HK433 - The new assault rifle from HK - Page 20
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HK433 - The new assault rifle from HK

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    I like the non-reciprocating charging handle a LOT. It doesn't take much to get used to it. Once you do you'll wonder why it took so long.

# 1 Benefit is NOT having to take your eyes off the target through the scope or sights .

# 2 is IF something goes wrong with the piston or the gas , no problem , just run it like a bolt gun .

It really does make it a lot easier to charge.
    The problem with a forward charging handle is that MFALs and lights can interfere with manipulations. We shall have to see if that is an actual issue with this particular design.
    Hidden Content

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

HKPro Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MP5_smg View Post
    "I know it's a bit early to ask as a lot is still subject to change before the gun hits production. Having said that, has it actually been confirmed that the upper will be extruded aluminum and not forged like the 416/417 receivers?"

No confirmation yet as far as I know, but I say it is likely to be extruded since HK did say that it is cheaper than the 416. I can't see how they can achieve cheaper production cost with a forged monolithic receiver.
    True, but a polymer lower would likely keep costs down as well. By how much is anyone's guess, but perhaps it's enough to allow the use of a forged upper since the lower is not aluminum. I personally would prefer forged.

Tspeis

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    True, but a polymer lower would likely keep costs down as well. By how much is anyone's guess, but perhaps it's enough to allow the use of a forged upper since the lower is not aluminum. I personally would prefer forged.

Tspeis
    I hope you're right. I'm also skeptical on how much the cost the poly lower can really save. My understanding is that it is difficult and expensive to forge a monolithic upper (which is bigger and longer than your typical AR15 receiver), and then do all the final machining afterward, especially if it is 7075 T6 aluminum.

The B&T APC has forged upper (someone correct me if wrong on this) and poly lower and that thing is CRAZY expensive, and the upper is not even monolithic!

I'll be VERY much impressed if HK can do that and yet still make it cheaper than the 416.

EDIT: Well, looking back a few pages, it looks like Jim confirmed that the upper is indeed extruded.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-g...ml#post2388098
    Last edited by MP5_smg; 02-06-2017 at 03:55 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MP5_smg View Post
    The B&T APC has forged upper (someone correct me if wrong on this) and poly lower and that thing is CRAZY expensive, and the upper is not even monolithic!

I'll be VERY much impressed if HK can do that and yet still make it cheaper than the 416.
    B&T APC and HK MR223 are similarly priced in Europe. Maybe the US Importeur of B&T charges an extra premium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    Link to German press release - http://augengeradeaus.net/wp-content...ung_-HK433.pdf

Link to translated (English) press release - https://thearmsguide.com/12107/hks-s...n-rifle-hk433/

Any of our German speaking members care to see if the translation is correct and the press release does in fact indicate a forged upper instead of extruded?

Tspeis
    Nope, no word of a 'forged' upper. They somehow translated "hochfestes Aluminium" (=high strength aluminum) to 'forged aluminum'. I'm neither a metallurgist nor a native english speaker, but I don't think 'high strength aluminum' is a synonym for forged aluminum...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

The upper looks extruded. That said, why would it need a different manufacturing process? The bolt will run on steel inserts, the upper is just there as rigid shell to avoid shift of POI and heat not dissipating away when going "hot", like the "g36 Thermos effect". For that, you dont need expensive forging and that will not in any way improve the quality of the firearm.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    Remember when I said good things were coming?
    1. US Plant (US made product, parts not importable from Germany)
    2. HK433 (and variants)
    Hmmm... I know about 2 possible new things. I would like to compare my notes with yours ;)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montrala View Post
    Hmmm... I know about 2 possible new things. I would like to compare my notes with yours ;)
    The rest of us, too, would like to see that

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I don't know that it does make sense to extrude the upper . You have features on the outside of the Upper that aren't flat and have multiple different radii . Look at your AR upper forging . You don't have much machining where the forward assist , the case deflector and where the cam pin cutout is . You do have light surfacing .

You have the case deflector on the right side that would add material to an extrusion . Are they going to extrude the bore ? Sometimes it's better to start a hole . HK knows forgings as well as anybody . Look at your USP slides , MR Uppers and Lowers , etc . The Upper is where all the geometry is . BTW , anybody can make a lower . As far as the size of the forging ? That's not an issue at all , especially in Europe .

Is it cheaper to extrude vs forge ? Maybe , maybe not . It's probably going to be a preference on what technology HK feels better working with . A lot of the cost reduction is getting rid of the buffer system .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    Is it cheaper to extrude vs forge ? Maybe , maybe not .
    The injection-molded lower (aka plastic grip) of the 433 alone saves you lots of money compared to the forged lower of the 416.

Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links