HK91 with .22lr kit having light strikes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK91 with .22lr kit having light strikes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default HK91 with .22lr kit having light strikes

So I was out at the range last weekend shooting the HK91 with the .22lr kit. Every few rounds would malfunction. I've used this ammo with no issues before, and I tried other ammo brands and it did the same thing. When I looked closer at the malfunctioning rounds, I see where the firing pin hits. When comparing to the casings that did fire, the malfunction ammo has a noticeably lighter strike. I pulled the .22lr kit out and ran some .308 with no issues. So how would the pros here recommend fixing these light strikes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do a total detailed cleaning of the entire rifle and kit. Try again and report back. Good luck

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

#1 culprit would be the hammer spring. Make sure you use a rifle spring (vs. pistol or burst)
    #2 would be ammo ( I know you said you’ve used it before). CCI/Blazer seems to work best for me.
    #3 (If running FA). Make sure kit is clean and running smooth so there are no issues with tripping the lever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another thing is that the .22LR has very little energy, so consider a light lube on the internal bolt to ensure reliable function. I like Rem lube in the yellow can, and works best when very clean. Otherwise, it could be old ammo, too.
    Who else thinks the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms is a convenience store?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by viriceman View Post
    #1 culprit would be the hammer spring. Make sure you use a rifle spring (vs. pistol or burst)
    #2 would be ammo ( I know you said you’ve used it before). CCI/Blazer seems to work best for me.
    #3 (If running FA). Make sure kit is clean and running smooth so there are no issues with tripping the lever.
    I find that the CCI MiniMag ammo works best, not the CCI/Blazer. ;)
    Sparkplugs are irrelevant.
    Plenty of HK's and clones.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

^^^ What he said.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I haven't made any changes beyond cleaning the gun, but I went back out to the range Sunday morning. It was way too cold to be out there so I didn't get to try as much as I wanted. I did narrow it down a little. I'm only getting the light strikes in full auto. I ran a couple mags through on semi-auto and it worked perfectly. On full auto it happened several times per mag.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The 22 bolt is having problems fully tripping the lever. I polished my lever, registered sear and the bottom surface of the bolt so as to make the whole action as smooth as possible by using high grit (3000) sandpaper. You can get almost a mirror finish on the areas where the bolt slides over the trip lever and where the lever depresses the sear arm. After a while you can really feel the difference as you “cycle” the pack by cocking the hammer back and depressing the trip with your thumb. On an SEF pack I can run mini-mags (yes the best); CCI Blazer; and CCI std vel (with a can) flawlessly and with a burst pack close to 99%. In center fire cals its 100%.
    What you are striving for is to have the lever actually trip with the lowest amount of pressure from the bolt and you can also help it by bending the sear spring so it has less tension pushing the sear towards the rear. The hardest part is just being able to get your pack back together

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by viriceman View Post
    The 22 bolt is having problems fully tripping the lever. I polished my lever, registered sear and the bottom surface of the bolt so as to make the whole action as smooth as possible by using high grit (3000) sandpaper. You can get almost a mirror finish on the areas where the bolt slides over the trip lever and where the lever depresses the sear arm. After a while you can really feel the difference as you “cycle” the pack by cocking the hammer back and depressing the trip with your thumb. On an SEF pack I can run mini-mags (yes the best); CCI Blazer; and CCI std vel (with a can) flawlessly and with a burst pack close to 99%. In center fire cals its 100%.
    What you are striving for is to have the lever actually trip with the lowest amount of pressure from the bolt and you can also help it by bending the sear spring so it has less tension pushing the sear towards the rear. The hardest part is just being able to get your pack back together��
    Good tips right here and worth noting.

I ran a box of CCI blazer in semi that ran flawless but have yet to do so in FA. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

UPDATE:
    Gave the gun an extra thorough cleaning and went back out to the range. Tried a few different ammos:
    Remington Golden Bullet: light strikes
    Aguila standard velocity: not strong enough to cycle next round
    CCI Mini-Mag: still getting light strikes
    Remington Thunderbolt: this is the ammo I mainly use and it has run flawlessly before. Today though I got a few longer bursts than normal but I'm still getting the light strikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links