Hunting With Your Semi-Auto HK ... Have You?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hunting With Your Semi-Auto HK ... Have You?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Hunting With Your Semi-Auto HK ... Have You?

If this has been discussed before and I missed the thread, I am sorry for reposting. I am curious to know how many of you all hunt with your HK rifles. What rifle are you using and what are you hunting for? How do you like the HK rifle platform for hunts? As most states limit the amount of rounds you can legally have in the mag, how do you get around this with HK using mostly proprietary mags and very few of them, if any, in "hunting friendly" sizes (5 rounds). I live in CO and the law states I can have a maximum of 5 in the magazine and 1 chambered; however I use a 10 round mag as that is the smallest offering from HK and just load 6 in. No issues yet doing this. I look forward to hearing your experiences with HK for hunting purposes!
    HK MR762A1
    HK VP9SK
    HK45

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've hunted with HK rifles for many years. Mainly used the sporting rifles( 270, 300, 630, 770, SL6, SL7) But I did sneak a 91 out for whitetail one season years ago. The HK's are great hunting rifles but I'm a little biased. I live in a state where there is no mag capacity restrictions. So a 91/93/715/716 with 20-30 round mags are fine. There are 3/4/5 round mags available for the HK sporting guns.
    Don't p**s down my back and tell me it's raining (Fletcher in Outlaw Josie Wales)

GOH
    Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The last two years, my HK91 clones took both antelope. One was at about 20-30 yards, and the other at a little over 200 yards. Season starts again next Monday with yet another clone. This time will be with a 91K-ish clone(14 1/2" barrel with pinned FH).
    May you never walk alone.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GOH View Post
    The last two years, my HK91 clones took both antelope. One was at about 20-30 yards, and the other at a little over 200 yards. Season starts again next Monday with yet another clone. This time will be with a 91K-ish clone(14 1/2" barrel with pinned FH).
    Best of luck with the start of the season! Let us know if you fill those tags. I am still scouting areas as I am new to my current location, but I would love to fill some tags with my MR762 this coming year.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Rickety, Does/can the MR762 use Magpul magazines? I think Magpul makes 5 rd mags for 7.62 rifles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firemancjack View Post
    Rickety, Does/can the MR762 use Magpul magazines? I think Magpul makes 5 rd mags for 7.62 rifles

I do not own any Magpul 7.62 mags so I can't give you 100% confirmation on this, but I believe the MR762 will accept only the proprietary HK mags. According to HK's website, a 5 round mag for the 762 is "currently under development" ... but it has said that for 18 months and according to my last call to HK, they weren't able to give me any more information about it than their website did. The next time I run across someone with a Magpul 7.62 mag I will see if I borrow it and try it in the MR.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

you should be able to make a wooden plug that restricts the mag to 5 rounds, no?

GOH
    Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Went antelope hunting yesterday and harvested a medium-size young buck south of Medicine Bow, Wyoming. Only 120 yards, so not a terribly difficult shot. Sorry--no pictures of the animal, as I didn't have the cell phone with me at the time, but the rifle of choice was this fellow:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...psn1xq92fh.jpg

It was built with an ORF flat and has an RCM barrel shortened to 14.5" with a pinned/welded FH. Scope is an SWFA 1x4 with American Defense 20 m.o.a. mount. And before you laugh at me for the recoil pad, realize it was added as a quick fix for proper eye relief. With or without the pad, the rifle has very little recoil. Bullet was Hornady 150g SST with 40.5g of IMR 4064, and the animal was probably dead before it hit the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took the biggest buck of my life several years ago with my SR 9. I love HK for the fact I can rely on it to always work.
    always be prepared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Used HK91 just before Spring to get rid of those nasty coyote before the offspring come open. I know its a over kill, having 20rd mags helps a lot when they're on the run at 100+ yds.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links