SL8 Barrel Conversion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SL8 Barrel Conversion

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SL8 Barrel Conversion

I have a spare SL8 barrel. Is there anyone out there that can cut down and reprofile my barrel to a G36C barrel? I know I can buy one from HK Parts but I would rather convert the one I have. I do not want my barrel cut down and have to remove the heat shield in a G36C handguard. I want it all to fit correctly. If someone has had this done please chim in.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ybnqskp View Post
    I have a spare SL8 barrel. Is there anyone out there that can cut down and reprofile my barrel to a G36C barrel? I know I can buy one from HK Parts but I would rather convert the one I have. I do not want my barrel cut down and have to remove the heat shield in a G36C handguard. I want it all to fit correctly. If someone has had this done please chim in.
    The authority on all things G36, SL8, and HK243 is Tom Bostic of Tommy Built Tactical. He may not be the one to profile the barrel but can tell you options and where you'll be best served.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Tom can do it. He coverts them all the time. You will need a different gas block if i remember correctly. Seems like maybe the K profile can still use the SL8 block. I could be wrong in my memory though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    Tom can do it. He coverts them all the time. You will need a different gas block if i remember correctly. Seems like maybe the K profile can still use the SL8 block. I could be wrong in my memory though.
    I have the 15.4" short barrel from a G36 in my current build effort. The bull profile SL8 barrel has a unique gas block, not the same as the G36 type from what I can figure out. Sadly, the SL8 barrel won't fit with the S TAR rail, Tom and I tested the fit. Building the conversion can be a learning experience and an expensive one. Lol

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Tommy can do it for $300 and you keep your heat shield. Don’t both getting the USA barrels from HKparts. Not worth the money.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom did my G36K stub fuse. I was just wondering if there was someone out there that could turn the barrel down, make it a smaller diameter and use the G36C gas block. I think Tom said I would have to remove the heat shield in the C handguard if I cut m SL8 barrel down.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If it is turned down to C specs then why would the heat shield be an issue? At that point the barrel would be no different than a C barrel which interfaces with the handguard with the shield.

Paging @tbostic - we need a clean up on aisle 36.
    Last edited by Nzfly; 11-18-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the time I checked with Tom , he was only cutting down the barrel length not the diameter.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Gotcha. That would be one seriously front heavy sbr.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Tom can profile barrels to, he did the reprofile on my MR556 barrel along with cutting it down/threading. Just drop him an e-mail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links