HKPRO Forums banner

Hunting With Your Semi-Auto HK ... Have You?

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  pgreen 
#1 ·
If this has been discussed before and I missed the thread, I am sorry for reposting. I am curious to know how many of you all hunt with your HK rifles. What rifle are you using and what are you hunting for? How do you like the HK rifle platform for hunts? As most states limit the amount of rounds you can legally have in the mag, how do you get around this with HK using mostly proprietary mags and very few of them, if any, in "hunting friendly" sizes (5 rounds). I live in CO and the law states I can have a maximum of 5 in the magazine and 1 chambered; however I use a 10 round mag as that is the smallest offering from HK and just load 6 in. No issues yet doing this. I look forward to hearing your experiences with HK for hunting purposes!

#2 ·
I've hunted with HK rifles for many years. Mainly used the sporting rifles( 270, 300, 630, 770, SL6, SL7) But I did sneak a 91 out for whitetail one season years ago. The HK's are great hunting rifles but I'm a little biased. I live in a state where there is no mag capacity restrictions. So a 91/93/715/716 with 20-30 round mags are fine. There are 3/4/5 round mags available for the HK sporting guns.

#3 ·
The last two years, my HK91 clones took both antelope. One was at about 20-30 yards, and the other at a little over 200 yards. Season starts again next Monday with yet another clone. This time will be with a 91K-ish clone(14 1/2" barrel with pinned FH).

#6 ·
I do not own any Magpul 7.62 mags so I can't give you 100% confirmation on this, but I believe the MR762 will accept only the proprietary HK mags. According to HK's website, a 5 round mag for the 762 is "currently under development" ... but it has said that for 18 months and according to my last call to HK, they weren't able to give me any more information about it than their website did. The next time I run across someone with a Magpul 7.62 mag I will see if I borrow it and try it in the MR.

#8 ·
Went antelope hunting yesterday and harvested a medium-size young buck south of Medicine Bow, Wyoming. Only 120 yards, so not a terribly difficult shot. Sorry--no pictures of the animal, as I didn't have the cell phone with me at the time, but the rifle of choice was this fellow:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg529/karhop1/IMG_3023_zpsn1xq92fh.jpg

It was built with an ORF flat and has an RCM barrel shortened to 14.5" with a pinned/welded FH. Scope is an SWFA 1x4 with American Defense 20 m.o.a. mount. And before you laugh at me for the recoil pad, realize it was added as a quick fix for proper eye relief. With or without the pad, the rifle has very little recoil. Bullet was Hornady 150g SST with 40.5g of IMR 4064, and the animal was probably dead before it hit the ground.

#11 ·
I grew up hunting with my HK 660. This rifle still fired Remington .223 55 gr CoreLokt hole into a 100-yard hole. It's crazy with this ammunition factory. It has killed many Texas deer. Until 91 or 93, I have never hunted deer with these weapons.
I have killed limitless coyote with HK 91, 93, G3, G33, 21, and 23, MP5 (9mm carbine, 40cal and 10 mm), MP5k and Mark 23. I have a new G33K clone that I am going to play way lay on hogs in the near future.

#14 ·
Back in older threads when my older HKpro name HK9150600 I am sure there are a few pictures of whitetail deer I posted with various HKs over the years.

Since I have rejoined HKpro under the "HK9150600-" I don't have enough post number to post pics.

I have used the HK-91 for Wisconsin deer hunting since I was 16 years old, and I retired the 91 when I was 30 when I bought the HK MR762a1

The bottom line is, HK rifles are fantastic for hunting. They are expensive and heavy by today's standards but when it comes to the hunting line SL6, SL7-630,770,940 series they were WAY ahead of their time compared to RemingtonBrowning or Benelli semi-auto rifles.

My Dad shot the biggest buck of his life with an HK SLB2000 that he purchased from Firemancjack and has used an HK91 since 1982 because he was sick of Remington and Browning Semi Autos jamming in the cold. My Uncle was never converted to black rifles but has shot a few whitetails with his SL7, 940, and his SLB2000 over the years.

Wisconsin does not have a magazine restriction (yet) so I use twenty round mags with 10 rounds loaded for weight. The HK91 has a 5 round mag the HK MR762 has a 10 Round Mag the best is the SLB 2000 which has a 2, 5 and 10 round capacity but its not tacticool :)

#22 ·
I’ve taken an antelope, mule deer, and cow elk ( 37, 73, and 615 yards) with my MR762. Lots of rabbits, a few coyotes too.

To say it was unpleasant to pack around on my elk hunt is an understatement.

Attachments

#24 ·
Oh man I really really want to put on a Octane and a TBR and "hunt" pigs with one of my USC/UMPs from a helo. Probably have to lead them a little more than with a rifle round.

You shoot sows? Piglets? How can you do that? "It's easy...you just don't lead them as much!"

#27 ·
Not what you meant regards HK long guns for hunting, but I've killed a bunch of squirrels with my HK300 .22 WMR's, and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a hog or Turkey with it (when legal), just haven't had the chance yet, though I've almost had a shot at 2 coyotes (if only they'd stop moving, even for a second!). I've hunted with my HK SLB2000 30-06, but no shots yet. It feels short and stubby compared to my (1950's, super accurate) Browning BAR 30-06 (integral box mag, 5 rounds), with which I've killed hogs (but haven't had deer shots yet). I hope soon to try my HK 770 .308 for deer or my SL6 .223 for hogs (management areas, sometimes can hunt both species, sometimes only hogs). I've made it a point to buy all the 3, 4, or 5 round mags I can afford over the last few years for the big calibers, as I come across them, to allow for hunting where the mag size is limited, and I even have some 2-round mags for the SLB2000. There aren't usually hunting mag limits on the .22 WMR's, but the 15-round HK300 mags are very pricey and are a bit too long for easy manipulation of the rifle with a sling, at times, but 5-rounds just isn't enough for moving squirrels, and the 10-rounders made by Triple-K work but don't have as nice a finish as HK's and don't seat in the mag well as smoothly either.

#29 ·
Just do it, you won't regret it. Coming home one evening from the range I was driving by my next door neighbors house and noticed her Lamas running at full gallop for some reason. If you know these animals they don't really run at all if they can help it. Happen to have my G3k clone with a 10Rd magazine ready to go. Went into the field and waited for them to pass by, I am not an expert shot by any means and as the Lama's passed by 3 coyote's were hot on their tails. First one was too close to the Lama so I hit the 2nd one at full run. Coyotes peeled off and ran into the forest, Lama's came towards me since they know what a gunshot is (Kinda strange) I picked up the expired coyote and brought it to my neighbor.
I was honestly surprised how easy it was to handle the rifle, squeeze off a round and let it do most of the work, I used iron sights too, no optic. Range was approximately 110 Yds (36 Paces).

#30 ·
I’ve been using an SL7 for white tail the past few years. It’s size makes it’s a very handy deer rifle especially when getting out of the tree stand. It’s low recoil and being stupid accurate is also a plus. Currently have a 1-8x on it which is perfect for a rifle like this.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.