Hk91/G3 handguard - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hk91/G3 handguard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The slim is better looking IMO, and fine for casual shooting, the hand feels better in the slim.
    But it is anything but a good heat shield, I never understood why several euro armies never upgrade to the wide handguard.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For me it's just the looks. I much prefer the wide hand guard. GARY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sheriff1994 View Post
    For not rapid fire shooting , is standard slim forearm with a heat shield enough protection?
    Depends on how fast and/or sustained your shooting is. I wasn't referring to mag dumps when I said rapidly. I simply fired a round every 10 or so seconds while shooting at steel plates in the example I was talking about and now that I think about it, I only went through two mags doing that before I had to get a glove on.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    Adolph Hitler

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The slim is better looking IMO, and fine for casual shooting, the hand feels better in the slim.
    But it is anything but a good heat shield, I never understood why several euro armies never upgrade to the wide handguard.
    Because they never fought a war with it. From a member here who served in it, the German Army even had a rate of fire SOP to alleviate the heat build up. Though as I pointed out, the rate of fire in combat is dictated by the enemy's actions and not the training SOP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the slim for the Costa grip lol

and the wide for bench shooting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hk91/G3 handguard-img_3736.jpg  

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What does it matter? Collect them all, any will fit & swap out in a few seconds.

Savor the wooden ones, they are drying up.

DG
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Wood will provide better heat management.
    That's why so many new guns use wood.

The wood doesn't cover enough of the gun... Even without taking into consideration the better ability of plastic to deal with heat, the wood handguards are too small; height wise and length.

Get a wood handguard for an old school, traditional look. Get a modern handguard if you shoot a lot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    That's why so many new guns use wood.

The wood doesn't cover enough of the gun... Even without taking into consideration the better ability of plastic to deal with heat, the wood handguards are too small; height wise and length.

Get a wood handguard for an old school, traditional look. Get a modern handguard if you shoot a lot.
    While I agree with your last sentance, you are wrong as to the rest.

Between the slim plastic and wood forearms the wood actually does provide more protection from the barrel heat. I have shot with both and while the wood does eventually get as hot as the plastic it takes much longer.

Plastic, in and of itself, provides less heat protection then wood as wood is a better insulator. The wide plastic forearm protects better simply because it provides more air space between the barrel and the shooters hand. Even the wide forearm can be improved with the addition of ventilation holes, such as vendors offer and I did to mine. With a slight breeze at the range my fingers can feel the heat escaping through the holes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_29 View Post
    While I agree with your last sentance, you are wrong as to the rest.

Between the slim plastic and wood forearms the wood actually does provide more protection from the barrel heat. I have shot with both and while the wood does eventually get as hot as the plastic it takes much longer.

Plastic, in and of itself, provides less heat protection then wood as wood is a better insulator. The wide plastic forearm protects better simply because it provides more air space between the barrel and the shooters hand. Even the wide forearm can be improved with the addition of ventilation holes, such as vendors offer and I did to mine. With a slight breeze at the range my fingers can feel the heat escaping through the holes.
    +1

Wood HG still the best after 50 years. The wide HD is simply to bulky for me on the 91, however on the 33/93 I don't mind it at all on the smaller/lighter rifle.
    Last edited by hansellhd2; 07-28-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    HDH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The slim fore end allows the use of a heavy bipod.

It was pointed out to me that one can shoot downhill off the heavy bipod without raising your body up very high.

Hk91/G3 handguard-91.b.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links