Limb saver on G3 stock (or other recoil pad experiences) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Limb saver on G3 stock (or other recoil pad experiences)

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have an MSG90 Buffer and 21 pad on my G3 clone built from an IB parts kit, a PCS buffer and 21 pad on my G3k. My kids regularly shoot both with the G3 being my sons favorite since time he was 8. They are the best 2 upgrades you can do, maybe it's in my head but I feel the msg90 buffer does a better job between the 2, the next improvement is a muzzle break which tests done (I do not recall the poster demonstrated between 15-40 percent improvements in a bench rested rifles movement. Between the three upgrades If your wife doesnt find it more pleasant it's a psychological thing or you need to verify the bolt gap to be sure rifle is set up correctly. Honestly the 21 buttpad should be your first upgrade , followed by buffer, then the break. The only downsides to the breaks is the noise level increase and the abusing your neighbors on the benches besides you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    My son traded me a "Heavy Buffer" for my Springfield Enhanced buffer.
    We both preferred the enhanced buffer's recoil reduction.
    For what it's worth.

I belive you, but I am pretty sure it’s because of ultralong original stock that makes recoilcontroll so difficult.
    With a stock with normal LOP and a better height of buttplate the difference is much less

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    I have an MSG90 Buffer and 21 pad on my G3 clone built from an IB parts kit, a PCS buffer and 21 pad on my G3k. My kids regularly shoot both with the G3 being my sons favorite since time he was 8. They are the best 2 upgrades you can do, maybe it's in my head but I feel the msg90 buffer does a better job between the 2, the next improvement is a muzzle break which tests done (I do not recall the poster demonstrated between 15-40 percent improvements in a bench rested rifles movement. Between the three upgrades If your wife doesnt find it more pleasant it's a psychological thing or you need to verify the bolt gap to be sure rifle is set up correctly. Honestly the 21 buttpad should be your first upgrade , followed by buffer, then the break. The only downsides to the breaks is the noise level increase and the abusing your neighbors on the benches besides you.
    Original LOP is like 15” and very few humans do benefit from that Lenght.
    So best thing to do is to cut LOP to same length as your other favourite rifles and shotguns have.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Perhaps, I have considered your stocks, I have 4 different stocks as is. I do like the adjustment aspect. My first time firing my M16a2 with full body armor was at night in combat, having the ability to adjust the stock to compensate for that would have made a huge difference. I do like traditional stocks, at least the look, I have even considered if someone produced a shorter stock that accepted the buffer and buttpad I would give it a try. For most of my range shooting I do not notice it but I do make use of a bipod which offsets the shouldering issues of a long LOP, this is my daughter playing with my G3 cloneLimb saver on G3 stock (or other recoil pad experiences)-20181129_075041.jpg

I have enough junk surplus buttstocks maybe I'll experiment by cutting down and reinstalling the stock pin tubes.
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 12-26-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Perhaps, I have considered your stocks, I have 4 different stocks as is. I do like the adjustment aspect. My first time firing my M16a2 with full body armor was at night in combat, having the ability to adjust the stock to compensate for that would have made a huge difference. I do like traditional stocks, at least the look, I have even considered if someone produced a shorter stock that accepted the buffer and buttpad I would give it a try. For most of my range shooting I do not notice it but I do make use of a bipod which offsets the shouldering issues of a long LOP, this is my daughter playing with my G3 cloneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181129_075041.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	221774
    In prone the extreme LOP is not an issue, but as offhand gun it’s a real issue.
    A standard G3 is like an M16A2 that got LOP extended 1,5”

Not the hump on the stock forces the LOP to be excessive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am currently using a Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine Stock (commercial spec) on the Spuhr R-410 buffer tube/backplate assembly with a heavy two stage buffer and find it to be most excellent. Had to trim about .250 inch / 6mm off the front edge of the little Magpul "nose piece" adapter and then the Spuhr parts and Magpul parts interface beautifully.

