PSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: PSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    The only "factory" PSG1-type rifle that I am aware of is the Springfield Armory HBCS, with Leupold Model LP49801 Gold Ring Vari-X III 6.5x20x40mm scope, PSG-1 trigger pack, Versa-Pod bipod and mount, Smith Enterprise custom muzzle brake, and Buffer Technologies recoil buffer!!!

Tony

I completely forgot about the Springfield HBCS. Springfield really had a few unique rifles over the years, from surplus Mauser SP68 sniper rifles to the SA-1 semi-auto M-60.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M1ASPRINGFIELD View Post
    Just curious, anyone hear anything about the quality of the JLD barrels? I can't find a stamp or proof mark on the barrel anywhere, so I can guess it's not HK for sure. Thanks!
    I don't remember hearing any complaints. I don't have any details about who made them or what blanks they're from. Up until about 6 years ago you would see one these barrels goes up for sale occasionally.
    M1ASPRINGFIELD likes this.
    A voice from the past whispers in my ear, “Brethren, keep your powder dry.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the delay, pics finally attached. Any info based on what you see would be appreciated:PSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image1.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image4.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image3.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image2.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image5.jpeg

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sorry for the delay, pics finally attached. Any info based on what you see would be appreciated:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	226086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	226088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	226090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	562.6 KB 
ID:	226092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	737.3 KB 
ID:	226094
    Looks nice. Also I could be wrong but that looks like a PSG1 length (26 inch) / profile barrel. From those photos it looks like a PSG1/ MSG90 trunion extension will probably slide right over your barrel. If you take a photo without the forearm we could probably tell you for sure.

From the way it looks the barrel should not need to be pulled unless you want to have a US made MSG90/ PSG1 trunion installed instead of a trunion extension. Personally I would not pull the barrel unless I was going to replace it. If it shoots good then I would just add the extension so the forearm is correctly supported. As they say.... "If it aint broke don't fix it".

I just sold a spare IGF US made PSG1/ MSG90 trunnion extension to another member last October.
    Last edited by The_Great_308; 02-19-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    M1ASPRINGFIELD likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Great_308 View Post
    Looks nice. Also I could be wrong but that looks like a PSG1 length (26 inch) / profile barrel. From those photos it looks like a PSG1/ MSG90 trunion extension will probably slide right over your barrel. If you take a photo without the forearm we could probably tell you for sure.

From the way it looks the barrel should not need to be pulled unless you want to have a US made MSG90/ PSG1 trunion installed instead of a trunion extension. Personally I would not pull the barrel unless I was going to replace it. If it shoots good then I would just add the extension so the forearm is correctly supported. As they say.... "If it aint broke don't fix it".

I just sold a spare IGF US made PSG1/ MSG90 trunnion extension to another member last October.
    Well, glad you asked me to check, it is indeed a 26" barrel! As far as the trunion extension, I had ordered one by BlackWing off RobertRTG.com, and the diameter for the barrel was only about .80" (msg90 profile?), so it was a no-go for the 1" PSG profile. But luckily, I have the world's best brother-in-law, and he was able to mill out the center to 1" without breaking through to the shallow depression for the barrel.

Overall, I'm feeling prety solid about this. The charging handle will be replaced by a US made one for compliance, and also because the current one looks like a solid blob of black bubble-gum.

PSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image4.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image3.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image2.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image7.jpegPSG-1 on an SLG95 reciever?-image1.jpeg
    Last edited by M1ASPRINGFIELD; 02-20-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    mmissile likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It looks like you have a really good start for your clone build. Now it just depends on how far you want to go with it.

You could add the receiver rails, silent bolt close, PSG 1 lower, PSG 1 trigger group and PSG 1 stock. Which would make an awesome clone but it would also be really expensive.

A much more affordable route would be to just build more of a precision Hk91 rather than a true PSG clone. Send a HK91 lower and trigger group to Williams trigger specialties for either his standard set trigger or his SG1 style set trigger and add a Mag Pul PRS2 stock. It will probably be a pretty accurate rifle either way.

I can not tell for sure just by looking which barrel you have. However, if your upper was put together around the time those receivers were imported there is a real possibility that might be an Urbach barrel (There may be some people on here that can tell from the photos). There were not many parts for PSG 1 and MSG 90 clone builds until fairly recently (The last 10 years or so). Back in the day there weren't very many PSG1 clone barrels to get and sometimes you had to wait a very long time to get one. Of course I guess it could just be a custom heavy barrel that someone had made but finding someone that can flute the chamber of an HK barrel is not an easy thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Great_308 View Post
    It looks like you have a really good start for your clone build. Now it just depends on how far you want to go with it.
    And that, Sir, is the million dollar question- spend the big bucks for an "authentic clone", or just make it a solid shooter that's "close enough". Not sure if I could ever get the value back out of the high-dollar route, as even though the reciever was formed on HK tooling, it will never be a "true HK".

Thanks for the tip on the barrel, I will go down the internet wormhole and research that.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

And that, Sir, is the million dollar question- spend the big bucks for an "authentic clone", or just make it a solid shooter that's "close enough". Not sure if I could ever get the value back out of the high-dollar route, as even though the reciever was formed on HK tooling, it will never be a "true HK".

Thanks for the tip on the barrel, I will go down the internet wormhole and research that.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Make it a shooter, and go the budget route. If it was on an HK receiver, I could see going "authentic" -- but even then you probably wouldn't get the value back out of it if you were to sell it.

Case in point: there were SR9's on Gunbroker recently that had PSG1 trigger groups, stocks and so on. They sat around for awhile at the $3500 level and finally sold. Market price for all the PSG parts and furniture would have fetched probably $2000. So $1500 for an SR9 barreled receiver? Kind of a steal from that perspective.
    Own: HK91, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, P8A1, USP SD, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5? Assuming I can find an honest seller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Make it a shooter, and go the budget route. If it was on an HK receiver, I could see going "authentic" -- but even then you probably wouldn't get the value back out of it if you were to sell it.

Case in point: there were SR9's on Gunbroker recently that had PSG1 trigger groups, stocks and so on. They sat around for awhile at the $3500 level and finally sold. Market price for all the PSG parts and furniture would have fetched probably $2000. So $1500 for an SR9 barreled receiver? Kind of a steal from that perspective.
    My thoughts as well. The marketplace doesn't see the "value" on builds unless they are for extremely hard/impossible to find models built with 100% HK parts. I don't think putting a few thousand more into this build for all HK parts would ever see return on investment. Since this will never be a true HK, I think I'll likely build it with "good" parts, shoot the hell outa it and never sell it.
    The_Great_308 and mmissile like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FWIW - I have a correct Dyer MSG90A1 on an hk receiver - was a labor of love that took me years to find all the parts including bolt carrier group and Hensoldt etc. has forward assist, free floated front site, and uses an Urbach barrel from when Murray was still cranking them out. I love the gun, it is very accurate but it was very expensive to build over 10 years ago. No idea what it would cost now, but it probably is crazy money.

If you think you have a decent barrel there then I say it is worth it to go with correct factory lower, trigger and stock which can be parted and sold separately and will hold their value. I would not bother with the rest of the more expensive permanent upgrades. You will still have a good, fun shooter and you can get your money out when you decide you have had enough. My $0.02.
    Rollerlocks....

*Locked out of my original AKR account...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links