SL8-G36 conversion durability?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: SL8-G36 conversion durability?

  1. #1
    Very Senior Member
    CIMG's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2010
    Location : Fulton, MO
    Posts : 324
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default SL8-G36 conversion durability?

    Several of the SL-8 converted to G36s have been out for several years now. How's the durability, any issues with the receivers?
    I have a Bostic converted SL-8 to G36 and haven't had any issues but it's somewhat of a safe queen.
    Just curious, Any feedback from current owners?

  2. #2
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Anthony.L's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2011
    Location : Federal Way, WA
    Posts : 1,304
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    I've heard of zero issues. If the weld job is done properly it should be as strong or stronger than the original plastic.

  3. #3
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 2,145
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

    Default

    There was a statement made about a fuse-job ump conversion that was made into a full auto postie. It had a very high round count without any issues. My C conversion has zero problems with the weld, and I do not see any indication it will ever be a problem.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    sweersa's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2012
    Location : Michigan
    Posts : 2,451
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    No problems at all with my Tommy Built Tactical G36K. I estimate I have around 10,000 rounds through it. I know of some post sample conversions out there with many more rounds through them.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  6. #5
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Jdyer's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2008
    Posts : 424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I have a conversion and was fighting a stock pin that did not want to come out. I was banging on the rear end of the conversion really hard at an off angle. It held up just fine and no cracks or issues from the beat down. Tommy is a master when it comes to these conversions. And I feel certain that if he did the work and something were to happen, Tommy would make it right.

  7. #6
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 2,145
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdyer View Post
    I have a conversion and was fighting a stock pin that did not want to come out. I was banging on the rear end of the conversion really hard at an off angle. It held up just fine and no cracks or issues from the beat down. Tommy is a master when it comes to these conversions. And I feel certain that if he did the work and something were to happen, Tommy would make it right.
    Did you find a way of holding or supporting the receiver when dealing with the pin? What I am getting at is I found it incredibly awkward to drive my stock pin out, and am interested to know if you had come up with a way of securing the receiver. I didn't get the impression an AR vise block would work very well and have everything supported.

  8. #7
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Jdyer's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2008
    Posts : 424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes, I would remove all of the sights or Dual Optic from the top. Flip it over onto the top and move it out to the edge of my work bench. Then I would squirt some WD40 into the pin and hole, I let it sit and soak in for a few minutes. Then I used a long hex head driver ( The long kind that interchange in and out of a screw drive handle) to bang the pin out with. I have requested the Old Lady's assistance to help hold the rifle in place during the bang out. The lube really helped ease the pin out.

  9. #8
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 2,145
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdyer View Post
    Yes, I would remove all of the sights or Dual Optic from the top. Flip it over onto the top and move it out to the edge of my work bench. Then I would squirt some WD40 into the pin and hole, I let it sit and soak in for a few minutes. Then I used a long hex head driver ( The long kind that interchange in and out of a screw drive handle) to bang the pin out with. I have requested the Old Lady's assistance to help hold the rifle in place during the bang out. The lube really helped ease the pin out.
    Smart move on the WD40, that I didn't try. I will have the wifey hold it as that would probably make it very manageable. Thanks for the pointers!

  10. #9
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Andy88's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Location : zurich
    Posts : 430
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    No problems at all with my Tommy Built Tactical G36K. I estimate I have around 10,000 rounds through it. I know of some post sample conversions out there with many more rounds through them.
    do you realize you probably got more rounds though that conversion than the average Bundeswehr's G36 :P
    Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti

  11. #10
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

    Join Date : Aug 2000
    Location : mn
    Posts : 414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    My Chopstix 36 has been to -18f this winter and never a hiccup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

g36 conversion cracking

Click on a term to search for related topics.