What happened to the HK91? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What happened to the HK91?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm surprised HK didn't make them in the USA. They had the inside track on available tooling and equipment. Thank goodness for PTR.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

HK set up G3 plants all over the world, and probably had a very good idea what the cost vs. sales would be. They also probably saw the writing on the wall - 5 years later the US passed the Crime Bill and made the basic 91 illegal. Not that a threadless barrel version couldn't have been produced at that point, but it wouldn't have looked like a very good bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The "Assault Rifle Ban" was largely a cosmetic law that identified "Assault Rifles" by a number of features such as pistol grips, removable high-capacity magazines, bayonet lugs, etc. etc. However, the bill also banned a list of guns specifically by name. The H&K 91 was one of the guns, along with the AK47, that were banned from further importation. Of course, the first responses to the bill were to eliminate cosmetics and to change names.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
    The "Assault Rifle Ban" was largely a cosmetic law that identified "Assault Rifles" by a number of features such as pistol grips, removable high-capacity magazines, bayonet lugs, etc. etc. However, the bill also banned a list of guns specifically by name. The H&K 91 was one of the guns, along with the AK47, that were banned from further importation. Of course, the first responses to the bill were to eliminate cosmetics and to change names.
    I don't believe the HK91 was one of the named ones on the '94 ban. I don't know how it was decided, but they are listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban

Prior to '89, the "HK91" was being imported under three different model names, which may have complicated things. But the same was true of FAL and AK rifles, so go figure.

Really, all of the AW bans in the US have been cosmetic. CA's laws are really just about pistol grips on rifles. Buy a Mini-14 or a SL7 and suddenly all's well.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    Go ask George D. Bush Sr..
    I'm pretty certain you mean George Herbert Walker Bush (aka Bush 41).
    Sparkplugs are irrelevant.
    Plenty of HK's and clones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HK 91's and 93's are great shooting guns. No problem hitting a shotgun shell at 100 yards with open sights. My favorite gun is the 93A3. Thank my lucky stars that I was able to get one before the ban.

7n6

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Correct--- those HK91's caught in customs would later become the HK 911 (just with a "1" added after the 91, and post-89 features further added)!!!

Tony
    And 91T

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    And 91T
    Of course--- only about 20 though!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasShooter View Post
    HK 91's and 93's are great shooting guns. No problem hitting a shotgun shell at 100 yards with open sights. My favorite gun is the 93A3. Thank my lucky stars that I was able to get one before the ban.
    Your eyes must be WAY better then mine to be able to see a shotgun hull at 100 yards with iron sights so your avatar seems very appropriate.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolph Hitler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised HK didn't make them in the USA. They had the inside track on available tooling and equipment. Thank goodness for PTR.
    They aren't known for giving a **** about the us market, much less our stupid import laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links