The Spuhr stuff is nice the way it comes, but experience has taught me that access to good iron sights RIGHT THIS INSTANT is not optional.

Magpul collapsible stocks (commercial spec) go right on the Spuhr tube as well, but do not lock in the forward most position - not a deal breaker for me. My next experiment is going to be the MOE stock with removable cheek piece for use with optics. If good results I'll take a Milspec MOE, open up the inside diameter a bit with 1" barstock and sandpaper until it fits the Spuhr tube tight and wobble free and call it a "win". This works - did it with a Milspec CTR - just want to omit the need for the extra locking lever.

Hope this is of interest to some, and hope we see more cool stuff from Spuhr.

It occurs to me I should stop working with my HK's long enough to learn how to post some pics.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman8 View Post
    I am currently using a Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine Stock (commercial spec) on the Spuhr R-410 buffer tube/backplate assembly with a heavy two stage buffer and find it to be most excellent. Had to trim about .250 inch / 6mm off the front edge of the little Magpul "nose piece" adapter and then the Spuhr parts and Magpul parts interface beautifully.

The Spuhr stuff is nice the way it comes, but experience has taught me that access to good iron sights RIGHT THIS INSTANT is not optional.

Magpul collapsible stocks (commercial spec) go right on the Spuhr tube as well, but do not lock in the forward most position - not a deal breaker for me. My next experiment is going to be the MOE stock with removable cheek piece for use with optics. If good results I'll take a Milspec MOE, open up the inside diameter a bit with 1" barstock and sandpaper until it fits the Spuhr tube tight and wobble free and call it a "win". This works - did it with a Milspec CTR - just want to omit the need for the extra locking lever.

Hope this is of interest to some, and hope we see more cool stuff from Spuhr.

It occurs to me I should stop working with my HK's long enough to learn how to post some pics.
    Thanks!

Never tried that actually:)

However at the same time as G3 irons are VERY good their height is just way to low.
    So If I was using the gun in a way that I would need back up ironsights I would probably fit some flip ups to the G3 so the irons get same height as Optics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

QUOTE=Spuhr;3459704]Thanks!

Never tried that actually:)

However at the same time as G3 irons are VERY good their height is just way to low.
    So If I was using the gun in a way that I would need back up ironsights I would probably fit some flip ups to the G3 so the irons get same height as Optics
    [/QUOTE]

I Agree. I would love to build (or have built I should say) a G3/HK 91 with welded M1913 sections front and rear at the correct height you mention to install nice flip-ups. Then I could just enjoy your excellent R-410 stock the way it is and skip the junior-genius modifications.

Any chance there could be Spuhr plastic in the future (for the R-410 system) which is intended for use with existing G3 sights ? I realize that would be going in a different direction then your original intention, but would be VERY cool. I have my second R-410 on the way - if I work up enough courage I may try grinding / sanding / re-shaping one of the buttstocks - basically removing the rib on top to allow a good cheek weld. Another mad-scientist experiment, but what the heck.

My understanding is that all aluminum in Spuhr products is 7075 alloy - is that correct Sir ? Thank you for your input and time - it is a pleasure to have you in this forum.

Hopefully there are some useful ideas in here for members interested in stock improvement and recoil management

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by rifleman8; 12-27-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Does anyone know if the HK21 rubber pad works on surplus wood stocks?
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    Does anyone know if the HK21 rubber pad works on surplus wood stocks?
    A member did this - I want to say about six months ago - and shared a great post with good pics. Sorry I don't remember exactly who or when but it is here in "long gun talk" somewhere. It was not too complicated a modification either.
    I am going looking for another old post where a member had started welding / machining M1913 sections fore and aft on a 91 so he could install bolt-on flip ups. If you listen carefully you can almost hear the MR762 guys groaning "Just join the 21st century already!!!" :) Anyway if I run into the 21 pad / wood stock post before you I'll send you the info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links