HK91, MR762, or a G36? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: HK91, MR762, or a G36?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    When buying an SL8 to G36 conversion, keep in mind that the value in USA is artificially inflated due to import bans. As soon as HK sells the actual HK 243 in the US, the SL8 conversions will crash extremely hard in price. In EU SL8 conversions and SL8 in general are "under 1000eur" guns these days, since actual HK243 can be had for ~1350 to 1400 new in the shop. Thats also one of the reasons why I would opt for a roller-locker.
    I wouldn't invest in a G36 for profit. Seeing that the HK243/293 was announced before the SP5K, and still hasn't arrived, and the SP5K is now on the market... If you want a G36 in the US, that's the path you take. I doubt if US will ever see a G36 copy from HK. Hope so, but doubt it. I still reccomend the G36. Nothing else like it out there. Try explaining to people why your $2500 HK91 is better than their $800 PTR-91 and watch as they don't comprehend...
    But, OP has disappeared and now we are all just arguing which is better so this thread is kind of a lost cause anyways.
    [Insert Witty Comment Here]

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I honestly don't think a plastic rifle that seems to be on the outs with issuing countries is a good bet. If I wanted an interesting .223 military style rifle I'd look at what else is on the market. I just don't think the G36/SL8 shines compared to the SCAR, Tavor, etc.

The 91 (or even 93) is truly different and was in active service with militaries for 50 years. That's provenance.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I have wanted a G36K since I saw one in 2002/2003 as a kid on the History Channel. It has that awesome space like appearance, and also happens to be a highly reliable family of weapons.

Even today, I could never get what I put into this SL8-1/G36K conversion back if you're talking about dollars, but it was never a financial investment. I shoot and enjoy it immensely. People at the range love it too, and to see their expression when I hand it over to let them rip a few rounds down range is priceless.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Another option I should have mentioned is a getting a factory HK91 type rifle from a contract country - like a Greek SAR-3/8 or a Portuguese FMP G3S. Pretty much HK quality, made completely on HK tooling to HK standards.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

And those will cost you almost what a decent HK91 German example is going for these days. Dont stray..buy HK!
    Retired 0-4
    USSOCCENT
    CJSOTF-S
    TFKBAR
    Khandahar, AFG
    Liaison:Bundeswehr DSO Afghanistan 2002

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Id say you are right if you only have an MR556 and are looking for another HK..91 then... But the G36 is more a collectors piece for HK afficianados. It was serviceable but not the best Germanic 223 rifle out there. i think the AUG and Sig 550 series are better made. This is no fault of HKs though..they produced what the Bundeswehr wanted. I thought it generally served the Germans well while I was in Afghan-a-rama-stan but in my CJSOTF we had Germans with the G36 and Danes and Norwegians still carrying the G3..hence my remark on Thor carrying one. My best buddy was a Norwegian officer and he was the epitomy of the Viking Warrior in my mind. I remember being invited over to the Norwegian camp (I slept in the German and was therefore always suspect lol) and a sentry holding a G3A3 standing they bellowing "HEY WHERE YOU GOING"..fortunately my Viking friend, Stein, rescued me...

Quote Originally Posted by Handy View Post
    I honestly don't think a plastic rifle that seems to be on the outs with issuing countries is a good bet. If I wanted an interesting .223 military style rifle I'd look at what else is on the market. I just don't think the G36/SL8 shines compared to the SCAR, Tavor, etc.

The 91 (or even 93) is truly different and was in active service with militaries for 50 years. That's provenance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links