Nato spec ammo in SL6 and SL7
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nato spec ammo in SL6 and SL7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nato spec ammo in SL6 and SL7

I have acquired both an SL6 and an SL7. Is it OK to use 5.56 & 7.62 in these respectively vs. 223 and .308? Also, what bullet weights have users found work best for accuracy out of each rifle?
    Thank you.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I always use in my sl7 Federal 150 .308 Power Shock and it groups well with this type of load. I never can remember if you can use .223 in a 5.56 or the .308 in 7.62 or visa versa, so for this reason, I use what it states on the HK weapon. My SL7 says .308 and that is what I use. I think both the 5.56 and 7.62 have higher pressures than the .223 and .308 and in later models of the hk91 and hk93 they changed to the NATO rounds, so I would say you could use them, but to be on the safe side, I just stick with the .308 and .223. This load of .308 seems to do well and I have had no problems with my SL7. If I ever figure out how to post photos, I will have my last range session with the sl7. It did well, slings the brass like every HK delayed roller locking rifle. By the way, these are great rifles and one of HKs best kept secrets. Too bad they do not make them any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can use NATO spec ammo in both rifles. They are the same barrel/ bolt systems as the G3/91 and 33/93 and are built to the same standards as their military counterparts; just configured with different trigger groups and receivers to set in their wood stocks. They are only marked .308 Win and 223 Rem for export purposes. This is the same reasons that 91s and 93s are marked with civilian caliber designations.

As they were configured off HK's military actions, stick to bullet weights that the barrels were designed to stabilize. 150s are good as they're close enough to the 147 grain bullet weight that is the NATO standard. Stick to the lighter 52-55 grain bullets for the sl6 as the 1 in 12 will not be enough to stabilize heavier bullets. Any quality M193 load will work well, but try a few and see which one your rifle likes most and stick with that.

Before you shoot them, strip them down and inspect their recoil buffers. If you find any damage, replace it with a new one. There are new ones with an updated buffer compound that are better than the originals. Just do a google search to find them. I can't remember the company off the top of my head, perhaps the next person to post will know.

I shoot IMI 193 in my SL6 and it does quite well. Enjoy both of your rifles.

Regards,

G57
    Last edited by Green57; 03-06-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    TiroFijo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have a .308 91 and my research indicates that 7.62 through it, or any other .308 is no problem. Really old 7.62's could have a problem with .308.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Green57 likes this.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've had some weird things happen with Federal XM193 in my SL6, kept blowing my modded AR15 magazine out of the rifle, switched to .223 and haven't had that issue since. Could be a fluke, I dunno, using modified magazines can get you strange results sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

egroeg,

I have a factory two, and a ten round mags that I use in my SL6 with IMI M193 and have never had a problem. Does the Federal XM193 blow your factory mag out of the rifle? If not, I think you have isolated your problem.

G57

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    Before you shoot them, strip them down and inspect their recoil buffers. If you find any damage, replace it with a new one. There are new ones with an updated buffer compound that are better than the originals. Just do a google search to find them. I can't remember the company off the top of my head, perhaps the next person to post will know.
    This is slightly off-topic, but would there be any danger to the gun shooting with a worn out buffer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BullittSL7,

Yes, depending on how bad the buffer is degraded. Once the buffer is compromised it will only get worse with each shot until it can no longer perform it's intended job. Once that happens, damage will occur to the bolt carrier and receiver (I'm not sure which one receives the most damage though).

If your buffer shows signs of degradation, replace it before shooting your rifle again. The buffer is only twenty dollars or so including postage. A new bolt carrier and receiver parts are substantially harder to find and demand a premium price when purchased. You don't want to do that when a simple buffer change was all that was required in the first place.

G57

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK Feedback

Thanks for the valuable insight. Interestingly enough, when I contacted HK in Chantilly, the gal is customer service said I should only use what ammo is spec'd on the magazines, not Nato-spec. No expalanation as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    You can use NATO spec ammo in both rifles. They are the same barrel/ bolt systems as the G3/91 and 33/93 and are built to the same standards as their military counterparts; just configured with different trigger groups and receivers to set in their wood stocks. They are only marked .308 Win and 223 Rem for export purposes. This is the same reasons that 91s and 93s are marked with civilian caliber designations.

As they were configured off HK's military actions, stick to bullet weights that the barrels were designed to stabilize. 150s are good as they're close enough to the 147 grain bullet weight that is the NATO standard. Stick to the lighter 52-55 grain bullets for the sl6 as the 1 in 12 will not be enough to stabilize heavier bullets. Any quality M193 load will work well, but try a few and see which one your rifle likes most and stick with that.

I shoot IMI 193 in my SL6 and it does quite well. Enjoy both of your rifles.

Regards,

G57

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links