G36 Spuhr Magwell for M16 Mags

Thread: G36 Spuhr Magwell for M16 Mags

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default G36 Spuhr Magwell for M16 Mags

I have been buying parts lately for a G36 build and I decided to go the route of using M16 magazines in it with a Spuhr magwell which I purchased a little over a week ago. Much to my displeasure both Aluminum STANAG magazines and PMags wobble and rattle in the magwell. So far the only mags I have found that won't do that are either steel STANAG magazines or those junky Thermold magazines. I haven't tried HK 416 magazines yet. Besides 416 magazines and the others I have mentioned does anybody else know of any plastic M16 magazines that have a snugger fit that don't wobble and rattle in the Spurh magwells? Any info would be appreciated.

"Yippy Kiya Motherfu***r!" John Mcclane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lancers work well.
    HK and Sci Fi Nut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks. I will give one of them a try then. At least they don't go to waste if they don't fit snug enough. I have a Rock River Arms AR-15 A2 I can use them in if I buy one and it is too loose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Have gun, will travel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just got a Spuhr too but don't have my receiver yet. I'm hoping that the mag wobble goes away once its in the rifle. Seem really loose on mine right now but once the spring is pushing back I hope it won't be so bad. Do you have your installed yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lcpl1812 View Post
    I just got a Spuhr too but don't have my receiver yet. I'm hoping that the mag wobble goes away once its in the rifle. Seem really loose on mine right now but once the spring is pushing back I hope it won't be so bad. Do you have your installed yet?

I am in the same boat as you. I don't have a receiver yet either. Right now besides the magwell I only have a couple stocks (one being a standard side folding G36E/K and a airsoft copy of a IDZ stock which I might try using on it if I ever want to switch them since there is someone on here who uses an airsoft knockoff on there's with no problems), and a standard G36 handguard with a heatshield. Yeah like I said I guess it depends heavily on the magazine in regards to wobble. The steel STANAG magazines it doesn't seem to do that for. At least not the two straight 20 round ProMag ones. And Thermold magazines don't do that either. But from what I have heard about Thermold those magazines aren't worth the few dollars they sell for now and from past experience on two I used in my R.R.A. AR-15 A2 they want to have feed issues all the time. Glad I didn't pay for mine speaking of which. Got them from the Youngstown Ohio Police Department's quartermaster when I was working security at the station doing the metal detector and he saw me reading a M16 book and gave me a paper bag with those magazines in it. But like you said in regards to PMag's and other plastic magazines besides Thermold's maybe once they are in the receiver they won't do that. I know most people on here would tell us to stick to the standard G36 magwell and magazines but myself I like the fact that with M16 magazines you have more options and it is much easier getting pouches from Blackhawk and other places to fit M16 magazines than to get pouches that fit G36 magazines. At least the ones HK makes anyway. I am not big on the fact that with G36 magazines you can only fit two in a pouch that three M16 mags can fit into. Whatever the outcome I look forward to when I do get everything I need and Tom puts it together for me and I get it back around the end of the year when I have everything and send it out.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Currently I only use standard G36 10 & 30 round mags, but have always wondered whether I should pick up one of these adapters; Spuhr or HK's STANAG Mag Adapter. With this adapter, does the bolt lock to the rear on the last round and can you use the extended magazine release or extended bolt release with it? Crap, I haven't used magazine pouches in almost 20 years; the last time a bunch of us took on herds of jack rabbits here in Utah. Albeit the flecktarn G36 dual mag pouches I have (collecting dust) look pretty neat...

Have gun, will travel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tailflash View Post
    Currently I only use standard G36 10 & 30 round mags, but have always wondered whether I should pick up one of these adapters; Spuhr or HK's STANAG Mag Adapter. With this adapter, does the bolt lock to the rear on the last round and can you use the extended magazine release or extended bolt release with it? Crap, I haven't used magazine pouches in almost 20 years; the last time a bunch of us took on herds of jack rabbits here in Utah. Albeit the flecktarn G36 dual mag pouches I have (collecting dust) look pretty neat...
    My Spuhr came with a new bolt release that looks like it will probably hold open fine, and its the XM8 style that you can pull down. I know from years ago using one of the cheap AR mag adapters my old G36 functioned 100% but only locked the bolt back about 80%. I have high hopes for this new release though, it looks like its good to go.

I'm in Davis County so if you wanted to see the Spuhr up close PM me. I'm sure we could arrange something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lcpl1812 View Post
    My Spuhr came with a new bolt release that looks like it will probably hold open fine, and its the XM8 style that you can pull down.

Mine came with that as well. So yeah I think it does work the bolt hold open release. And I guess if it doesn't you just figure that it is no different than alot of other rifles that don't have a bolt hold open feature like in the case of most AK platform rifles and not to mention alot of other HK rifles like the 91/93 rifles. But yeah I prefer bolt hold open over it not having one as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Crap, I haven't used magazine pouches in almost 20 years; the last time a bunch of us took on herds of jack rabbits here in Utah. Albeit the flecktarn G36 dual mag pouches I have (collecting dust) look pretty neat...

Yeah I have to agree that those flecktarn pouches are nice looking. But yeah I just wish you had more options like you do with pouches for M16 mags. More of these companies need to get off there asses and offer them for G36 mags. I guess I am a bit of a mall ninja when it comes to tactical gear.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

…….one of these adapters; Spuhr or HK's STANAG Mag Adapter. With this adapter, does the bolt lock to the rear on the last round and can you use the extended magazine release or extended bolt release with it?...
    As I recall, with the HK STANAG Mag Adapter, the bolt does not lock to the rear after the last round is fired. Price to pay thought if you want to avoid the cost of investing in actual G36 magazines and instead use your large and ready supply of on hand AR magazines.
    MR 308 A3 20"
    MR 308 A1
    MR 223 A1
    HK 243 S TAR
    HK USC .45
    USP Expert .45
    MK 23

Sponsored Links