G36 conversion durability?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SL8-G36 conversion durability?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default SL8-G36 conversion durability?

Several of the SL-8 converted to G36s have been out for several years now. How's the durability, any issues with the receivers?
    I have a Bostic converted SL-8 to G36 and haven't had any issues but it's somewhat of a safe queen.
    Just curious, Any feedback from current owners?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've heard of zero issues. If the weld job is done properly it should be as strong or stronger than the original plastic.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

There was a statement made about a fuse-job ump conversion that was made into a full auto postie. It had a very high round count without any issues. My C conversion has zero problems with the weld, and I do not see any indication it will ever be a problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

No problems at all with my Tommy Built Tactical G36K. I estimate I have around 10,000 rounds through it. I know of some post sample conversions out there with many more rounds through them.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a conversion and was fighting a stock pin that did not want to come out. I was banging on the rear end of the conversion really hard at an off angle. It held up just fine and no cracks or issues from the beat down. Tommy is a master when it comes to these conversions. And I feel certain that if he did the work and something were to happen, Tommy would make it right.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdyer View Post
    I have a conversion and was fighting a stock pin that did not want to come out. I was banging on the rear end of the conversion really hard at an off angle. It held up just fine and no cracks or issues from the beat down. Tommy is a master when it comes to these conversions. And I feel certain that if he did the work and something were to happen, Tommy would make it right.
    Did you find a way of holding or supporting the receiver when dealing with the pin? What I am getting at is I found it incredibly awkward to drive my stock pin out, and am interested to know if you had come up with a way of securing the receiver. I didn't get the impression an AR vise block would work very well and have everything supported.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, I would remove all of the sights or Dual Optic from the top. Flip it over onto the top and move it out to the edge of my work bench. Then I would squirt some WD40 into the pin and hole, I let it sit and soak in for a few minutes. Then I used a long hex head driver ( The long kind that interchange in and out of a screw drive handle) to bang the pin out with. I have requested the Old Lady's assistance to help hold the rifle in place during the bang out. The lube really helped ease the pin out.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdyer View Post
    Yes, I would remove all of the sights or Dual Optic from the top. Flip it over onto the top and move it out to the edge of my work bench. Then I would squirt some WD40 into the pin and hole, I let it sit and soak in for a few minutes. Then I used a long hex head driver ( The long kind that interchange in and out of a screw drive handle) to bang the pin out with. I have requested the Old Lady's assistance to help hold the rifle in place during the bang out. The lube really helped ease the pin out.
    Smart move on the WD40, that I didn't try. I will have the wifey hold it as that would probably make it very manageable. Thanks for the pointers!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    No problems at all with my Tommy Built Tactical G36K. I estimate I have around 10,000 rounds through it. I know of some post sample conversions out there with many more rounds through them.
    do you realize you probably got more rounds though that conversion than the average Bundeswehr's G36 :P
    Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Chopstix 36 has been to -18f this winter and never a hiccup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links