Thread: G3 wood stock disassembly

pof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to do this for my mp5 badly

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

One has to in order to access the rear screw on the buffer.

DG
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    TacticalBeard,

That appears to be the makers mark stamped into the end of the stock, but I don't know who the company is. Not even sure anybody has ever done any research into what companies made the wood for the early rifles.

Do Not sand that stock if you don't have too and do NOT clear coat that wood stock. Do a search on how to refinish a stock using an oil finish. Tung, linseed, or whatever, there are a few out there. Read and decide which one you want to use. Just no clear coat.

Verwenden Sie keine klare Farbe auf dem Holzschaft meiner Gewehre!
    -Ludwig Vorgrimler

From the man himself...

Good skill with the restoration of your stock.

G57
    Thanks for an idea on what the mark was. I don’t need to sand it the woods in very nice condition only very minor dings. I’ll look more into oils you’ve mentioned but why not just clear coat it with some kind of clear coat gun finish?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I just picked up a set of wood furniture for my G3 a couple of weeks ago. Haven't even tried to put it on yet. I'm curious as to why you wanted to remove the butt pad?
    There’s another screw that holds the assembly together that’s only accessible from inside the stock. I took all the original metal off to get only the wood and put it on my allready cerakoted PTR metal

Just so happens 60ish year old things can get pretty stuck together over time and it took a lot of work to get it apart

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalBeard View Post
    There’s another screw that holds the assembly together that’s only accessible from inside the stock. I took all the original metal off to get only the wood and put it on my allready cerakoted PTR metal

Just so happens 60ish year old things can get pretty stuck together over time and it took a lot of work to get it apart
    Thanks for the explanation.
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tacticalbeard,

The short and sweet, normal clear coats are not as durable as an oil finish. A clear coat will normally just dry on top of the wood and can crack and chip if it gets banged around and is much harder to touch up. An oil finish gets absorbed into the wood and provides better protection and is easier to touch up. If your clear coat is to glossy it will not look correct on a military inspired rifle, an oil finish will.

There is a lot to learn, but there are many good tutorials on how to finish a wood stock on the web. Just read a few and you will know which direction you want to go and which oil you want to use.

G57

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like the tung oil, keep in mind linseed oil is house paint without the pigment.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    I like the tung oil, keep in mind linseed oil is house paint without the pigment.
    And house paint has proven durable for decades, what's your point?
    BTW, boiled linseed oil isn't raw linseed oil. There's a difference.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Our Southern Arizona Summers make linseed oiled gun wood sticky to the touch.

Tung works pretty well.

DG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links